what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Topper »

Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Ummm...I'm gonna go with the latter?

Must be warmer than usual over there on the left coast... at least for NHL execs and coaches...
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Holland and Babcock are in a very simular situation to Gillis and Vigneault.

The Wings just lost to Columbus twice and Calgary. They've lost 6 of 7 games games this year to Columbus, Calgary and Minnesota. They have 12 goals in their last 8 games and have scored one powerplay goal on the road all season.

Holland hasn't addressed positional needs since last summer and Babcock can't coax goals from a team battling injuries.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote:I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
How about tonight?

:thumbs:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.

Topper I think this is bang on. When we were elite, a contender, other teams had to adapt to play with us. Now we are no longer in that status, for whatever reasons, we must learn to adapt more. It is the nature of the beast. If and when we regain that elite status, that momentum, then we can let others come to us but for now we need to learn to play to others strengths and win ugly.

Is this a product of coaching or is this a product of players doing the same things over and over hoping for a different result? Maybe both.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:
herb wrote:I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
How about tonight?

:thumbs:
Perfect!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Says a lot about the depth.... or lack thereof doesn't it ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.

Ballard is a great skater, one of the best when it comes to blueliners in the league, this strength and asset is not used.

Booth is also a great skater, instead of using that speed and driving to the net, he's afraid of getting benched for not being defensily responsible.

Garrison's got a howser of a shot but needs a set up man (Campbell), the Canucks have one of the best in Henrik, but Garrison doesn't play the point on a pathetic PP when Henrik's on the ice.

AV wouldn't know what to do with a Vanek or Ribero.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

LeBrun saying Gillis has been burning up the phone lines looking for a Center...Apparently Ott was one he was pretty interested in and Roy in Dallas was another. Don't ask for a link
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Topper I think this is bang on. When we were elite, a contender, other teams had to adapt to play with us. Now we are no longer in that status, for whatever reasons, we must learn to adapt more. It is the nature of the beast. If and when we regain that elite status, that momentum, then we can let others come to us but for now we need to learn to play to others strengths and win ugly.

Is this a product of coaching or is this a product of players doing the same things over and over hoping for a different result? Maybe both.
Definitely agree, HW, although I would project that line of reasoning to certain portions of the previous seasons (i.e. the team was so used to winning and dominating that when it played against teams it couldn't have it's way with, it was unable to adapt). And I would argue that such problem has been, at least in part, a coaching problem (i.e. inability or unwillingness to adapt strategy - other than playing musical chairs with the lines, of course).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mondi wrote:Simmer down.

No team has won more games over the last two seasons, it's not as if AV isn't an NHL coach.

The problem is the forwards. That points to GMMG.
The problem is at least, in part, due to utilization of the forwards. That points to the coach.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

vic wrote:When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.

Ballard is a great skater, one of the best when it comes to blueliners in the league, this strength and asset is not used.

Booth is also a great skater, instead of using that speed and driving to the net, he's afraid of getting benched for not being defensily responsible.

Garrison's got a howser of a shot but needs a set up man (Campbell), the Canucks have one of the best in Henrik, but Garrison doesn't play the point on a pathetic PP when Henrik's on the ice.

AV wouldn't know what to do with a Vanek or Ribero.
+1

- Sun Tzu
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote:Simmer down.

No team has won more games over the last two seasons, it's not as if AV isn't an NHL coach.

The problem is the forwards. That points to GMMG.
GMMG assembled the group that has won more games than any other team over the past two years, and he's the problem. Gillis's signings, re-signings , and trades have giving the Canucks possibly the best lineup in their history for the past two years and he hasn't done enough.

Genius.

Gillis resigned a coach who cannot and will not get it done. What a waste of talent on the ice.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

vic said:
GMMG assembled the group that has won more games than any other team over the past two years, and he's the problem. Gillis's signings, re-signings , and trades have giving the Canucks possibly the best lineup in their history for the past two years and he hasn't done enough.
MG didn't sign any of the core players - Sedins,Kessler,Hansen,Raymond.. and has done little to strengthen the team.Yep resigning ok. This team has been in decline since over a year ago and needed an infusion of talent.. Yeah Ballards got speed .. Just is useless defensively and brings nothing as a goal scorer..The Canucks were at the top of there game in 2011 but the Sedin's are aging and Kessler has not returned to form after injuries..We are short 2 Centers, haven't made any good trades since he came on board and many very questionable signings...AV can only coach the players he gets and MG hasn't given him much.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice