Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

So at the 17 game mark our highest scorer has 5 goals.

Amazingly we have five players with that number of tallies.

Only one player, Daniel, is scoring at a ppg pace.

While Kesler has managed to grab points in 4/5 games, he is a minus-3. That's the worst on the team.

Hamhuis and Edler are both minus-1. Higgins is a minus-2.

Higgins has a really good GvA:TkA ratio.

Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Daniel, and Kassian, have pretty poor ratios, surprisingly Edler's is the best of those guys.

Luongo is making an early case for a Vezina nomination. Incredible numbers.

Our most physical guys are our 4th line and Kassian.

Edler is leading all defenseman in points and the entire team in blocked shots.

Only Weise and Volpatti are averaging less than 10:00 min TOI/G. Edler leads the team.

For limited minutes our fourth line, Kassian and Higgins are contributing well in several areas.

Would like to see Edler shorten up his average TOI/S and take a few more shifts instead.

Edler is spending almost double the PP TOI compared to other defenseman. Garrison needs to be given a chance.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Good summary Mëds,I agree about Edlers ice-time.they need to make sure he doesn't get overworked.
If Bieksa is out for awhile it will be a good opportunity to assess the 7,8,and 9 D-men,we all know they will
probably be needed if they are to be successful in the play offs.
Glad to see Ballard/Tanev playing so well this season.
I expect a full 10 games back before we can truly gauge Kesler and Booth but I'm really liking what i am seeing from Kess so far.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dangler wrote:Good summary Mëds,I agree about Edlers ice-time.they need to make sure he doesn't get overworked.
If Bieksa is out for awhile it will be a good opportunity to assess the 7,8,and 9 D-men,we all know they will
probably be needed if they are to be successful in the play offs.
Glad to see Ballard/Tanev playing so well this season.
I expect a full 10 games back before we can truly gauge Kesler and Booth but I'm really liking what i am seeing from Kess so far.
Yeah, my point on Edler is that shorter shifts where he is fresh will probably mean fewer mistakes.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice having an alberts 8/9 guy. We remember his play on a squad that was clicking pretty good, and he wasn't.....horrible.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

One thing I noticed the past couple games is the stabilizing effect both Tanev and Ballard have had on their respective new partners. Is it me, or does Ballard make Garrison look better out there? Tanev, well, it seems he's the safety net no matter who he plays with. Nice to have a guy who can provide AV and Bowness with that kind of flexibility.

I'm not worried about Kesler. He still seems as quick as ever and his puck pursuit is there. His wrist-shots have a lot of the same zip as before and his one-timers still have mustard - they're just badly off-target. The same with Booth. I'm willing to give them some time get themselves calibrated before passing any judgement.

Funny thing about Edler is everybody (myself included) harps on his boneheaded moments and when he makes like Bambi out there, but then you look at the numbers and it's a different story.

Much as I wager Alberts will be the one to step in, it would be interesting (perhaps in a morbid way) to see what Barker can do out there. Better to find out now than in the playoffs.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:One thing I noticed the past couple games is the stabilizing effect both Tanev and Ballard have had on their respective new partners. Is it me, or does Ballard make Garrison look better out there? Tanev, well, it seems he's the safety net no matter who he plays with. Nice to have a guy who can provide AV and Bowness with that kind of flexibility.
For sure. Both of those guys are having good years. Ballard seems to have bought in finally, and while he still takes some risks, he is using his speed really effectively to get back and he has raced back several times to take away odd man rushes. Taney in just rock steady. I was watching him last night against Nashville and his positioning was just incredible. He never jumped into the play early, he didn't over-commit defensively, he didn't put himself in positions where he could get out muscled or out hustled. He took lanes away and moved the puck smartly out of dangerous areas, and he never panicked. I really like him with Edler because he plays a thinking game and sets himself up to support his partner, whether that be to provide a safe outlet passing option or drop back to cover when the other guy pinches in case it goes wrong. I think he's one of the smartest defensemen this club has had in quite a long while.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So the Canucks are to activate Steve Pinnizzotto tomorrow in time for the Nashville game. I guess we will get to see what he can do playing centre.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:So the Canucks are to activate Steve Pinnizzotto tomorrow in time for the Nashville game. I guess we will get to see what he can do playing centre.
Pardn me if I say that I find the above statement painful. :(
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

What's the over/under on the Italian Windex going down with an injury?

3rd shift?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BladesofSteel wrote:What's the over/under on the Italian Windex going down with an injury?

3rd shift?
Give me game 3 with a seperated shoulder
If you need air...call it in
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I'd like to see what he has before laying the injury prone label on him.

After Volp, Weise and the other plethora of 4th liners there has to more to him than just a Hershey Bear. :drink:

EDIT: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html
Pinizzotto was placed on the Canuck roster prior to his conditioning stint, so there is a spot here waiting for him and the Canucks do not have to waive anyone to make room for him.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... z2NUcO8M7N
EDIT: and he's been recalled....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN signs college UFA Kellan Lain from Lake Superior State. 6-foot-6 centre from Oakville, Ont

Roid Center
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN signs college UFA Kellan Lain from Lake Superior State. 6-foot-6 centre from Oakville, Ont

Roid Center
There also after that 6'8" D man too! Andrej Sustr, shoots R.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

More on him:
http://thecanuckway.com/2013/03/15/canu ... llan-lain/
The Vancouver Canucks are interested in 6’6″, 220-pound college free agent Kellan Lain of the Lake Superior State University Lakers, according to News 1130.

The radio spoke to Lain and he says there are a lot of teams interested in him. The Canucks are one of the teams and they have been after him for quite some time. He will speak with his agent, Ian Pulver, this weekend and will make a decision on where he will play professional hockey soon.

Lake Superior State coach Jim Roque projects Lain as a third or fourth line checking centre in the National Hockey League. Think Brian Boyle of the New York Rangers perhaps?

Lain recently completed his junior season with the Lakers putting up 111 penalty minutes, eight goals and 16 points in 32 games.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie expects Lain to be one of the first college free agents to sign with an NHL team and it could happen as early as in the next 48 hours. The Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings, and Phoenix Coyotes are among the other Western Conference teams interested in the centre.

Other college free agents the Canucks are reportedly interested in include right winger Antoine Laganiere, and defencemen Andrej Sustr and Shayne Taker. Sustr and Taker are both big defencemen with Sustr standing at 6’8″ and 218 pounds and Taker at 6’4″ and 196 pounds.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lain has been assigned to Chicago. I wonder if we will see him this year? Park his ass in front of the net on the PP!