GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I actually like Raymond but for myself I really only criticized the guy because you liked him. For others maybe they didn't like him or they got irritated that you carved guys like Kassian, Booth, Gillis,Higgins, Garrison, etc for really no reason at all.

It will be interesting to see which two of the four tweener wingers Gillis moves forward with. If you base it on this years play you stick with Raymond and Hansen and try to get them to sign extensions in the 3 million per range. If you base it one the last three seasons the team may prefer Higgins over Raymond. You can't keep them all and Booth already has one foot out the door atm and another on a bannana peel. Not really his fault however as he has had three serious injuries in two seasons.
Hey Bee Beers, with the no. 1 factoid that we cannot score, it's imperative that Luggage Eyes gets Hansen and Raymond signed to extensions promptly, otherwise our secondary scoring will be completely Boothed and Pahlssoned.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hockey Widow wrote:Amazing what a 3 game winning streak can do. Defence looked good with Edler out. OK, Alberts sucked.
I get the AA criticism but it sure is nice to have a guy back there that puts his body into some big checks.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
It will be interesting to see which two of the four tweener wingers Gillis moves forward with. If you base it on this years play you stick with Raymond and Hansen and try to get them to sign extensions in the 3 million per range. If you base it one the last three seasons the team may prefer Higgins over Raymond. You can't keep them all and Booth already has one foot out the door atm and another on a bannana peel. Not really his fault however as he has had three serious injuries in two seasons.
There's no reason why we can't sign Raymond & Higgins for next year somewhere in the 2.5 - 3 range.
Hansen gets done the year after when the cap will go up.

Obviously we need to move a goalie, Booth & probably Ballard get a golden handshake goodbye
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With the way Booth has played on forward those two games, and assuming he has a decent week, his trade value may have risen a bit. The problem is we know Booth won't be back and we are an injury away from having a disaster on the back end. Perhaps we can trade him in the off season. But I agree, if we trade Luongo and trade/buyout Ballard and booth we can keep both Raymond and Higgins. 2 year deals for both?

Although I think Raymond will get 4+ as an UFA. Too rich for our blood I think.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

At this point, bringing back Raymond and Higgens are no-brainer moves unless there is a better option. Unfortunately, Booth is not a better option at the moment. Hansen still has a year left, fortunately.

Nice to see Garrison and Schroeder playing well and putting up points. A Gillis FA signing and draft pick...hmmmm. Garrison has quietly impressed me. I didn't get the criticism earlier on in the season. His offensive game has struggled, but he has been all around a solid player. He's not as offensively gifted as Edler, but is much more solid defensively. The point shot seems to be coming along, but right now they are forcing it IMO. Still, he's on pace for 13 goals over 82 games and he has had a slow start. He makes any potential Edler trade much more palatable.

Sestito hasn't actually been a terrible pick-up either. We've gone through so many 4th liner "heavyweight" wingers over the years, it's nearly shocking to see one not be a total liability out there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If there is one area where I will give Gillis credit is having the faith in Mason Raymond to rebound from nearly being wheel-chaired for the rest of his life and constantly hearing all the media and fans around here dog piling on him all last year.

Sign this kid to an extension.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:At this point, bringing back Raymond and Higgens are no-brainer moves unless there is a better option. Unfortunately, Booth is not a better option at the moment. Hansen still has a year left, fortunately.
this^
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:With the way Booth has played on forward those two games, and assuming he has a decent week, his trade value may have risen a bit. The problem is we know Booth won't be back and we are an injury away from having a disaster on the back end. Perhaps we can trade him in the off season. But I agree, if we trade Luongo and trade/buyout Ballard and booth we can keep both Raymond and Higgins. 2 year deals for both?

On the other hand, Raymond probably likes Vancouver and the guys that he plays with. He might be willing to take a home town discount to stay here
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:With the way Booth has played on forward those two games, and assuming he has a decent week, his trade value may have risen a bit. The problem is we know Booth won't be back and we are an injury away from having a disaster on the back end. Perhaps we can trade him in the off season. But I agree, if we trade Luongo and trade/buyout Ballard and booth we can keep both Raymond and Higgins. 2 year deals for both?

On the other hand, Raymond probably likes Vancouver and the guys that he plays with. He might be willing to take a home town discount to stay here
I have this nagging suspicion he wants to go home to Calgary. you can take the boy outta the country but...
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
I have this nagging suspicion he wants to go home to Calgary. you can take the boy outta the country but...
But Calgary's team sucks....
Or perhaps he takes a 2 yr deal in the $3 mil range, give it a shot to win big while the Sedins can still make it happen, and then see what works out down the road. After a couple of years the Cap goes up and teams will start to open their wallets
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Zamboni Driver wrote: But Calgary's team sucks....
Or perhaps he takes a 2 yr deal in the $3 mil range, give it a shot to win big while the Sedins can still make it happen, and then see what works out down the road. After a couple of years the Cap goes up and teams will start to open their wallets
After Gillis bitch slapped him over 200K last year I doubt he does the Canucks any favours on an extension.
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:If there is one area where I will give Gillis credit is having the faith in Mason Raymond to rebound from nearly being wheel-chaired for the rest of his life and constantly hearing all the media and fans around here dog piling on him all last year.

Mayray's stock will probably never be higher than right now... give up the hometown discount in exchange for no NTC or NMC and send him out east for a couple of picks in this lucrative draft in the summer....
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Players of Raymond's ilk are in tough negotiating this year with the falling cap. These are the guys taking it up the ass with the new CBA.

The deal prior to this current one wasn't bad and Raymond was expected to prove his value. Unfortunately for him, he was injured for much of it and his development stunted. Hence the lowball, here's your chance to prove your worth last deal.

He's in an interesting spot for negotiating, but unless he signs with a team with plenty of cap space, he doesn't have a strong position.

.........think we can get a 2nd for him next week.......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If there is one area where I will give Gillis credit is having the faith in Mason Raymond to rebound from nearly being wheel-chaired for the rest of his life and constantly hearing all the media and fans around here dog piling on him all last year.

Mayray's stock will probably never be higher than right now... give up the hometown discount in exchange for no NTC or NMC and send him out east for a couple of picks in this lucrative draft in the summer....
If he wasn't committed to stay with the Canucks, why would he sign with us, he'd just wait till he's a UFA this summer and control where he wants to go.
We don't need a mid round pick, (what do you expect to get for a rental player?) what we need is to make a run for the Cup now while the Sedins are close to their prime.
In a few years we may be in rebuilding mode, but when you get a winger like Raymond who can produce 20 - 25 goals on the 2nd/3rd line you want to resign them, not pawn them off for future projects.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dhabums wrote: I get the AA criticism but it sure is nice to have a guy back there that puts his body into some big checks.
Agreed, until GMMG acquires the BEAST we need back there, Alberts provides some much needed physicality.
____
Try to focus on someday.