3rd line center - deadline RENTALS?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

3rd line center - deadline RENTALS?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

So we obviously need another center. For whatever reason, GMMG hasn't figured out a trade for Lu that will bring one back, and likely won't happen until the off-season.
These fill-ins at center; Higgins, Raymond, Burrows are just ketting killed in the face off.
There is a chance that Shroeder will develop into (at least) a 3rd line center, but looks like he's not there yet.
Ebbett can't seem to develop much offence.
Unless we can get a trade for a bona fide center who can pinch hit for Kes this year, we need a Plan B (or C or D... ;) )

So is there a rental out there that we could get cheap, from a team out of the playoffs?
Should also be a UFA at years end, due to our Cap issues

What about Mike Ribeiro from the Craps?
If Tim Connoly for example was available for next to nothing, would we take him?

I know these guys have some detractors, but would they be a better option than Ebbett?
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 3rd line center - deadline RENTALS?

Post by BingoTough »

Zamboni Driver wrote: So is there a rental out there that we could get cheap, from a team out of the playoffs?
Should also be a UFA at years end, due to our Cap issues
You only buy rentals if you think they will clinch you the cup, not to squeak into the first round.

We're not there and we're not close.

As to selling rentals, well, I think MG should be seriously looking at doing just that. The cupboard is bare, might as well be a seller (without having to blow up the team), especially those players who aren't finding success here (Ballard, Booth) or who will leave. I don't think you can look at this team and genuinely think we're going to win the cup this year.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Time for a more drastic change, send out one of the top D and a forward for a top forward and a 2nd pairing D.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

To get a solid 3rd line center rental type player is going to cost something...probably a prospect or high draft choice.

I'm not in favour of giving up anything more than a 3rd round pick to get a rental...we need all the draft picks and prospects we can get going forward.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah.. right now there is probably one team looking to sell and they have a real dearth of rentals (ie. upcoming UFAs).

There's Stephen Weiss (done for the year), Mike Santorelli (cleared waivers earlier this year), Alex Kovalev (done forever), Jerred Smithson, Eric Selleck.. that's a whole lot of "who?"

There are a couple of players I'd be interested in who are signed past this year (Marcel Goc) or restricted free agents (Shawn Matthias) but once you get into that territory you have to give up something actually worthwhile. Since they can contribute next year too, maybe that is the way to go.. but it depends on the price.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Yeah.. right now there is probably one team looking to sell and they have a real dearth of rentals (ie. upcoming UFAs).

There's Stephen Weiss (done for the year), Mike Santorelli (cleared waivers earlier this year), Alex Kovalev (done forever), Jerred Smithson, Eric Selleck.. that's a whole lot of "who?"

There are a couple of players I'd be interested in who are signed past this year (Marcel Goc) or restricted free agents (Shawn Matthias) but once you get into that territory you have to give up something actually worthwhile. Since they can contribute next year too, maybe that is the way to go.. but it depends on the price.
Goc and Matthias will be good additions. What about Dubinsky? Ballard + a pick for Dubinsky?

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/20/why-br ... -vancouver
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dubinsky would be a solid addition here.

Royaldude would hate the fact that he is a two-way player but he'd fit in well here, he can play center or the wing which gives us either a solid backup for Ryan Kesler in the event of an injury, three very strong lines with Sedin/Kesler/Dubinsky down the middle or one hell of a tenacious second line with Dubinsky and Kesler with whoever.

That being said I don't see why the Blue Jackets would be looking for a reclamation project on the blueline in Keith Ballard, their organizational depth is stacked with defensemen and they already have a couple of freelancers on the blueline in Johnson and Wisniewsky.

Before he was hurt I fancied that the BJs might be interested in moving BD for David Booth, who is ostensibly a first liner (on bad teams). That's probably wishful thinking anyway, and even if it wasn't that ship has now sailed.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Dubinsky would be a solid addition here.

Royaldude would hate the fact that he is a two-way player but he'd fit in well here, he can play center or the wing which gives us either a solid backup for Ryan Kesler in the event of an injury, three very strong lines with Sedin/Kesler/Dubinsky down the middle or one hell of a tenacious second line with Dubinsky and Kesler with whoever.

That being said I don't see why the Blue Jackets would be looking for a reclamation project on the blueline in Keith Ballard, their organizational depth is stacked with defensemen and they already have a couple of freelancers on the blueline in Johnson and Wisniewsky.

Before he was hurt I fancied that the BJs might be interested in moving BD for David Booth, who is ostensibly a first liner (on bad teams). That's probably wishful thinking anyway, and even if it wasn't that ship has now sailed.
Based on the stats alone, Booth is overpaid. However, he brings a few things that the Canucks are lacking, grit and willingness to crash the net with speed. I would rather keep him than trading him (of course, RD has a different opinion).

If Aquallini is willing to buyout Ballard this offseason, why can't MG waive him now? If another team picks him for nothing, so be it. Ballard is not properly used here anyway. He will never be unless AV is gone. With the $4.2m cap space, MG might be able to get Dubinsky with a prospect and a high pick.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Jovocop wrote:

Based on the stats alone, Booth is overpaid. However, he brings a few things that the Canucks are lacking, grit and willingness to crash the net with speed. I would rather keep him than trading him (of course, RD has a different opinion).

If Aquallini is willing to buyout Ballard this offseason, why can't MG waive him now. If some teams pick him for nothing, so be it. Ballard is not properly used here and will never be unless AV is gone. With the cap space, MG might be able to get Dubinsky with a prospect and a high pick.
That's a good question except that Ballrd is still depth and what if he cleared waivers?
That would tank any idea of a trade in the future and guarantee a buy out as the only option...

Better to keep him unless there's a deal you can't walk away from methinks ?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

If Aquallini is willing to buyout Ballard this offseason, why can't MG waive him now. If some teams pick him for nothing, so be it. Ballard is not properly used here and will never be unless AV is gone. With the cap space, MG might be able to get Dubinsky with a prospect and a high pick.
That's a good question except that Ballrd is still depth and what if he cleared waivers?
That would tank any idea of a trade in the future and guarantee a buy out as the only option...

Better to keep him unless there's a deal you can't walk away from methinks ?
Unless Booth, Malhotra, and/or Kesler are/is on LTIR, the Canucks need cap space to get a decent third line centre. Ballard's $4.2m cap hit might be a good start.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Unless Booth, Malhotra, and/or Kesler are/is on LTIR, the Canucks need cap space to get a decent third line centre. Ballard's $4.2m cap hit might be a good start.
Well aren't Booth and Malhotra in fact on the LTIR for the rest of the season??

$3.3Mil of Ballard's cap hit would still apply if he were with the Wolves.

Saaaay... what's Sammy "SHUTDOWN" Pahlsson doing these days? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: There are a couple of players I'd be interested in who are signed past this year (Marcel Goc) or restricted free agents (Shawn Matthias) but once you get into that territory you have to give up something actually worthwhile. Since they can contribute next year too, maybe that is the way to go.. but it depends on the price.
I think Matthias would've been relatively cheap in the off-season when I was including him in most of my Lou trades.

But seeing as how he's just scored 6 goals in his last 10 games..... :evil:

Goc and Ott are the usual targets in Canuckland 3rd-line centre deadline acquisition talks amirite?
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't know why, the Sabres would be pretty foolish to move Steve Ott in any kind of trade that makes sense for the other team..

But yeah his name certainly is well traveled amongst those of us with nothing better to do.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Good thing we have the LTIR fairy on our side...just put a lock of hair under gillis pillow and bang who do we need out of the line up to accommodate our next saviour ?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Jovocop wrote:
Unless Booth, Malhotra, and/or Kesler are/is on LTIR, the Canucks need cap space to get a decent third line centre. Ballard's $4.2m cap hit might be a good start.
Why wouldn't Booth & Malhotra be on IR/LTIR?
Doesn't seem like Booth will be back anytime soon

And a deadline pickup doesn't need the same cap space as if they were here the whole year