Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm in the camp that says Kesler needs to be our shut down centre and get PP, PK time. That will give him plenty of ice time. What we need is another playmaking centre. JS isn't it right now but he could be in a year or two. Delegating him to the 4th line makes not sense. Send him to Chicago, oh we can't can we, we really need a centre.

With the twins and Burrows we know line 1 is set. We have a plethora of wingers we just need to find a playmaker to centre two of them. We also have plenty of shut down type players and Kesler in the middle makes a perfect defensive line. 4th line we have enough bodies the ice a few :D

Its unfortunate the JS could not step up and be that playmaker to make our second line dangerous. But that is what we are missing. Andrew Cassells anyone? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thast the type of player I'm thinking, with a little more speed of course.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm in the camp that says Kesler needs to be our shut down centre and get PP, PK time. That will give him plenty of ice time. What we need is another playmaking centre. JS isn't it right now but he could be in a year or two. Delegating him to the 4th line makes not sense. Send him to Chicago, oh we can't can we, we really need a centre.

With the twins and Burrows we know line 1 is set. We have a plethora of wingers we just need to find a playmaker to centre two of them. We also have plenty of shut down type players and Kesler in the middle makes a perfect defensive line. 4th line we have enough bodies the ice a few :D

Its unfortunate the JS could not step up and be that playmaker to make our second line dangerous. But that is what we are missing. Andrew Cassells anyone? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thast the type of player I'm thinking, with a little more speed of course.
I agree - I thought that Weiss would be a good choice, but obviously he's out for the season. I now think that Fillpula in Detroit would be a very good choice, he's been playing worse this year so his value is down, and he's also a UFA at the end of the season so the Wings have to decide what to do with him. The Wings need D in the worst way, and the Nucks have some extras there. I'm not even going to try to make a trade proposal but that's the kind of guy I'd love to see.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Its unfortunate the JS could not step up and be that playmaker to make our second line dangerous. But that is what we are missing. Andrew Cassells anyone? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thast the type of player I'm thinking, with a little more speed of course.
It's pretty tough for young players to step up and make a line dangerous when they are shuffled around and have linemates that just don't compliment them.

I would love to see Vigneault try

Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian

It would be like a WCE Jr. line. :P

And once the dumbass coach puts the mighty-mouse sized offensive center on the 4th line with plumbers and grinders.....well you can't expect much development anymore.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Right shooting veteran defensman Steve Montador is on waivers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:Right shooting veteran defensman Steve Montador is on waivers.
So is his Post-concussion syndrome. Missed a bunch of games last season. Basically a full year off.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Only if that concussion was bad enough that he forgets he has two years at $2.75m left on his deal..
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mëds wrote:And once the dumbass coach puts the mighty-mouse sized offensive center on the 4th line with plumbers and grinders.....well you can't expect much development anymore.
Haven't you been listening, Mëds? The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Edler got through with this style of coaching so it proves that it works. Schroeder should be treated in the same manner. It couldn't be that the previously mentioned players' success was due to their ability to succeed despite shitty coaching - it must be that the coaching perfectly nurtured their success. Hence, if Schroeder can't cut it with the plugs he must be unskilled and underdeveloped.

You will be assimilated.... er.... I mean....the argument is flawless.... :mex:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

dbr wrote:Only if that concussion was bad enough that he forgets he has two years at $2.75m left on his deal..

True. Good depth guy, wouldn't put him much above Rome Alberts.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

CFP! wrote:
dbr wrote:Only if that concussion was bad enough that he forgets he has two years at $2.75m left on his deal..

True. Good depth guy, wouldn't put him much above Rome Alberts.
Montador clears waivers. The debate should be whether Montador is a better fit for the Canucks comparing to Ballard, Alberts, or Barker. As a 5-6 defenseman, $2.75m is much better than $4.2m...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Montador--- Topper approved! :wink:

There's a great game on at the same time as the nux today(Bos/Pit) and I'm thinking I might end up there, especially if it gets ugly :?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No. I just said he was on waivers.

ASSume at your own risk.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I would take Montador at $1.5 million a season, but not at $2.75 million. If Chicago would eat some of that salary it might make sense, assuming he costs next to nothing. You don't want to help out a rival team, but if it improves your team you have to do it.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Kris Versteeg out for the season from the sounds of it.

Florida is looking like a safe bet for the 1st overall pick. In that case I hope they do want Lou. They have alot of youth already, so there's s chance they will be interested in a veteran allstar goaltender.....
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:Kris Versteeg out for the season from the sounds of it.

Florida is looking like a safe bet for the 1st overall pick. In that case I hope they do want Lou. They have alot of youth already, so there's s chance they will be interested in a veteran allstar goaltender.....
Tallon is quickly running out of assets to trade that aren't prospects, young roster guys or picks. Either he pays for what he wants with what he has left, or he sits until Buttman calls him up for the 1st overall. Outside of guys like Campbell and maybe Fleischmann, I think Tallon will likely go dormant till the draft.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canucks sign 2011 draft pick Ludwig Blomstrand

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/03/15 ... witterfeed
When Blomstrand was drafted, Laurence Gilman described him as “very much like Jannik Hansen.” Considering how Hansen has developed to become a legitimate offensive threat and is currently third in scoring with the Canucks, that’s high praise. Maybe a little too high, as Gilman wasn’t necessarily speaking of his offensive upside: “He’s a tremendous skater who plays with some level of tenacity. We think he can be a solid two-way guy in the NHL.”
Wouldn't that be nice if another 4th round pick turn out to be very much like Jannik Hansen? :D