Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

Out of curiosity, how does a guy who has 77 points in 519 career games end up with a $4.6M contract? :wow:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:Out of curiosity, how does a guy who has 77 points in 519 career games end up with a $4.6M contract? :wow:
Komisarek is a big and physical stay-at-home defenseman. He is not expected to put up big points. His contract is no doubt too much. However, if he could be the crease-clearing defenseman and be able to play on the right side (RH). His $4.5m cap hit might be more useful to the Canucks than Ballard's $4.2m cap hit.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:
Mëds wrote:Out of curiosity, how does a guy who has 77 points in 519 career games end up with a $4.6M contract? :wow:
Komisarek is a big and physical stay-at-home defenseman. He is not expected to put up big points. His contract is no doubt too much. However, if he could be the crease-clearing defenseman and be able to play on the right side (RH). His $4.5m cap hit might be more useful to the Canucks than Ballard's $4.2m cap hit.

I agree with this but only if we trade Ballard. We still have the option of buying players out next year but it would be easier to swallow buying out one year of Komisarek especially if we get him for nothing and are able to trade Ballard for whatever.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

I agree with this but only if we trade Ballard. We still have the option of buying players out next year but it would be easier to swallow buying out one year of Komisarek especially if we get him for nothing and are able to trade Ballard for whatever.
I suggested a while ago that MG should try to trade Ballard straight up for Komisarek. With the leaves putting Komisarek on the waivers, the Canucks should put a claim on him and trade Ballard for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There are still teams looking for a puck-rushing defenseman. ;)
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Same way Ballard got his. Or Mike Commodore with Columbus a few years ago.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Jovocop wrote:I suggested a while ago that MG should try to trade Ballard straight up for Komisarek. With the leaves putting Komisarek on the waivers, the Canucks should put a claim on him and trade Ballard for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There are still teams looking for a puck-rushing defenseman. ;)
If het gets claimed by Vancouver, it would perhaps make it easier for Gillis to trade Ballard because there is no big pressure to replace him in return.

The big question is, how bad does a defenceman have to suck in order to be benched and waived by the leaves? I understand that he's not the fastest skater out there, but how do you go from being a quasi-stud for Montreal and play outright brain-dead?

Warning signs are there, but perhaps it's worth it to shake up the status quo and give Gillis more options for trades.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Serious discussion about the leaves? It's about time for this again...
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Serious discussion about the leaves? It's about time for this again...
:rofl:

Thanks, I guess we needed that. That pic never gets old.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I suggested a while ago that MG should try to trade Ballard straight up for Komisarek. With the leaves putting Komisarek on the waivers, the Canucks should put a claim on him and trade Ballard for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There are still teams looking for a puck-rushing defenseman. ;)
If het gets claimed by Vancouver, it would perhaps make it easier for Gillis to trade Ballard because there is no big pressure to replace him in return.

The big question is, how bad does a defenceman have to suck in order to be benched and waived by the leaves? I understand that he's not the fastest skater out there, but how do you go from being a quasi-stud for Montreal and play outright brain-dead?

Warning signs are there, but perhaps it's worth it to shake up the status quo and give Gillis more options for trades.
Sometimes players just need changes to get their careers back on track. Gelina is a classic example. The Canucks picked him from waviers and he became a 30 goal scorer for two straight seasons. I am not saying that Komisarek will be a 50 point defenseman. However, he seems to be a better fit for the Canucks than Ballard. If MG could get a pick for Ballard or straight up for Komisarek, it is a well-worth gamble. The worst case scenario will be buying out after this season. The best case scenario is the Canucks get a physical RH defenseman that fills a positional need.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Komisarek? :rofl: Boy, are we ever getting desperate.

Down to the last 3rd of the season and the home stretch to the playoffs, who could ever imagine seeing Sam Gagner and Nazeem Kadri ahead of Hank and Dank Sedin on the Scoring Leader Board? :oops: :crazy:

BLAME AV! BLAME AV! BLAME AV!

Anybody catch John Shorthouse tearing Sekaris and Price a new one on the Canuck Lunch for Sekaris and Price suggesting this is all the Coaches fault? Loved it. All these panty bunchers whining like little girls that it's the coaches fault is rich comedy.

I can understand that just by the sure length of how long AV has been here that that alone might be grounds for a fresh new face but to actually blame all this on the coaching staff is fucking hilarious. THIS SHITE HOCKEY WE'VE BEEN PLAYING SINCE THE LAST HALF OF LAST SEASON IS NOT THE COACHES FAULT.

Gillis blew by expecitng Schroeder, the Cyclops Malhotra and Lappiere could handle centre duty after Hank. He blew it by not cutting Malhotra loose in the off-season, knowing how handicapped he was and not finding a legitimate centre knowing that we were going to be without Kesler for a long while. He blew by not re-signing Salo, he blew it by throwing a shit load of money at a defenseman with only one legitimate season under his belt, he blew it by not dealing with the goalie situation prior to going into this season, he blew it by not acquiring a legitimate scoring winger for the top 2 lines, he blew it by not getting a right handed shot defenseman, he blew it with his arrogance in thinking that Schultz was a sure signing here in Vancouver.

This all falls on the shoulders of Gillis, the buck stops there on all decisions, from on ice players to off ice staff to the Chicago Wolves, top to the bottom. This is what you get Aquaman by hiring an arrogant Player Agent with no experience as a GM and the mind set to oversell players who are not as good as he thinks they are. Ya should not have taken the advice from Tony Gallagher to hire Eye Bags. We should have learned from The Coyotes colossal mistake when they hired that Player Agent Barnett is it? Go back to your day job Gillis
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:This is what you get Aquaman by hiring an arrogant Player Agent with no experience as a GM and blah blah blah
You mean a step back over the course of a year after four years of progress leading to unprecedented success for the franchise?

Hell, we might have a cup if the Bruins hadn't hired former player agent Peter Chiarelli to build the team that beat us..
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Komisarek? :rofl: Boy, are we ever getting desperate.

Down to the last 3rd of the season and the home stretch to the playoffs, who could ever imagine seeing Sam Gagner and Nazeem Kadri ahead of Hank and Dank Sedin on the Scoring Leader Board? :oops: :crazy:

BLAME AV! BLAME AV! BLAME AV!

Anybody catch John Shorthouse tearing Sekaris and Price a new one on the Canuck Lunch for Sekaris and Price suggesting this is all the Coaches fault? Loved it. All these panty bunchers whining like little girls that it's the coaches fault is rich comedy.

I can understand that just by the sure length of how long AV has been here that that alone might be grounds for a fresh new face but to actually blame all this on the coaching staff is fucking hilarious. THIS SHITE HOCKEY WE'VE BEEN PLAYING SINCE THE LAST HALF OF LAST SEASON IS NOT THE COACHES FAULT.

Gillis blew by expecitng Schroeder, the Cyclops Malhotra and Lappiere could handle centre duty after Hank. He blew it by not cutting Malhotra loose in the off-season, knowing how handicapped he was and not finding a legitimate centre knowing that we were going to be without Kesler for a long while. He blew by not re-signing Salo, he blew it by throwing a shit load of money at a defenseman with only one legitimate season under his belt, he blew it by not dealing with the goalie situation prior to going into this season, he blew it by not acquiring a legitimate scoring winger for the top 2 lines, he blew it by not getting a right handed shot defenseman, he blew it with his arrogance in thinking that Schultz was a sure signing here in Vancouver.

This all falls on the shoulders of Gillis, the buck stops there on all decisions, from on ice players to off ice staff to the Chicago Wolves, top to the bottom. This is what you get Aquaman by hiring an arrogant Player Agent with no experience as a GM and the mind set to oversell players who are not as good as he thinks they are. Ya should not have taken the advice from Tony Gallagher to hire Eye Bags. We should have learned from The Coyotes colossal mistake when they hired that Player Agent Barnett is it? Go back to your day job Gillis
Dude you are the master of hindsight theatrics :)
Your rant sounds great now but each example you point out was not so clear in the moment.

Salo was made of glass and was aging and the writing was on the wall, who knew he had another good year left in him at the time? Not you methinks, I doubt anyone's gonna find a post by you begging Gillis to sign Salo

As for lapiere and malhotra and making moves in the offseason that also sounds reasonable, except last off season there was the tiny issue of a lockout and work stoppage that lasted nearly 5 months... Not many trades happened throughout the league and hardly any trades have happened throughout the league since play resumed.

nice try on the pile on with the Garrison non mention, but actually the guy has done ok so far and looks to be a steady roster player for years to come. Good pick up actually

If we're gonna rant, how about your regular rant
Booth is a bible thumping bear baiter
Malhotra had the bad form to still want a job after sacrificing his eye for the cause.
Traded away Magic 40 for Ballard

At least these were real time beefs not the hindsight armchair variety
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:Anybody catch John Shorthouse tearing Sekaris and Price a new one on the Canuck Lunch for Sekaris and Price suggesting this is all the Coaches fault? Loved it. All these panty bunchers whining like little girls that it's the coaches fault is rich comedy.

Exactly!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote:BLAME AV! BLAME AV! BLAME AV!

RD, I get some of what you are saying and I would tend to lay some of the blame on MG and some on the players, but to say that it [the downward trend] isn't at least partially due to AV's coaching is just as faulty as saying it all is. Giggles has been so used to having the most skilled team on a nightly basis and being able to impose his system and strategy to dominate other teams, that when he no longer has the most skilled team and/or is unable to impose his will on the other team (whether due to injuries, lackluster play or MG's failings) he has been either unable or unwilling to adapt the system to give the team a better chance to win. Instead of adapting strategy, his solution has been and continues to be switching up the lines. It is now to the point where every team in the league knows the set plays of the Canucks (partially due our success at utilizing them) and due to that awareness other teams are becoming better at countering them. And yet the system, strategy and set plays remain the same. Isn't the definition of insanity continuing to repeat the same actions over and over while expecting different results? Okay, yes, hyperbole. AV is not insane. But the same songs that he keeps playing are getting old.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yawn .... fart.. at least the dude made one decent point here. Komisarek is a horrible player. DO NOT WANT !!!

He was halfway to a 2nd decent point but then he shit the bed. He's right it isn't all AV's fault but he is responsible for some of this mess.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”