GDT: Mar 12 - Canucks in Ohio for another BJ on SPAC - 4 PM

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Mar 12 - Canucks in Ohio for another BJ on SPAC -

Post by Lancer »

Well, if this gets them out of this slump, I'll take it but it was an ugly game.

Lou played large and had a 'Lou' type of game. Made all the easy saves and a couple of hard ones too.

Edler looked useless as usual lately, and Tanev looked hard-pressed to keep things from going soupy alongside him.

One of these games, Booth is going to break out. He was one of the few Canuck forwards out there who was noticeable on a consistent basis tonight. I like Higgins' work ethic, but he's not even an interim solution between Booth and Kassian. Burrows looks like he's knocking on the door of breaking his slump as well, with the way he was playing in the offensive zone.

Lapierre.... he's killing me lately. Barker didn't look too bad out there. Alberts was, well, Alberts but he wasn't glaringly bad too often tonight.

Nice to see MayRay pull out the grease on the shootout and spin Bobs out of his pants for the win... okay did that sound a little homo-erotic to anyone else? :look:

A win's a win, I guess and the sky hasn't fallen down... yet.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:Canucks scored because they gave the puck directly to Garrison so he could shot. How many times did Edler get the puck behind him or beside him. Because he is not a right handed shooter it needs to be sent to his "off" side and then he could 1 timer it. This team badly needs a right handed D man and we sign another left hander.
Doesn't matter what side or where you pass the puck to Edler, if it's not a perfectly timed, perfectly placed, puck, that has no wobble and is going not too fast and not too slow, Edler will whiff on it and not one-time it. What makes Garrison a much better PP point man is that he can connect with the puck more often than not and he's not scared to try to swing for the bleachers on a one-timer when the pass isn't completely perfect.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Gillis really needs to find another centre soon, not to state the obvious but this team is missing that badly. Everything is thrown out of whack as AV tries to fit round holes in square pegs. Until we get some stability up the middle I think we'll see lot's more games like this. As many posters have said, even with Kesler back we are still very thin up the middle.

I thought we did a decent job of getting pucks towards the net, i don't think many were that dangerous though.

Sedins seemed like they were on a mission tonight. Very good offensively with no payoff, on D they were just OK.

PP looked better, but still not great. I'd say it' s still not a deterant against other teams dirty/aggresive play.

I'm officially on the Garrison bandwagon. He is becoming very consistent on D and is getting the puck on net.

Don't look now but we are back in the top spot in the NW again.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Was at work, didn't see the game. Caught the highlights and the box score.

Looking at the box score my impression was: Dammit does this team need to learn how to shoot to score and actually capitalize. 37 shots and only a single goal to show for it......WTF??? I know Bobrovsky has been hot lately, but that's just brutal on the Canucks.

Boll's hit on Barker.....ummmm......sure, I like it, but the lack of a call completely flies in the face of the NHL's stance on head shots and hitting players in vulnerable positions.

Kassian's penalty for hitting from behind? Pretty weak IMO. He even made the effort to get around to the side and contact looked pretty shoulder to shoulder from the angle I saw. Was that angle not clear enough? I'm actually asking.

Lou's poke check on the last shooter in the S/O was awesome. I loved his play on that, out to challenge and instead of stopping and backing up he just shifted and his momentum carried him glove side and he went forward with a great poke check.

Vigneault is still an idiot and should not be given even a modicum of reprieve. Shooting 1 for 37 and 0% again on the PP. That's some weak bullshit.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:Looking at the box score my impression was: Dammit does this team need to learn how to shoot to score and actually capitalize. 37 shots and only a single goal to show for it......WTF??? I know Bobrovsky has been hot lately, but that's just brutal on the Canucks.
I don't know if the boxscore showed shot attempts as well, but the guys threw a ton of rubber at Bobrovsky and a lot of it was blocked. Seriously, the Blue Jackets clogged the middle of the ice in their zone to perfection and weren't giving up much. Dave Tippet would have smiled. There were some good shots, but not much in terms of second-efforts and rebound shots, so Bobrovsky's night could have been harder.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:Boll's hit on Barker.....ummmm......sure, I like it, but the lack of a call completely flies in the face of the NHL's stance on head shots and hitting players in vulnerable positions.Kassian's penalty for hitting from behind? Pretty weak IMO. He even made the effort to get around to the side and contact looked pretty shoulder to shoulder from the angle I saw. Was that angle not clear enough? I'm actually asking.
Truth be told, the refs were horrid as usualt tonight. Woefully inconsistant. Having said that they let a couple of calls go uncalled in favour of the Canucks as well, but given what they passed on and what they called, I couldn't blame Vigneault for blowing a gasket on the bench. Kassian's hit was side-on and IMO was a good hit, but the refs had to even it up and give the small american market team a chance to get a win there.

Given who got hit and who did the hitting on the Boll head-shot, I doubt Shanny-rammy will say a peep.

Hate the League.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Brick Tamland wrote:Gillis really needs to find another centre soon, not to state the obvious but this team is missing that badly. Everything is thrown out of whack as AV tries to fit round holes in square pegs. Until we get some stability up the middle I think we'll see lot's more games like this. As many posters have said, even with Kesler back we are still very thin up the middle.

I thought we did a decent job of getting pucks towards the net, i don't think many were that dangerous though.

Sedins seemed like they were on a mission tonight. Very good offensively with no payoff, on D they were just OK.

PP looked better, but still not great. I'd say it' s still not a deterant against other teams dirty/aggresive play.

I'm officially on the Garrison bandwagon. He is becoming very consistent on D and is getting the puck on net.

In all, a darn good night.

Canucks win, Minny loses in regulation.
As a bonus, the Kings got smacked down in the desert and the Maple Laffs lost too. 8-)

And Minny falls through the trapdoor, all the way down to 9th place... :P
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Brick Tamland wrote:
Does that mean that we stop panicking now? :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
Does that mean that we stop panicking now? :?
What do you mean "we" white man? :mex:

:D

Actually... when Strangelove pisses, people listen!

Tonight your Vancouver Canucks responded specifically to the bedwetting of yours truly.

Oh it’s DAMN true!

Mwwaaahahahahaha they are but pawns in my strange game….
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:
Mëds wrote:Boll's hit on Barker.....ummmm......sure, I like it, but the lack of a call completely flies in the face of the NHL's stance on head shots and hitting players in vulnerable positions.Kassian's penalty for hitting from behind? Pretty weak IMO. He even made the effort to get around to the side and contact looked pretty shoulder to shoulder from the angle I saw. Was that angle not clear enough? I'm actually asking.
Truth be told, the refs were horrid as usualt tonight. Woefully inconsistant. Having said that they let a couple of calls go uncalled in favour of the Canucks as well, but given what they passed on and what they called, I couldn't blame Vigneault for blowing a gasket on the bench. Kassian's hit was side-on and IMO was a good hit, but the refs had to even it up and give the small american market team a chance to get a win there.

Given who got hit and who did the hitting on the Boll head-shot, I doubt Shanny-rammy will say a peep.
The most obvious one was the slash that broke Henrik's stick. Isn't it an automatic penalty?? Booth did not break the BJ's stick but got a penalty for it... Go figure.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Isn't it an automatic penalty??
Actually they changed that rule in this year = discretionary.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
Lancer wrote:

The most obvious one was the slash that broke Henrik's stick. Isn't it an automatic penalty?? Booth did not break the BJ's stick but got a penalty for it... Go figure.
Considering that in Calgary a few games back that same play took us off the PP in the last few minutes while we were down a man.....yeah.....should be a call now.....shouldn't it? :P
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Lancer wrote:

I'd say the refs were pretty bad as well. I think the biggest example is the Sedins in the offensive zone with defence men hanging off them with no calls. I don't mind Kassian's penalty, I thought it was borderline at best. The Booth slash was pretty weak though.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Actually... when Strangelove pisses, people listen!
Because it has so far to fall to the floor or the blood curdling scream when the mattress becomes over saturated?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I don't think many of us here as panicking - if you want to see panic go to HF boards. I think what most of us see is a massive hole at center, too many wingers and too much money tied up in D and goalies. There's some trades that can be made from one area to address another.

I'm sure Gillis is trying and he might have to overpay to get what he needs - but without another center I just don't think this team has the depth to do much.