Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

But Blee Mac, when your top 4 best players - Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all over 30 ya got to be concerned.

Trust me, Kesler will be traded...he ain't all that tight with the rest of the room and this city.

I agree, but Gillis sure as hell put himself into a corner by grandstanding "We won't give Luongo away, we would rather keep Luongo here". It would be flakey for him to go against his word to save face to try to stop the bleeding. I love it. Gillis is in the hot seat finally!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:But Blee Mac, when your top 4 best players - Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all over 30 ya got to be concerned.

Trust me, Kesler will be traded...he ain't all that tight with the rest of the room and this city.

I agree, but Gillis sure as hell put himself into a corner by grandstanding "We won't give Luongo away, we would rather keep Luongo here". It would be flakey for him to go against his word to save face to try to stop the bleeding. I love it. Gillis is in the hot seat finally!
RD, you better know what you are talking about there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:But Blee Mac, when your top 4 best players - Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all over 30 ya got to be concerned.

RD, you better know what you are talking about there.
I've heard some rumblings, how true they are? I don't know.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:the bleeding. I love it.
:hmmm:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I've heard some rumblings, how true they are? I don't know.[/quote]

They aren't true at all - I've been out for a few pops with a few of the boys after games on a couple of occasions, and Kes has been there with a few of the guys. He's exactly like you think he would be - cocky, a bit arrogant, and hits on everything that moves - but he gets along with the guys that have been out very well. Not sure where you got this but it isn't true.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:

They aren't true at all - I've been out for a few pops with a few of the boys after games on a couple of occasions, and Kes has been there with a few of the guys. He's exactly like you think he would be - cocky, a bit arrogant, and hits on everything that moves - but he gets along with the guys that have been out very well. Not sure where you got this but it isn't true.
HW and I share the same bed and source. I'm a legend for shagging CC women.

It's no secret that Kesler is a bit of an asshole outside of the rink.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I sure hope that Gillis doesn't move the quality asset that Luongo is for just a quick fix veteren rental player. As Gillis thinks about plugging holes NOW he has to mind the future in the meantime as well. I don't think quick fix rental players is what this team needs, we are not cup favorites. Our best players, the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all 30 year olds...we need to get Younger, Bigger and Faster.

He would have already done that if that's what he was going to do. Fact is he will likely have to include a quality young cheap asset ( Hansen, Tanev) along with RL to unload the contract. Clowns like the Pauser can mouth off about wanting this huge return for Luongo but it isn't going to happen. Our other best players are also well under 30 years old like edler, Schneider, Kesler, Hansen. Yes the team needs to get younger but they aren't the old goats you keep chanting about.
I'm not worried about moving assets for a rental player, after all you always have the option to sign that player afterwards a la Higgins and Lapierre. I'm more worried about this season and the mix up front that doesn't make sense.

If it's me I probably try to move one of Higgins/Raymond at the deadline, assuming Kesler is back of course. There are too many wingers on this team and not enough spots for them all. I'd like to see a real checking line for once, likely with Kes as the center of it, and I like the Booth/Kassian line as long as they have a center who can pass them the puck.

Daniel-Hank-Burr
Higgins/Raymond-Kes-Hansen
Booth- ?????-Kassian
Sestito/Pinizzotto-Lappy/Weise

The 4th line can be moved around and I'm sure Gillis will acquire another player or two there. What really needs to happen is lines with an identity - 1st scoring line, 2nd scoring line, checking line, crash and bang line.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Steve Montador?? The Hawks put him on waivers this morning. A RH defensman that can actually play. However, he is injury prone. With a $2.75m cap hit, it might be a huge gamble. The Canucks might have to waive or trade Alberts in order to make room for a guy like Montador... :?:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

We just don't have the cap space. There's already a crunch coming next year, no sense bringing in a guy who might get bumped in the corner and spend the next couple months afterwards sitting in a darkened room ..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
If it's me I probably try to move one of Higgins/Raymond at the deadline,
There are 6 forwards that have been good for us this year and Higgins and Raymond are two of them, the others the Sedins, Burrows and Hansen. And you want to trade one of Higgins and Raymond? IMO, those 6 and Kassian are all I would keep, the rest can all go, IMO.

I've been shitting on Kesler cause Boi RD is miserable and hungover right now but if we could get another top quality centre, big fast and skilled, I like our top 9 in The Sedins, Burrow, Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Kesler and Kassian and mystery figure.

He probably ain't worth much in a trade but I'd be packaging Schroeder as some team might find value in him. I don't see a fit for him here. If he was like fellow 5'9'er - Brenden Gallagher, yeah I'd keep him, but Schroeder is starting to look like Steve Kariya out there.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
There are 6 forwards that have been good for us this year and Higgins and Raymond are two of them, the others the Sedins, Burrows and Hansen. And you want to trade one of Higgins and Raymond? IMO, those 6 and Kassian are all I would keep, the rest can all go, IMO.
When did Higgins come out of your dog house?? I thought he was a useless journeyman from Florida. RD, you are just amazing. You can do a 180 on players in just a week or so...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:HW and I share the same bed and source.
Remember when HW first showed up at the old CC and claimed to a man.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

I've been shitting on Kesler cause Boi RD is miserable and hungover right now but if we could get another top quality centre, big fast and skilled, I like our top 9 in The Sedins, Burrow, Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Kesler and Kassian and mystery figure.

He probably ain't worth much in a trade but I'd be packaging Schroeder as some team might find value in him. I don't see a fit for him here. If he was like fellow 5'9'er - Brenden Gallagher, yeah I'd keep him, but Schroeder is starting to look like Steve Kariya out there.
Where's the space for Higgins and Raymond next year? They'll likely both be gone, and really only one fits into the top 9 when all bodies are healthy - Dan, Hank, Burr, Kes, Hansen, Booth, Kass, 3rd line C to be acquired. If either guy was a C then I'd be all for signing and keeping at least one of them, but wings are redundant here especially with Jensen knocking on the door very shortly. Yes, I would trade one of them for a center in a heartbeat - it makes no sense to have 7 wingers who can all play in the top 6 positions when you are wafer thin at center. These guys are both worth something.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
The HW trans RD pipeline??
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:

Not true. People just assumed that with all my hockey intelligence and sources I HAD to be a man. I just played along until Donny pointed out my avatar.
The only HW the Canucks need