GDT - Canucks go Wild in MinneSnowta. 5pm -Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks go Wild in MinneSnowta. 5pm -Snet-P

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:I wonder if the Florida organization has ever thanked us for taking $8.7 million off their books in a couple of shitting players with long term contracts? Brilliance that trade, they cleared $8.7 million off their books and are left with a first round pick out of the deals - Howden. I'm sure they will have another big round of uproarious laughter if and when Gillis ends up having to buy one of these two if not both out this summer.
as long as ..whatever needs to happen...Happens!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hey does it seem like that maybe this group only had one Stanley cup in them chemistry wise and they won that in their minds last year in Boston??

What ever mojo they had before is gone entirely. Wasn't that long ago I would tune into a game like last night and see the Canucks down by a goal and feel pretty confident that they would tie it or win it late.
Last night the game was effectively over 23 seconds into period one...

Dude, you can blame Booth and Ballard all but seriously from top to bottom this team don't look the same
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:I wonder if the Florida organization has ever thanked us for taking $8.7 million off their books in a couple of shitting players with long term contracts? Brilliance that trade, they cleared $8.7 million off their books and are left with a first round pick out of the deals - Howden. I'm sure they will have another big round of uproarious laughter if and when Gillis ends up having to buy one of these two if not both out this summer.
Walls and floors must be too thick.

I don't think anyone can hear the laughing going on in the basement.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:
as long as ..whatever needs to happen...Happens!
And at the expense of Aquilini's Wallet. What a good employee Gillis is.

He better get in there before Aquaman's ex does
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote:Hey does it seem like that maybe this group only had one Stanley cup in them chemistry wise and they won that in their minds last year in Boston??

What ever mojo they had before is gone entirely. Wasn't that long ago I would tune into a game like last night and see the Canucks down by a goal and feel pretty confident that they would tie it or win it late.
Last night the game was effectively over 23 seconds into period one...

Dude, you can blame Booth and Ballard all but seriously from top to bottom this team don't look the same
when that shit happens with the same team it is coaching in my opinion...alot of other opinions also..cept dude ...he say you do what you can with what ya get given & that is a point too, but not the big one in this case... the coaching , especially the special teams coaching..sucks..

PS: heading to arizona in a couple hours...cant fight back so be nice... look for RATS19 at the nucks/yotes game..its on my jersey I will turn my back to the camera...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Walls and floors must be too thick.

I don't think anyone can hear the laughing going on in the basement.
Well, at this current losing pace 9 losses in their last 12 games...We might be keeping them company down there before to long, but with a much bigger payroll than theirs.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote: when that shit happens with the same team it is coaching in my opinion...alot of other opinions also..cept dude ...he say you do what you can with what ya get given & that is a point too, but not the big one in this case... the coaching , especially the special teams coaching..sucks..

PS: heading to arizona in a couple hours...cant fight back so be nice... look for RATS19 at the nucks/yotes game..its on my jersey I will turn my back to the camera...
Hey Rats, AV is at fault sure, but dude, seriously, Gillis really needs to do his fucking part as well. It surprises me that you don't see any fault in his work to date.

BTW, enjoy the desert ya snowbird.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Well, at this current losing pace 9 losses in their last 12 games...We might be keeping them company down there before to long, but with a much bigger payroll than theirs.
Yet the team will still make more money.

And while we're at er, what's been both teams records since the Ballard deal? And the Booth deal?

Yes I'm sure all that gorgeous snatch down in FLA are splitting their sides over the Canucks success the past few years.

But enjoy the slump while you can :thumbs:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Jovocop wrote:
herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pac B my point is and was the team has quit on the coach.
I have and still do like AV as a coach, but this group has looked like a clunky, tired old beater more often than a well oiled machine over the past calendar year. The sloppy, slow, sad PP since January 2012 is a highlight of the effort level and execution of this group over that time. The personnel has largely not changed since before then, so what gives?

I do think this current funk is just that, a funk. Every year there's at least one stretch of terrible play. The team has none of that swagger they show when they are playing well.

However, outside of the last game against LA, which was truly a great all around effort, we haven't seen a consistent work ethic or execution from any single player all year outside of Chris Tanev. This is not a bad team that will consistently lose to Columbus, Calgary and Minnesota, and I am confident that we will win 10 in a row before this shortened season is over, but I am starting to wonder. The longer it takes to get back to winning, let along looking like a dominant team, the more I wonder about what needs to change.

First off, even with a healthy Kesler this team needs another NHL centre. It also needs another right side defenseman. Ballard needs to go, and Lapierre needs to play on the 4th line only, ever. These are no brainers. Though, I am beginning to wonder if there is a cultural problem here. Is there too much of a country club atmosphere with this group? Does this group need a shakeup to remind them that they are in the business of winning hockey games?
I agreed with Blob here. I wasn't too happy to see AV giggled before the puck dropped. When the team has been playing like shit for the last few games, the head coach has to be more serious than that.

The Canucks need a third line centre and a RH defenseman. Should MG be patient? I dunno. All I know is that if the team keeps losing for a few more games, we can pretty much kiss the playoffs goodbye. I am not sure what Aquilini would do if the Canucks fail to make the playoffs...
That's my big issue with the team right now - round pegs in square holes. Why do they have Ballard playing his off side at $4.2 million a year? Get a guy like Ian White who is a RH shot, healthy scratch in Detroit at the moment for $2.8 million, he would play the right side better than Ballard or Alberts are. Why are Burr, Raymond and Higgy all auditioning at center? They have proven they aren't well suited for it. Get a guy who can play a 3rd line role and win a faceoff or two - there's Marcel Goc in Florida, there's Fillpula in Detroit, there's Bozak in TO, there are some options.

These moves are on Gilils, they just didn't fit in properly with the team. He's sitting on a $4.2 million LH shot dman, who doesn't fit the system, he's sitting on a $5.3 million goalie who plays 35-40% of the games, and he's sitting on 2 natural centers, one who is only suited for a 4th line role. It's just a weird use of resources and needs to be cleaned up.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Dude has been enabled!
*cue the google translator*
Seriously though...WTF? We surely are on a huge skid and I have no doubt the roster needs a boost but writing this team off now is ridiculous.
-This is the same core that has dominated the league for 3+ years.
-They have enjoyed all kinds of success, both regular season and playoffs.
-They have 3 and a half(Jennings) major trophy winners in the line up who have underachieved since that all-too-famous redemption game (Boston Jan/12).
-They can beat anyone when on their game but unfortunately lose to anyone when off.

This is still a very strong team wearing Canucks colours and every single last team we play knows this.

In my opinion what's needed is an infusion of dynamic energy to the top 6 and a puck moving d-man who can run the PP and settle things down from the point. 2 players that come to mind for me are Mike Ribiero in Washington and Brian Campbell in FLA.

MR is on fire on a team who is down in the standings. He's headed to UFA after this year so might be available if they fall out of the running before Apr 2. His energy, skill and swagger would be more than welcome on this team.

BC has a huge sticker price but a swap of RL for him could have instant benefits all over the ice. He has 3 more years(I think) left on his contract but this is a legitimate #1 d-man who makes everbody on the team better. He ran a helluva good PP last year which featured setting up Jason Garrisons one timers. FLA could be interested in this kind of deal for Luongo I suspect and I bet including Booth in the swap isn't out of the question.

These trades would definitely improve the roster but I'm not sure how we could fit them under the cap. Gillman has proven to be a superstar when it comes to weaseling room out of a loaded roster so I have faith he can pull it off. Obviously we would be unloading Ballard and maybe even Booth for cap space but if this team is going to make a serious push for the cup while the Sedins are still able to play at a high level, this is the kind of changes I feel we will need to make.

Thoughts?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The Dude has been enabled!
*cue the google translator*
Seriously though...WTF? We surely are on a huge skid and I have no doubt the roster needs a boost but writing this team off now is ridiculous.
-This is the same core that has dominated the league for 3+ years.
-They have enjoyed all kinds of success, both regular season and playoffs.
-They have 3 and a half(Jennings) major trophy winners in the line up who have underachieved since that all-too-famous redemption game (Boston Jan/12).
-They can beat anyone when on their game but unfortunately lose to anyone when off.

This is still a very strong team wearing Canucks colours and every single last team we play knows this.

In my opinion what's needed is an infusion of dynamic energy to the top 6 and a puck moving d-man who can run the PP and settle things down from the point. 2 players that come to mind for me are Mike Ribiero in Washington and Brian Campbell in FLA.

MR is on fire on a team who is down in the standings. He's headed to UFA after this year so might be available if they fall out of the running before Apr 2. His energy, skill and swagger would be more than welcome on this team.

BC has a huge sticker price but a swap of RL for him could have instant benefits all over the ice. He has 3 more years(I think) left on his contract but this is a legitimate #1 d-man who makes everbody on the team better. He ran a helluva good PP last year which featured setting up Jason Garrisons one timers. FLA could be interested in this kind of deal for Luongo I suspect and I bet including Booth in the swap isn't out of the question.

These trades would definitely improve the roster but I'm not sure how we could fit them under the cap. Gillman has proven to be a superstar when it comes to weaseling room out of a loaded roster so I have faith he can pull it off. Obviously we would be unloading Ballard and maybe even Booth for cap space but if this team is going to make a serious push for the cup while the Sedins are still able to play at a high level, this is the kind of changes I feel we will need to make.

Thoughts?
Im a troll, cause our opinions differ? Suck it up butter cup. Man up or go back to mommy's tit.

But seriously, you want to take on another big contract, small defenseman from Florida? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Man up or go back to mommy's tit.
Your mom and I have been thinking....oh nevermind :sly:

Yes we differ in opinions but you have to admit your daily diatribe is very troll-like in its context. After years of reading it I understand that you just have this pessimistic perspective that can come across the wrong way. I am entertained generally though and you definitely carried the play during the lockout and still find myself chuckling when reading your stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic....Campbell is much more than a small, overpaid defenseman. He would become our #1 instantly and makes everybody better. His ability to run a powerplay is sorely missed in VCRs lineup right now. Having Luongo mope on the bench isn't helping this team either and if this season is to be saved, something must be done. The powerplay is where we are losing these games.

It's just an opinion regardless but I'm pointing out an apparent solution that i can see helping the team.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Man up or go back to mommy's tit.
Your mom and I have been thinking....oh nevermind :sly:

Yes we differ in opinions but you have to admit your daily diatribe is very troll-like in its context. After years of reading it I understand that you just have this pessimistic perspective that can come across the wrong way. I am entertained generally though and you definitely carried the play during the lockout and still find myself chuckling when reading your stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic....Campbell is much more than a small, overpaid defenseman. He would become our #1 instantly and makes everybody better. His ability to run a powerplay is sorely missed in VCRs lineup right now. Having Luongo mope on the bench isn't helping this team either and if this season is to be saved, something must be done. The powerplay is where we are losing these games.

It's just an opinion regardless but I'm pointing out an apparent solution that i can see helping the team.
I haven't been the same since Gillis was hired, apparently according to Blob, Doc, Potatoe, Don Lever, Arachnid and a few others I used to be quite pleasant.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
rats19 wrote: when that shit happens with the same team it is coaching in my opinion...alot of other opinions also..cept dude ...he say you do what you can with what ya get given & that is a point too, but not the big one in this case... the coaching , especially the special teams coaching..sucks..

Hey Rats, AV is at fault sure, but dude, seriously, Gillis really needs to do his fucking part as well. It surprises me that you don't see any fault in his work to date.

BTW, enjoy the desert ya snowbird.
Outta curiousity RD, if Booth and Ballard are such horrible contracts, who exactly is Gillis supposed to pawn them off on? If it is so obvious that they are terribly overpaid for what they bring, don't you think 29 other GM's in the league know this too? I think that would make them pretty hard to move.....at this point you are better off sticking with them and hoping they turn dogshit into gold bricks, and if they don't you trade them for whatever you can get on draft day.

Moving contracts like theirs is going to be very difficult for the next year or two anyhow as teams adjust their rosters to get under the reduced salary cap. It may be that some of their struggles are due to the coaching and system that Vigneault runs in Vancouver, and in that case a fresh start somewhere else might work for them and they produce for a different coach. Who knows. But in this market that is not a risk many GM's are going to want to take when it comes to a couple of guys making top 6 and top 3 cash but producing like bottom 6 and bottom pairing players.

So Gillis brought on some big contracts that are flopping right now. I'm sure he recognizes this......but what do you want him to do about it? Waive them? If they got scooped for nothing you'd be all over his ass for losing assets and getting zero return.

The market isn't returning anything worthwhile on Luongo, and nobody wants to see Gillis just give him away for a rental or some lowball return. $4M contracts are going to be tough to move when the player isn't putting up numbers. So as far as roster moves go he is in something of a jam.

The only move Gillis can really make right now is to fire AV and his staff and bring on someone like Ruff.....and to be honest the time is right for this. There are still 23 games left to play, the Canucks probably only need to win 13 or 14 of them in order to get into the playoffs, and the talent and experience is there in the room to pull that off even with the bumpy adjustment period that a coaching change brings. I don't think Gillis could find a better opportunity than right now when a coach of Ruff's pedigree is sitting on the sidelines and has already said he wants to coach again.

Some might see that as a futile gesture or move or whatever, some think that the coaching staff is fine and not to blame, but when you get your ass handed to you and you don't push back, and then come back the next year and do the exact same thing.....there is a problem. Esepcially when you can go back 12+ months to the last game the Canucks played with any real form of intensity. It's either coaching or team, and if it's team it means massive changes are required, and that means blow up the core. If it is coaching, then this is the best time to do that. LA changed coaches last year.....went from bottom feeder to Cup winner.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: I agree, it would have been very easy for Gillis to pick up a Getzlaf here and an O'Reilly there, both were available on the cheap and we have lots of cap room for them. It should have been easy to grab one if not both, Gillis is asleep at the switch.
The gyst of my foolishness here Diehard my good man, is that with everyone recognizing the importance of centre depth recently, I bring these two fabled hockey legends up because they took a massive beating around these boards of late as if they were a couple of up to know good hockey bums. Centre's make big money cause???
I think we'd all love to have O'Reilly and/or Getzlaf in Canuck colours but it just isn't feasible, never has been and likely never will be. It's simply an odd thing to bring up regardless of how much money they make or how great they would be here - it was never going to happen.

I am in agreement that another center is needed, and needed badly. I'm sure Gillis realizes this too but he's known it for a long time, it's time to shit or get off the pot when it comes to bringing in another guy to play the middle.