Tiger wrote:vic said:
MG didn't sign any of the core players - Sedins,Kessler,Hansen,Raymond.. and has done little to strengthen the team.Yep resigning ok. This team has been in decline since over a year ago and needed an infusion of talent.. Yeah Ballards got speed .. Just is useless defensively and brings nothing as a goal scorer..The Canucks were at the top of there game in 2011 but the Sedin's are aging and Kessler has not returned to form after injuries..We are short 2 Centers, haven't made any good trades since he came on board and many very questionable signings...AV can only coach the players he gets and MG hasn't given him much.
When you already have top-end talent, the salary cap limits MG from bringing in any other top-end folks. I think he's done okay, but not great. I don't see that he has a lot of bandwidth for bold moves and big changes
- He's kept a balanced D, which makes sense given the level of injuries we always see.
- You can't bring in another top-3, we already pay for 3 elite forwards. Hamhuis was a good call.
- Why would you replace the Sedins, Kessler, Hansen, Raymond, Burrows?
- You don't waste a major asset like Lou on a temporary band-aid (i.e. Kesler replacement) and you don't park a ton of cash on a 3rd line centre. Pitts traded Staal for just this reason.
- We only need to be good enough to make it into the playoffs. Granted we're teetering on the brink, but you don't want to mortgage your future for a president's trophy. The SC is a crapshoot.
- We can't afford to trade draft picks for winning now. We're simply too expensive, even though our draft picks aren't top-end.
Mistakes (not exhaustive):
- bitch-slapping Raymond. No chance of a discount now.
- Losing Willie & Salo
- Keeping Manny
- Booth was a gamble
- Ballard has been mismanaged by the coach
- Ballard trade
- GMMG has mismanaged AV
The worst thing would to end up like Calgary, if you're headed there, you might as well blow it up. It will be interesting to see how Detroit fare and whether they can recover.
I wonder if they'll disallow the whole game because of the distinct ass-kicking motion the Canucks used on the Kings? - Brian CC
Congratulations on the new job dave, try not to fuck it up this time eh? - UKCanuck