what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Anyone want to bet me that 1 hour after trade deadline day MG does nothing to improve this team. At the same time trade deadline day is usually pretty stupid with GM asking high prices for scrubs. If MG wants to do something he needs to be working the phone now and not on trade deadline day.

I have accepted that in the new NHL and with parity trade deadline day is no longer exciting or does much to improve a team unless you give up a lot. Trade deadline day is more about TSN/SportsNet selling commercials.

Edit - I want to say that the reason I don't think MG can do anything on TDD is that the asking price is too high and he needs to make changes now (if he can). This is no attack on him as I said earlier he has 1 more season to do what is needed. I did believe he should of went after a C in the off season regardless of Kesler coming back or not or when since Kesler has a history of being injured and insurance was needed.

Well, according to some media reports he has been in touch with the other 29 GM's at least once each, in some cases more, trying to get a centre. I'd say he is trying but there is very little movement right now and the asking price is too high. He may be willing to pay the price as time moves on but right now I'd think it would be safe to assume he is trying.
The only HW the Canucks need
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Reefer2 wrote:Anyone want to bet me that 1 hour after trade deadline day MG does nothing to improve this team. At the same time trade deadline day is usually pretty stupid with GM asking high prices for scrubs. If MG wants to do something he needs to be working the phone now and not on trade deadline day.

I have accepted that in the new NHL and with parity trade deadline day is no longer exciting or does much to improve a team unless you give up a lot. Trade deadline day is more about TSN/SportsNet selling commercials.

Edit - I want to say that the reason I don't think MG can do anything on TDD is that the asking price is too high and he needs to make changes now (if he can). This is no attack on him as I said earlier he has 1 more season to do what is needed. I did believe he should of went after a C in the off season regardless of Kesler coming back or not or when since Kesler has a history of being injured and insurance was needed.
If other GMs are making some changes now or at the deadline, then their might be some reason to question Gillis.

However, thus far, a well respected and successful GM like Holland has yet to make any significant moves since the summer to address his defence. A very reactionary GM in Holmgren is drowning and has not made any moves. McPhee is just sitting there while his team slides. Yzerman made a goalie move and then nothing while his team sits with only 2 teams below him. Regier was forced to fire his buddy and is under alot of pressure, but hasn't made a move. Murray lost his best forward and d-man and has stood pat.

There is just nothing going on anywhere.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Conferences are so tight that too many teams are still in the race or believe they are. Not many sellers yet.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Conferences are so tight that too many teams are still in the race or believe they are. Not many sellers yet.
This is one reason why I don't like the loser point. It used to be fun watching trades, now they are so rare with almost all teams in the playoff hunt. I know that it is good for tickets sales but sucks for the rest of us.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: I know that it is good for tickets sales but sucks for the rest of us.
Then cough up and buy some fucking tickets Reef.

You are a high roller . Just kiddin big buds .......... :twisted:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

There is only one seller right now and all their merchandise is broken..
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I think the best move may be to get ahead of the curve. Slightly undercut those prices by moving Raymond, Higgins, and anyone else deemed expendable. Then use those assets with other prospects/picks we already have to upgrade on those players OR recognize this team isn't any good and use this short season as a retooling opportunity.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The_Pauser wrote:I think the best move may be to get ahead of the curve. Slightly undercut those prices by moving Raymond, Higgins, and anyone else deemed expendable. Then use those assets with other prospects/picks we already have to upgrade on those players OR recognize this team isn't any good and use this short season as a retooling opportunity.
You do realize that Higgins and Raymond are pending UFA's and would be considered rentals for playoff bound teams whose returns on the open market would not be very good? You might as well take any team not contending for the playoffs and rebuilding off the list of potentials for acquiring Higgins and Raymond.

And so because of that, trading Raymond and Higgins, since the returns would be shite, would signal that the Canucks are canning the season and going on a fire sale. Not happening.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

RoyalDude wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I think the best move may be to get ahead of the curve. Slightly undercut those prices by moving Raymond, Higgins, and anyone else deemed expendable. Then use those assets with other prospects/picks we already have to upgrade on those players OR recognize this team isn't any good and use this short season as a retooling opportunity.
You do realize that Higgins and Raymond are pending UFA's and would be considered rentals for playoff bound teams whose returns on the open market would not be very good? You might as well take any team not contending for the playoffs and rebuilding off the list of potentials for acquiring Higgins and Raymond.

And so because of that, trading Raymond and Higgins, since the returns would be shite, would signal that the Canucks are canning the season and going on a fire sale. Not happening.
Why would the returns for our pending UFA's be different from the returns for other teams pending UFA's? It seems like the price to rent these types of players is a 1st round pick, so why couldn't we get that in return?

Honestly I would rather mail it in this season, acquire some picks and prospects for these guys, than to trade away picks and prospects to pick up a bottom 6 rental and lose in the first round anyways. That's how you become the Calgary Flames, and this team has headed down that road since the end of last season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The_Pauser wrote:
Why would the returns for our pending UFA's be different from the returns for other teams pending UFA's? It seems like the price to rent these types of players is a 1st round pick, so why couldn't we get that in return?

Honestly I would rather mail it in this season, acquire some picks and prospects for these guys, than to trade away picks and prospects to pick up a bottom 6 rental and lose in the first round anyways. That's how you become the Calgary Flames, and this team has headed down that road since the end of last season.
I'm just saying that when trading up coming UFA's at the deadline, unless you are talking Jerome Iginla types, you ain't getting much in return. We are talking Raymond and Higgins, and you certainly are not getting 1st round picks for them let alone 2nd round picks. I totally agree with your Calgary Flames nod to our management. I've been saying for awhile that Gillis is gonna manage this team into the new Flames if he isn't careful, he already has IMO. Get a bunch of cast offs and surround the Sedins with them, same thing Iginla has been getting in Calgary.

I just don't think Gillis is the visionary to mail it in this year and build for next season and the seasons after which is why this team is on its way to becoming the future mediocre Flames for the next 5 years. The terrible drafting and developing over Gillis tenure is eerily similar to that of the Flames.

There ain't a GM out there that is willing to blow up a chunk of their futures to acquire a 34 year old Luongo with that contract. The fact that Gillis does not seem to understand this is beyond me. Gillis and AV mishandled the Luo/Schneider situation last season. We should be trading Schneider for the simple reason only, that he is highly more marketable on the trade market.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

RoyalDude wrote:
I'm just saying that when trading up coming UFA's at the deadline, unless you are talking Jerome Iginla types, you ain't getting much in return. We are talking Raymond and Higgins, and you certainly are not getting 1st round picks for them let alone 2nd round picks. I totally agree with your Calgary Flames nod to our management. I've been saying for awhile that Gillis is gonna manage this team into the new Flames if he isn't careful, he already has IMO. Get a bunch of cast offs and surround the Sedins with them, same thing Iginla has been getting in Calgary.

I just don't think Gillis is the visionary to mail it in this year and build for next season and the seasons after which is why this team is on its way to becoming the future mediocre Flames for the next 5 years. The terrible drafting and developing over Gillis tenure is eerily similar to that of the Flames.

There ain't a GM out there that is willing to blow up a chunk of their futures to acquire a 34 year old Luongo with that contract. The fact that Gillis does not seem to understand this is beyond me. Gillis and AV mishandled the Luo/Schneider situation last season. We should be trading Schneider for the simple reason only, that he is highly more marketable on the trade market.
Do you consider Paul Guastad a Jarome Iginla type? Because last year he returned a 1st round pick. Johnny Oduya brought back a 2nd and a 3rd. Andrei Kostitsyn brought back a 2nd round pick. I don't think these players are significantly better than Raymond and Higgins at all. Hell, Dominic Moore even brought back a 2nd round pick.

Aside from that I agree with everything else you posted.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The_Pauser wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Do you consider Paul Guastad a Jarome Iginla type? Because last year he returned a 1st round pick. Johnny Oduya brought back a 2nd and a 3rd. Andrei Kostitsyn brought back a 2nd round pick. I don't think these players are significantly better than Raymond and Higgins at all. Hell, Dominic Moore even brought back a 2nd round pick.

Aside from that I agree with everything else you posted.
I hear ya, but I just don't see Gillis canning the season and going on a fire sale, no way. Still think you're dreaming if you think Raymond and Higgins can return a first round pick.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

As much as some of you want to fire AV or trade away Ballard, Booth, Higgins or Raymond, they aren't the problem. You can't play in this league with only 1 credible centerman. After Hank you have only a 4th line bash and crash guy in Lapierre. No second or third line center at all. Higgins isn't a center and Ebbett is an AHL lifer. So if somebody has to go it should be Gillis. A complete failure to sign what was needed in the off season. No replacement for Kesler no one to take over for Malhotra when he knew the guy couldn't play. Letting Schultz slip through his fingers. Years of incredibly bad drafting. Why does he still have a job? Yes he is a very bright guy but thinking not doing doesn't work.

The only thing I can't blame him for is holding on to Luo. If what has been said about Luo being able to ask for a trade but not necessarily getting it automatically are true, then he is playing it correctly. Wait for someone to panic and get the best package be it for either Luo or Schneider. Put me in the keep Luo camp, if we can keep him.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Wait for Kesler to get back and get a 3C and the team will be fine. No need to sell our depth or our farm in this shortened season when 29 teams are still in the mix for the playoffs. I doubt LA would have done it but Gillis should have been in on the Loktionov deal, he has shot up the NJ depth chart extremely quickly and would have been a great stop gap for our 2nd line.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Benjo wrote:Wait for Kesler to get back and get a 3C and the team will be fine. No need to sell our depth or our farm in this shortened season when 29 teams are still in the mix for the playoffs. I doubt LA would have done it but Gillis should have been in on the Loktionov deal, he has shot up the NJ depth chart extremely quickly and would have been a great stop gap for our 2nd line.
Right, because ALL this team needs is a 3C. Makes sense. I guess we need a 3rd straight playoff failure due to crappy offense for people to get it.