3rd line center - deadline RENTALS?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 3rd line center - deadline RENTALS?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Unless Booth, Malhotra, and/or Kesler are/is on LTIR, the Canucks need cap space to get a decent third line centre. Ballard's $4.2m cap hit might be a good start.
Why wouldn't Booth & Malhotra be on IR/LTIR?
Doesn't seem like Booth will be back anytime soon

And a deadline pickup doesn't need the same cap space as if they were here the whole year
LTIR only applies if the team goes over the salary cap.

I think that if we added a guy like Dubinsky or whoever, we could THEN put Malhotra or Booth on LTIR, which allows us to go OVER the cap by the value of their contracts. It doesn't, however, remove them from the cap.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Sabres are weaker at centre than Vancouver. Forget them as a source.

Has a rental ever worked out?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Has a rental ever worked out?
No, not for the Canucks.

This is why I think we need to look at San Jose. They need to make some changes. Try to pry Pavelski outta there, I hear Boyle is on the block as well.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Just curious, with the Canucks having so many injuries to high priced players like Kes, Booth and Malhotra, do their salaries still count towards the cap? Just wondering if their time missed gives us more cap space to trade for a player?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Todd, no. Once the team exceeds the cap they can claim LTIR and exceed it by the amount of the injured players cap hits. They can't save up extra space by waiting to claim that exception.
Aaronp18 wrote:
Topper wrote: Has a rental ever worked out?
No, not for the Canucks.

This is why I think we need to look at San Jose. They need to make some changes. Try to pry Pavelski outta there, I hear Boyle is on the block as well.
You see what Friedman wrote about that team? Last time they missed the playoffs they lost 3000 season ticket subscribers.

Unless we're making them a better team in the here and now I don't see how we shake a player of that calibre loose from the Sharks.

Maybe if they want to exchange players who aren't working out (Clowe, Murray, Ballard, etc), otherwise I don't see a deal there.

Pavelski would be a great fit here though.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just curious, with the Canucks having so many injuries to high priced players like Kes, Booth and Malhotra, do their salaries still count towards the cap? Just wondering if their time missed gives us more cap space to trade for a player?
They can go over the cap by the amount of the long term injured player to pay for a replacement.

But...I don't think Kesler or Booth or Malhotra are on LTIR at the moment.

I think they are in just on IR, meaning the roster spot is available but with no relief from the cap at this time.

There is some question about malhotra being able to go on LTIR I believe
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote: Maybe if they want to exchange players who aren't working out (Clowe, Murray, Ballard, etc), otherwise I don't see a deal there.

Pavelski would be a great fit here though.
This is what I was thinking though, changes on both teams to spur some urgency.

Edler, Raymond

Pavelski, Demers

I'd consider Boyle but they would have to take Ballard back. I'd rather have a 36 year old Boyle at $6.6 than Ballard at $4.2. Could provide a much needed boost to the PP.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Unless Booth, Malhotra, and/or Kesler are/is on LTIR, the Canucks need cap space to get a decent third line centre. Ballard's $4.2m cap hit might be a good start.
Well aren't Booth and Malhotra in fact on the LTIR for the rest of the season??

$3.3Mil of Ballard's cap hit would still apply if he were with the Wolves.

Saaaay... what's Sammy "SHUTDOWN" Pahlsson doing these days? :mex:
Missed most of the season due to injury, but has played some 25 games for Modo, who were just eliminated in the playoffs, so yeah, he might be available. He does have a contract with Modo for next season, but I'm sure they could agree to lend him to the Nucks for the off season, which just started.

But if we're looking in the SEL, I'd be inclined to also take a long hard look at Jason Krog. Sure, he wasn't all that in the NHL, but he has more than 200 NHL games under hs belt and he put up some nice numbers as captain for the Wolves in 09/10 and 10/11, and has continued to do so for HV71 in the SEL since; 83 points in 105 games and another 7 in 8 playoff games. He had the best face-off stats in the SEL last season (60.9%!) and his team is down 3-1 against Linköping in the Swedish quarter finals. One more loss and his season ends. Do the Canucks still retain his rights? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Wouldn't those players have to clear waivers first?
The only HW the Canucks need
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

I saw a tweet of Kuzma's article in the Province today where he throws out the idea of Loungo for Ribeiro. How's that for a rental. One snippet is, "The Canucks would be hard pressed to find a player that would impact their team more." I see how it would make us better in the short term, but man is that ever a short sighted idea.

How awesome would it be if Loungo was traded for a rental player......

Honestly, if all that Gillis can get at the deadline for Loungo is an upcoming UFA, then count me in with the lets go for a lottery pick this year crowd.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Brick Tamland wrote:I saw a tweet of Kuzma's article in the Province today where he throws out the idea of Loungo for Ribeiro. How's that for a rental. One snippet is, "The Canucks would be hard pressed to find a player that would impact their team more." I see how it would make us better in the short term, but man is that ever a short sighted idea.

Honestly, if all that Gillis can get at the deadline for Loungo is an upcoming UFA, then count me in with the lets go for a lottery pick this year crowd.
What if Ribeiro were to agree to an extension or sign a new deal here? Then would you go wop for wop?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If we trade either goalie right now we need a goalie back to finish out the year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:If we trade either goalie right now we need a goalie back to finish out the year.
C'mon, you don't think Cannata is up for the job? :lol:

It's hard facts like that that make me think Lu won't be traded until after this season unless it's a whopper of a deal or something freaky happens in the head office.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ We would need a back-up for sure, but I'm sure we would be riding Cory/Luo (whichever is left) for the remaining 12 regular season games in that situation, so it wouldn't need to be somebody who'd be expected to play a bunch. There's only one back-to-back situation after the trade deadline.

How much would a Jason Labarbera cost? Couldn't be much.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

ukcanuck wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:I saw a tweet of Kuzma's article in the Province today where he throws out the idea of Loungo for Ribeiro. How's that for a rental. One snippet is, "The Canucks would be hard pressed to find a player that would impact their team more." I see how it would make us better in the short term, but man is that ever a short sighted idea.

What if Ribeiro were to agree to an extension or sign a new deal here? Then would you go wop for wop?
I think if he was under contract for a couple of more years then the conversation would be more serious. My main issue is with his UFA status at the end of the year coupled with giving up Loungo for a rental UFA. Gillis should probably at least think about him this summer, just not at the trade deadline when the Caps may try to fleece someone by asking for a Kings Ranson.

Ribeiro has his fair share of warts, but there is no denying his skill level. He would make this team better.