So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Luongo just won with only 1 goal against and he won the SO, keep him and trade CS.

Or

Luongo just increased his trade value get 2 1st and a prospect.

8-)
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Luongo just won with only 1 goal against and he won the SO, keep him and trade CS.

Or

8-)

Funny how the goaltending market is getting supply-dumped with possibilities right now. Miller apparently is on the block (if Regier does that, he's pretty much comitting to a full-out re-build unless he knows something about Enroth that the rest of the league doesn't), and Bernier apparently is on offer as trade bait. Whenever Feaster comes out of denial, Kipper may get put into play as well.

Two ways of looking at it: the array of potential goalies to be had dilutes Luongo's value, or even if the others get snatched up before Lou there will be someone who lost out on the others who will be desperate enough to pay close to Gillis' asking price.

Even so, the talk is that most if not all these goalies will get traded in the off-season vice at deadline.

As the world turns...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Lancer wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Luongo just won with only 1 goal against and he won the SO, keep him and trade CS.

Or

8-)

Funny how the goaltending market is getting supply-dumped with possibilities right now. Miller apparently is on the block (if Regier does that, he's pretty much comitting to a full-out re-build unless he knows something about Enroth that the rest of the league doesn't), and Bernier apparently is on offer as trade bait. Whenever Feaster comes out of denial, Kipper may get put into play as well.

Two ways of looking at it: the array of potential goalies to be had dilutes Luongo's value, or even if the others get snatched up before Lou there will be someone who lost out on the others who will be desperate enough to pay close to Gillis' asking price.

Even so, the talk is that most if not all these goalies will get traded in the off-season vice at deadline.

As the world turns...

Outside of one or two seasons and the 2010 Olympics, I have always considered Ryan Miller to be a good starting goaltender, but never an elite goto backstop that a team wants behind them in the playoffs if they have an option like Luongo or Brodeur or Rinne. Miller is badly inconsistent, as much as we have seen Luongo get shelled and stink the joint out, Miller is worse. He's an emotional basket case and is easily rattled.

Kipper is going to be 37 years old to start next year, and to be honest he is starting show signs of decline.

Bernier looks good but has no resume as a starting goaltender.

Luongo is in a class with Ludqvist, Pinne, and Brodeur.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby The_Pauser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Cory to Edmonton for Ederle and Gagne. Get er done MG.

Wishful thinking that this is something you've heard and not just your own proposal/wishes? :lol: :drink:

LOL

Just my wishful thinking. No, I haven't heard this as gossip or rumour. Don't want to start that one now. If Edmonton was stupid enough to offer those two for Cory I'm sure MG would be all over it.

I think most of us had high expectations for what type of return we would get for Luongo. Yes, there were some here who saw it in a more negative light. I think MG has been holding off on purpose just waiting for all of our expectations to come back down to earth. :D :D :D

Damn I knew it! Lol.

Well I personally still have high expectations. I wouldn't move either goalie unless we can address our most pressing needs: scoring, and first line potential prospects. And if Lu is willing to stay in Vancouver then I would look to move Schneider. I really don't see Schneider developing into the top 5 goalie that Luongo already is. He's had a few games this season to grab the bull by the horns and run with it and he hasn't impressed. He's been good no doubt, but not better than at least 10 goalies out there including Luongo.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am

What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left
Under achieving on a shitty team
Big price tag, but only one year left

Sounds perfect

What do we got they want?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 am

ukcanuck wrote:What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left

Sounds perfect

A goalie. But they won't want Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

ukcanuck wrote:What's this scuttlebutt about Paul Stastney?

Natural centre
shoots left

Sounds perfect

Stastney still has one more year left on his current contract which has $6.6m cap hit. The Canucks need to get rid of players with big contracts to get under the cap next season. How can they fit another player with a huge cap hit like Stastney?
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 am

Well send Em Schneider and May Ray

Gift wrap Ballard or Booth to the islanders/blue jackets (...fill in bottom feeder needing to reach the floor) for a bag of tape and a late pick

Or send for the injury reserve fairy...

That's what Gilmans for ain't it?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 am

ukcanuck wrote:Well send Em Schneider and May Ray

Gift wrap Ballard or Booth to the islanders/blue jackets (...fill in bottom feeder needing to reach the floor) for a bag of tape and a late pick

Or send for the injury reserve fairy...

That's what Gilmans for ain't it?

What you are saying is that

1) The Canucks should send their underachieving players (Booth and/or Ballard) to other teams for nothing
2) Then the Canucks should send their useful players (Schneider and Raymond) to the Avs for their most underachieving player

With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am

I guess you could say that,

But I was thinking we need a centre:
Sedin
Stastney
Kesler
Emmett/Schroeder/lapiere

Ballard and or Booth have to go to make the salary fit.

And Luongo is under contract and is under contract till the end of time apparently..
Although admittedly I don't really understand the outclause ( how does that work? If he chooses he can force a trade no matter what the the other team is offering?)

But at the end of the of the day,
If Stastney wakes up and has a Con Smythe performance under the hood, ill take the cup and the future be damned...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 am

ukcanuck wrote:I guess you could say that,

But I was thinking we need a centre:
Sedin
Stastney
Kesler
Emmett/Schroeder/lapiere

Ballard and or Booth have to go to make the salary fit.

And Luongo is under contract and is under contract till the end of time apparently..
Although admittedly I don't really understand the outclause ( how does that work? If he chooses he can force a trade no matter what the the other team is offering?)

But at the end of the of the day,
Image Stastney wakes up and has a Con Smythe performance under the hood, ill take the cup and the future be damned...

That is a very big IF...
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby vic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 am

Jovocop wrote:With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:

I don't think Luongo wants out of Vancouver, he wants to be the designated #1 and Schneider is preventing him from being that.

If Schneider is not here, Luongo becomes the sole #1 again, and (IMO) would be happy to stay.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

Maybe,
But it's a pretty small IF

Compared to the certainty of early tee times for the 43rd consecutive spring..
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 am

vic wrote:
Jovocop wrote:With Luongo wants out, who will be the number 1 goalie next season? Lack?? :?:

I don't think Luongo wants out of Vancouver, he wants to be the designated #1 and Schneider is preventing him from being that.

If Schneider is not here, Luongo becomes the sole #1 again, and (IMO) would be happy to stay.

From all the rumours, Luongo wants to be playing in the East, somewhere close to his family. Didn't MG admit that as well?
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Luongo can demand a trade year 7 or 8 which I think is after next season. Maybe the next one. In any event if he demands a trade the Canucks must accommodate. I don't know how the small details work but it is a risk since he has already stated he would prefer to be closer to his family back east. I don't know if his wife and kids made the trip to Vancouver this year. But I know that when things started to blow up his wife had returned to Florida with the kids. This coincided with Cory "stealing" the number one job in the LA playoffs series.

So I guess it depends upon whether Luongo really does want to stay if he is again the number one or if he still wants to get to the East somehow. Only he and his family know for sure but what I hear is he loves Vancouver, yes he wants to be a number one, but he still wants to get back east, preferably a Florida team. Whether that is enough for him to demand a trade when he contractually is able to I don't know but I think that is the risk with him right now.

I would trust that MG has had these conversations with Luongo and probably has a pretty good idea of what Luongo is thinking.

The complication for the Canucks is Lack injury and surgery. It could take him a year or two to get back to top performance, see Ray Emory. So their plan to trade Cory and have Lack back up is off the rails but I think the plan was to trade Cory, play Lack and Luongo and then go from there. At the trade deadline last year there were inquiries about Luongo which the Canucks entertained, that and the family situation and the Cory situation I think made Luongo start to consider leaving earlier. In fact I would venture that given Luongo's family situation that may have been a precipitating factor in them changing direction and thinking about keeping Cory.

Cory has not been lights out this year and we can see some of the warts in his game. I feel more confident with Luongo in net this year than with Cory but I'm banking on it being a result of the shortened season and the platooning of goalies. I'd still trade Luongo over Cory but then again if trading Cory gets us what we need then I guess you go that route and that still gives you at least one more year with Luongo. After that....Who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat