So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by ukcanuck »

What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left
Under achieving on a shitty team
Big price tag, but only one year left

Sounds perfect

What do we got they want?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote:What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left

Sounds perfect

A goalie. But they won't want Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left

Sounds perfect

Stastney still has one more year left on his current contract which has $6.6m cap hit. The Canucks need to get rid of players with big contracts to get under the cap next season. How can they fit another player with a huge cap hit like Stastney?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Well send Em Schneider and May Ray

Gift wrap Ballard or Booth to the islanders/blue jackets (...fill in bottom feeder needing to reach the floor) for a bag of tape and a late pick

Or send for the injury reserve fairy...

That's what Gilmans for ain't it?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:Well send Em Schneider and May Ray

Gift wrap Ballard or Booth to the islanders/blue jackets (...fill in bottom feeder needing to reach the floor) for a bag of tape and a late pick

Or send for the injury reserve fairy...

That's what Gilmans for ain't it?
What you are saying is that

1) The Canucks should send their underachieving players (Booth and/or Ballard) to other teams for nothing
2) Then the Canucks should send their useful players (Schneider and Raymond) to the Avs for their most underachieving player

With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I guess you could say that,

But I was thinking we need a centre:
Sedin
Stastney
Kesler
Emmett/Schroeder/lapiere

Ballard and or Booth have to go to make the salary fit.

And Luongo is under contract and is under contract till the end of time apparently..
Although admittedly I don't really understand the outclause ( how does that work? If he chooses he can force a trade no matter what the the other team is offering?)

But at the end of the of the day,
If Stastney wakes up and has a Con Smythe performance under the hood, ill take the cup and the future be damned...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:I guess you could say that,

But I was thinking we need a centre:
Sedin
Stastney
Kesler
Emmett/Schroeder/lapiere

Ballard and or Booth have to go to make the salary fit.

And Luongo is under contract and is under contract till the end of time apparently..
Although admittedly I don't really understand the outclause ( how does that work? If he chooses he can force a trade no matter what the the other team is offering?)

But at the end of the of the day,
Image Stastney wakes up and has a Con Smythe performance under the hood, ill take the cup and the future be damned...
That is a very big IF...
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:
I don't think Luongo wants out of Vancouver, he wants to be the designated #1 and Schneider is preventing him from being that.

If Schneider is not here, Luongo becomes the sole #1 again, and (IMO) would be happy to stay.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Maybe,
But it's a pretty small IF

Compared to the certainty of early tee times for the 43rd consecutive spring..
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:
Jovocop wrote: With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:
I don't think Luongo wants out of Vancouver, he wants to be the designated #1 and Schneider is preventing him from being that.

If Schneider is not here, Luongo becomes the sole #1 again, and (IMO) would be happy to stay.
From all the rumours, Luongo wants to be playing in the East, somewhere close to his family. Didn't MG admit that as well?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Luongo can demand a trade year 7 or 8 which I think is after next season. Maybe the next one. In any event if he demands a trade the Canucks must accommodate. I don't know how the small details work but it is a risk since he has already stated he would prefer to be closer to his family back east. I don't know if his wife and kids made the trip to Vancouver this year. But I know that when things started to blow up his wife had returned to Florida with the kids. This coincided with Cory "stealing" the number one job in the LA playoffs series.

So I guess it depends upon whether Luongo really does want to stay if he is again the number one or if he still wants to get to the East somehow. Only he and his family know for sure but what I hear is he loves Vancouver, yes he wants to be a number one, but he still wants to get back east, preferably a Florida team. Whether that is enough for him to demand a trade when he contractually is able to I don't know but I think that is the risk with him right now.

I would trust that MG has had these conversations with Luongo and probably has a pretty good idea of what Luongo is thinking.

The complication for the Canucks is Lack injury and surgery. It could take him a year or two to get back to top performance, see Ray Emory. So their plan to trade Cory and have Lack back up is off the rails but I think the plan was to trade Cory, play Lack and Luongo and then go from there. At the trade deadline last year there were inquiries about Luongo which the Canucks entertained, that and the family situation and the Cory situation I think made Luongo start to consider leaving earlier. In fact I would venture that given Luongo's family situation that may have been a precipitating factor in them changing direction and thinking about keeping Cory.

Cory has not been lights out this year and we can see some of the warts in his game. I feel more confident with Luongo in net this year than with Cory but I'm banking on it being a result of the shortened season and the platooning of goalies. I'd still trade Luongo over Cory but then again if trading Cory gets us what we need then I guess you go that route and that still gives you at least one more year with Luongo. After that....Who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Luongo can demand a trade year 7 or 8 which I think is after next season. Maybe the next one. In any event if he demands a trade the Canucks must accommodate. I don't know how the small details work but it is a risk since he has already stated he would prefer to be closer to his family back east. I don't know if his wife and kids made the trip to Vancouver this year. But I know that when things started to blow up his wife had returned to Florida with the kids. This coincided with Cory "stealing" the number one job in the LA playoffs series.

So I guess it depends upon whether Luongo really does want to stay if he is again the number one or if he still wants to get to the East somehow. Only he and his family know for sure but what I hear is he loves Vancouver, yes he wants to be a number one, but he still wants to get back east, preferably a Florida team. Whether that is enough for him to demand a trade when he contractually is able to I don't know but I think that is the risk with him right now.

I would trust that MG has had these conversations with Luongo and probably has a pretty good idea of what Luongo is thinking.

The complication for the Canucks is Lack injury and surgery. It could take him a year or two to get back to top performance, see Ray Emory. So their plan to trade Cory and have Lack back up is off the rails but I think the plan was to trade Cory, play Lack and Luongo and then go from there. At the trade deadline last year there were inquiries about Luongo which the Canucks entertained, that and the family situation and the Cory situation I think made Luongo start to consider leaving earlier. In fact I would venture that given Luongo's family situation that may have been a precipitating factor in them changing direction and thinking about keeping Cory.

Cory has not been lights out this year and we can see some of the warts in his game. I feel more confident with Luongo in net this year than with Cory but I'm banking on it being a result of the shortened season and the platooning of goalies. I'd still trade Luongo over Cory but then again if trading Cory gets us what we need then I guess you go that route and that still gives you at least one more year with Luongo. After that....Who knows.

All of which makes me think either one as trade material is fine with me as long as we get back what we need.

The trouble is though like the Bure trade, what comes back is not going to be as good as one would hope, so a Stastney, an underacheiver but untouchable otherwise, a la Mike Richards might be the ticket...

BTW ...what are we 8 games away from the deadline?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Cory has not been lights out this year and we can see some of the warts in his game. I feel more confident with Luongo in net this year than with Cory but I'm banking on it being a result of the shortened season and the platooning of goalies. I'd still trade Luongo over Cory but then again if trading Cory gets us what we need then I guess you go that route and that still gives you at least one more year with Luongo. After that....Who knows.
I'm not sure what these "warts" are in Schneider's game.....

His puck handling is poor, but no worse than Lou's was when he first showed up here from Florida. So that could be considered one wart.

He had a bad game to start the year against Anaheim, but outside of that the guy has been good. He's stolen plenty of single points for the club this year. In the games we've lost with him in net most of the goals have been the result of the team bailing on him like they are thinking about really improving on their stroke count this year after all the extra practice they got last spring. Those games for Cory are no different than Lou's game in Detroit. Watching the way Cory has held the Canucks in games this year in multiple slow starts, I think his numbers reflect a starting goalie who fits in somewhere among the 10-20 range in the league, but his actual play is much better than that. Most top goaltenders can attribute some of their all-star stats to the defense in front of them. Cory hasn't gotten any help from his team this year.

I really do think that the Canucks play way better in front of their "backup" goaltender.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/02/ ... idiculous/

Those numbers had Schneider describing himself as an average goalie of late.

“It’s getting ridiculous,” he said after the loss to Phoenix. “Three or four games in a row giving up three goals or more and you know, I don’t care if they were nice goals or guys wide open, it doesn’t matter.

“You’ve got to make some big saves to give your team a chance to at least get a point. I’ve got to be better, I’ve got to find a way to get back to one or two goals a game like we’re used to and right now it’s just not happening and I’ve got to figure out why.

“We worked hard enough to win tonight I thought. It wasn’t a Picasso, but we had the effort and we could have won that game and I’m just getting sick of giving up three goals a night and playing like an OK goalie and not the goalie that I know I can be and that my teammates expect me to be.”
:drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/02/ ... idiculous/

Those numbers had Schneider describing himself as an average goalie of late.

“It’s getting ridiculous,” he said after the loss to Phoenix. “Three or four games in a row giving up three goals or more and you know, I don’t care if they were nice goals or guys wide open, it doesn’t matter.

“You’ve got to make some big saves to give your team a chance to at least get a point. I’ve got to be better, I’ve got to find a way to get back to one or two goals a game like we’re used to and right now it’s just not happening and I’ve got to figure out why.

“We worked hard enough to win tonight I thought. It wasn’t a Picasso, but we had the effort and we could have won that game and I’m just getting sick of giving up three goals a night and playing like an OK goalie and not the goalie that I know I can be and that my teammates expect me to be.”
:drink:
Nice...