Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby paddy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Lain has been assigned to Chicago. I wonder if we will see him this year? Park his ass in front of the net on the PP!


Unless this team is out of it there is no need to see him and, frankly, with this staff and young players we would be best served if things go in another direction (coaching wise) before we see him...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
paddy
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:42 am
Location: kits

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 am

So Schroeder has been called up and will play tonight. He has had 4 points (1G & 3A) in 3 games with Chicago since his demotion.

Here's hoping some of that offense carries up to the Canucks, who are desperate for offense.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:07 pm

"The Vancouver Canucks will have to continue their battle for a playoff spot without the services of 28-year-old forward David Booth for quite a while.

The results of Booth’s MRI have come back and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault revealed that Booth will be out “indefinitely” with an ankle sprain, according to the Globe and Mail’s David Ebner.

Booth has been placed on the injured reserve list as a result."


Because he is on IR, should the injury carry over to the off season, he cannot be bought out. If however he recovers before the start of next season he can be bought out.

I'm hearing that expectations are that he may be done for the season, maybe able to return for the playoffs depending upon rehab.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby $lacker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:"The Vancouver Canucks will have to continue their battle for a playoff spot without the services of 28-year-old forward David Booth for quite a while.

The results of Booth’s MRI have come back and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault revealed that Booth will be out “indefinitely” with an ankle sprain, according to the Globe and Mail’s David Ebner.

Booth has been placed on the injured reserve list as a result."


Because he is on IR, should the injury carry over to the off season, he cannot be bought out. If however he recovers before the start of next season he can be bought out.

I'm hearing that expectations are that he may be done for the season, maybe able to return for the playoffs depending upon rehab.

I'm hearing high ankle sprain from a few different people, which if so you would think would be season ending and consistent with what you have heard.
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Lancer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:"The Vancouver Canucks will have to continue their battle for a playoff spot without the services of 28-year-old forward David Booth for quite a while.

The results of Booth’s MRI have come back and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault revealed that Booth will be out “indefinitely” with an ankle sprain, according to the Globe and Mail’s David Ebner.

Booth has been placed on the injured reserve list as a result."


Because he is on IR, should the injury carry over to the off season, he cannot be bought out. If however he recovers before the start of next season he can be bought out.

I'm hearing that expectations are that he may be done for the season, maybe able to return for the playoffs depending upon rehab.


Thanks for the update and info, HW.

Not surprising given what I saw of the incident and the team's luck this season with him.

Given what you say, it looks like the Canucks won't have to wait too long into the off-season to buy him out if that's what they want to do. I would expect that his rehab should at least be in line with the above prognosis.

Question for those who may know - does Booth's salary come off the team's cap for the rest of the season now, or does he have to be put on LTIR? If his cap space does come off now, it could open up the trade market for Gillis if the contract ends this summer.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:"The Vancouver Canucks will have to continue their battle for a playoff spot without the services of 28-year-old forward David Booth for quite a while.

The results of Booth’s MRI have come back and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault revealed that Booth will be out “indefinitely” with an ankle sprain, according to the Globe and Mail’s David Ebner.

Booth has been placed on the injured reserve list as a result."


Because he is on IR, should the injury carry over to the off season, he cannot be bought out. If however he recovers before the start of next season he can be bought out.

I'm hearing that expectations are that he may be done for the season, maybe able to return for the playoffs depending upon rehab.


Thanks for the update and info, HW.

Not surprising given what I saw of the incident and the team's luck this season with him.

Given what you say, it looks like the Canucks won't have to wait too long into the off-season to buy him out if that's what they want to do. I would expect that his rehab should at least be in line with the above prognosis.

Question for those who may know - does Booth's salary come off the team's cap for the rest of the season now, or does he have to be put on LTIR? If his cap space does come off now, it could open up the trade market for Gillis if the contract ends this summer.



A team gets relief if they are over the cap and then the relief is the amount over the cap they are.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Contrary to what some others around here think, I think losing Booth is a big loss. He's one of only a few players who goes to the dirty areas, can forecheck almost as well as Jannik Hansen and can hit pretty well. He drives play forward, and has surprised me with his solid two-way play.

More bad news in a season that has soured quickly and almost has me wishing the lockout never ended.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby vic » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Lain has been assigned to Chicago. I wonder if we will see him this year? Park his ass in front of the net on the PP!


Isn't that one of the reasons they have Kassian? Instead AV chooses to send out the smallest forward on the team to continue to pass the puck around the perimeter.
User avatar
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Tanti09 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:38 pm

vic wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Lain has been assigned to Chicago. I wonder if we will see him this year? Park his ass in front of the net on the PP!


Isn't that one of the reasons they have Kassian? Instead AV chooses to send out the smallest forward on the team to continue to pass the puck around the perimeter.


Amen - between Henrik and Daniel, we have enough finesse around the perimeter. We need a big body in front of the net to cause chaos. Think Holmstrom when the Wings were in their heyday.

And Garrison needs to just pound pucks at the net in practice. Make him shoot 100 pucks on net at the end of practice before he's allowed to leave. He has the power, just get him to get it on net. Still need the vision from the point. Edler's not the guy. His hockey sense seems to be limited. He has all the tools in his toolbox, but doesn't appear to have the sense to use them.
User avatar
Tanti09
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: East Van

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Lancer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Tanti09 wrote:
vic wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Lain has been assigned to Chicago. I wonder if we will see him this year? Park his ass in front of the net on the PP!


Isn't that one of the reasons they have Kassian? Instead AV chooses to send out the smallest forward on the team to continue to pass the puck around the perimeter.


Amen - between Henrik and Daniel, we have enough finesse around the perimeter. We need a big body in front of the net to cause chaos. Think Holmstrom when the Wings were in their heyday.

And Garrison needs to just pound pucks at the net in practice. Make him shoot 100 pucks on net at the end of practice before he's allowed to leave. He has the power, just get him to get it on net. Still need the vision from the point. Edler's not the guy. His hockey sense seems to be limited. He has all the tools in his toolbox, but doesn't appear to have the sense to use them.


He has the vision and hockey sense. He has just apparently lost the confidence or willingness to use them. If he can't or won't do the job, give it to Garrison.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

After spending the last several days in Vancouver since signing their contracts, Lain and Blomstrand have been assigned to Chicago. Hopefully they each get their first AHL action in soon.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Lancer wrote:He has the vision and hockey sense. He has just apparently lost the confidence or willingness to use them. If he can't or won't do the job, give it to Garrison.


I always find that Edler has the size and skill to be successful in the NHL. However, I don't believe that he has much hockey sense. The only Canucks defensemen that have hockey sense are Hamhuis and Tanev.

It seems like the Canucks are trying to sign Viktor Arivdsson.

Daniel Weinberger ‏@GermanNuck
@ThomasDrance @CanucksArmy apparently, the Canucks are also interested in signing Viktor Arvidsson:
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/el ... tchhjalte/
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Jovocop wrote:It seems like the Canucks are trying to sign Viktor Arivdsson.


5'9" and 175lbs

Is he still growing?
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It seems like the Canucks are trying to sign Viktor Arivdsson.


5'9" and 175lbs

Is he still growing?


The Canucks just signed a 6'6 222lbs Kellan Lain. They need another Schroeder to balance out the lineup. :lol:
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Per » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It seems like the Canucks are trying to sign Viktor Arivdsson.


5'9" and 175lbs

Is he still growing?


Born in 1993, so quite possibly.

And he only had 12 points in 49 games in the SEL this year, so this one is far away from being ready for the NHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=27484
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 7 guests