Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Potatoe1 »

TDA Rum wrote:So i take it you think Getzlaf's contract is good then?
Yes.

27 year old center who is an absolute horse and generally scores over a point a game.

8.25 will barely get you a second line forward and a top4 defenseman in free agency, you have to be off your rocker if you think that is a better use of money then re-signing your franchise center.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

okcanuck wrote:
i'm sure the gm's of the successful franchises are going to love to cut a cheque to Anaheim to subsidize Getzlaf's contract.
And why would the Ducks care about that?

Do you think every team receiving some shared revenue should just let their star players walk?
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

For 3 years maybe, but not for 8.....
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
i'm sure the gm's of the successful franchises are going to love to cut a cheque to Anaheim to subsidize Getzlaf's contract.
And why would the Ducks care about that?

Do you think every team receiving some shared revenue should just let their star players walk?
All i'm saying is Getzlaf is not worth 8.5 million a year for 8 years. Maybe Anaheim should have explored the trade option.
I've noticed you only quote portions of our posts. Whats your comment on the part about owners and gms not learning the lessons of the lock-out.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Actually I'm guessing the league is happy to see $66m over eight years, rather than $66m over eight and then another $8m over four more years to drive the cap hit down so the team can hand out another $4m contract or two in t he meantime.

Well, that wouldn't happen with the Ducks but you get my point. Term limits baby! This is the NEW "New" NHL..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:For 3 years maybe, but not for 8.....
What's the BFD? 3 years, 8 years? Getzlaf and Perry are to the Ducks what the Sedins are to the Canucks, what Crosby and Malkin are to the Penguins. Getzlaf has a stanley cup ring on his finger, he is only 27 years old, your prototypical centre that every team desires. Fantastic signing by the Ducks, IMO and good for the overall long term health of the club, this will probably be the single most important signing that franchise has and will have done. He walks, that team is finished. I would not be surprised if they throw the same dollars at MVP of the year and stanley cup champion ring wearer Corey Perry.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

As you like to say about Luongo turning 34, Getzlaf turns 28 in 2 months... my point is Getzlaf has a lot of wear and tear on his body from the Olympics, Canada cups and Stanley cup playoffs, and i just don't see the burning fire inside of him ala Perry. i think by his stats last year he is starting to decline even though he has had a good start to this short lockout season and i believe you will see a sharp drop off in his production... i think 8 years is way too long for him, i think Perry will keep producing longer than Getzlaf...just my opinion.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:As you like to say about Luongo turning 34, Getzlaf turns 28 in 2 months... my point is Getzlaf has a lot of wear and tear on his body from the Olympics, Canada cups and Stanley cup playoffs, and i just don't see the burning fire inside of him ala Perry. i think by his stats last year he is starting to decline even though he has had a good start to this short lockout season and i believe you will see a sharp drop off in his production... i think 8 years is way too long for him, i think Perry will keep producing longer than Getzlaf...just my opinion.
1st line centre's like Getzalf don't grow on trees, why do you think a 21 year old O'Reilly got the contract offer the Flames threw at him? Getzlaf like O'Reilly is a complete player in probably the most important position in hockey, he is young, a beast, super skilled and the face of that franchinse, it's a justifiable signing and extremely important for that franchinse.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:As you like to say about Luongo turning 34, Getzlaf turns 28 in 2 months... my point is Getzlaf has a lot of wear and tear on his body from the Olympics, Canada cups and Stanley cup playoffs, and i just don't see the burning fire inside of him ala Perry. i think by his stats last year he is starting to decline even though he has had a good start to this short lockout season and i believe you will see a sharp drop off in his production... i think 8 years is way too long for him, i think Perry will keep producing longer than Getzlaf...just my opinion.
1st line centre's like Getzalf don't grow on trees, why do you think a 21 year old O'Reilly got the contract offer the Flames threw at him? Getzlaf like O'Reilly is a complete player in probably the most important position in hockey, he is young, a beast, super skilled and the face of that franchinse, it's a justifiable signing and extremely important for that franchinse.
Getzlaf has never scored more than 25 goals in a season. He's coming off a 57 point season last year. He's not Eric Staal.

I get that Anaheim had the money to spend, and they can't lose him for nothing. But Getzlaf isn't a top-10 player in the NHL. These types of deals must drive rival GM's nuts. If Getzlaf is worth $8.25/year, $6.1 per Sedin is a fucking steal, and Crosby should be asking for $14M/per.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Wow - what an over payment.

i sure hope he likes to play a lot of mins per night since they won't be able to afford much of a 2nd line.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I agree with you RD at the start of his career Getzlaf was a star number 1 center with skill and talent and most of all drive, but now, while he still has the skill and talent, i don't think he has the drive to stay being an elite player, especially in that market where there isn't the pressure for him compete at a high level.... i think in 2 or 3 years the Ducks will be wondering why they are paying him so much for what he gives them..
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's a bad contract. Way too much for what he contributes. I'd pay him that for 3 years but not 8. They gotta give that to Perry now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Getzlaf has never scored more than 25 goals in a season. He's coming off a 57 point season last year.
Last year was a blip.

He has scored 404 points in his last 396 games or 84 points per 82. He's also a point per game in the playoffs.

To be honest I dont know why I need to bother with numbers, just watch the guy play. He is absolutely 100% a dominant franchise player. Anyone can see that.
He's not Eric Staal.
You're Getzlaf is better.

He's also a pending URFA which means his price tag is going to be higher then Stall's was when he signed his current deal.

If Getzlaf is worth $8.25/year, $6.1 per Sedin is a fucking steal
Correct.

The Sedins deal is way under valued.

Again, put it in context.

Getzlaf is a pending URFA. 8.25 in the free agent market gets you a second line forward and a second pairing defenseman, if you're lucky.

What would you rather have....

A 6'4, tough as nails, point per game center, or a second line wing and second pairing defenseman.

There would be a line up of NHL GM's waiting to pay Ryan Getzlaf 8.25.

Again for context, the first 8 years of Zach Parise's contract pay him 79 mill so just under 10 mill per over that period. I hope no one here thinks Zach Parise is as good as Ryan Getzlaf....
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Everybody knows Parise isnt worth what Minni is paying him. Mmmmm another team getting subsidized by the teams operating under a sensible business model. I dont think Getzlaf is worth anywhere near that contract
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Potatoe1 wrote: He's also a pending URFA which means his price tag is going to be higher then Stall's was when he signed his current deal.
Not really. With the new CBA, there is added benefit for players to re-up with their own teams. That extra year (when Getzlaf will be 35) has a full NMC and a $3M signing bonus to go along with a $6M paycheque. He goes anywhere else in the summer and he MIGHT get similar AAV, with a year less on the deal. Anaheim got fleeced paying UFA money for their own player.
Getzlaf is a pending URFA. 8.25 in the free agent market gets you a second line forward and a second pairing defenseman, if you're lucky.
Or you could look at it like Teemu Selanne and this years Ryan Getzlaf for 8 more years of future Ryan Getzlaf. This year, Selanne and Getzlaf count for about 14% of Anaheim's cap. Next year, Getzlaf alone will account for about 13% of their total cap.
There would be a line up of NHL GM's waiting to pay Ryan Getzlaf 8.25.

Again for context, the first 8 years of Zach Parise's contract pay him 79 mill so just under 10 mill per over that period. I hope no one here thinks Zach Parise is as good as Ryan Getzlaf....
So we're comparing Getzlaf's contract to one of the more ridiculed UFA deals going? Good start. Is he in Crosby/Malkin territory? Is he worth Stamkos money?

It's an overpayment for a good player. By about $1M/year.