Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Reefer2 wrote:.
After the Sedins retire what do we have coming up to replace them? Unless a significant trade or we draft someone(s) we do have a limited window to go far. i just don't see anything in the minors ready to come up within the next 2 - 3 years to start playing and take over 2nd line duty as Kesler/Burrows takes over the first line.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you think the Canucks will do with the over $12M in cap space now created?
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
After the Sedins retire what do we have coming up to replace them? Unless a significant trade or we draft someone(s) we do have a limited window to go far. i just don't see anything in the minors ready to come up within the next 2 - 3 years to start playing and take over 2nd line duty as Kesler/Burrows takes over the first line.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you think the Canucks will do with the over $12M in cap space now created?

Probably sign a pair of $4.5M ufa second liners and a pair of bottom 6 forwards or overpay a #5 dman.

Just going by the track record......

:P
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

Meds wrote:Probably sign a pair of $4.5M ufa second liners and a pair of bottom 6 forwards or overpay a #5 dman.

The relatively crappy contracts we have are all trades.

Gillis' signings, whether they be re-signings, or free agents have been pretty decent.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Meds wrote:Probably sign a pair of $4.5M ufa second liners and a pair of bottom 6 forwards or overpay a #5 dman.

The relatively crappy contracts we have are all trades.

Gillis' signings, whether they be re-signings, or free agents have been pretty decent.

Didn't necessarily mean Gillis.....just the NHL in general.

I know, I know.....things will be different in the reduced cap era this off-season.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Wy does everybody seem to think that the Canucks have this 'window' that ends when the Sedins retire?

Because they listen to the TEAM 1040 and Don Taylor, B Mac, Sekeres, Blake Price etc said so.

This board is less bipolar than CDC or hfboards but Canucks fans have earned their stripes by and large of being the most retarded fans in the NHL. So if the [xxxxxxx]s at the TEAM say there is a window then there is a fucking window. Most of the fans who listen to those idiots breathe out of their mouth unconditionally and likely follow the same guy to work every day but damnit Don Taylor and Jason Botchford said there was a window so it has to be true.

Blob - I ask you seriously.

Right now? Who the hell knows. I'm sure Philly said the same thing 3 years ago and then they drafted Giroux and Couturier, then traded for Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds. Fact is, this team could look completely different in 3 years, and that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Things change, and you can always trade the players you have now for younger players.

There's no chance a team will always be a contender, but thinking this team will turn into Edmonton after the Sedins are gone is just stupid.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 am

The same people were saying the same thing in the days of the WCE. At that point in time, the consensus was the Sedins were career 2nd line players at best. Burrows and Kesler were career third line checkers.

We already have one piece of a top line (if he is ever healthy) and I wouldn't be surprised if a second piece is in the lineup already and will continue to grow into the role.

The thing many of you and the talking heads forget, is the first line develops as a third line and becomes a second line and then earns there way into first line minutes. True some teams are shitty enough to be able to draft a top tier prospect, but we aren't that shitty.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Wy does everybody seem to think that the Canucks have this 'window' that ends when the Sedins retire?

Because they listen to the TEAM 1040 and Don Taylor, B Mac, Sekeres, Blake Price etc said so.

This board is less bipolar than CDC or hfboards but Canucks fans have earned their stripes by and large of being the most retarded fans in the NHL. So if the [xxxxxxx]s at the TEAM say there is a window then there is a fucking window. Most of the fans who listen to those idiots breathe out of their mouth unconditionally and likely follow the same guy to work every day but damnit Don Taylor and Jason Botchford said there was a window so it has to be true.

But your right nonetheless :)
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Meds wrote:Are the Sedins retiring after next year or something?

Besides, Burrows and Kesler are not first line players who can carry the scoring load on a Stanley Cup contender.....at least not without the Sedins for linemates.

WTF Reef.....I thought you said you were asking seriously.....

So you think the Sedins can perform at the same rate when they are 35?

I said 2 - 3 years I guess I should be more precise in saying, in the year 2017 when the Sedins are 35/36 and their points per game go down who will be on the team to make up this.

I was not saying it couldn't be done I was curious if Blob thought it would be done through trades or draft picks that are yet to happen or he thought maybe in the last 2 draft picks we have some gems. I don't follow the Wolves or our draft picks closely so I read what others write who know better than I do on their progression.

We used to have someone (from Ontario I think), can't remember their name who would constantly give updates on the prospects both in the AHL and junior teams. I always followed the updates as it was interesting.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Re-up the Sedins for $1M/each, Sign Malkin for $10M/year. Save $200K. Win Cup. :drink:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Reefer2 wrote:

We used to have someone (from Ontario I think), can't remember their name who would constantly give updates on the prospects both in the AHL and junior teams. I always followed the updates as it was interesting.

you are kidding right?
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:30 pm

rats19 wrote:Reefer2 wrote:

you are kidding right?

>>insert Wolves Howl here<<
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:

you are kidding right?

>>insert Wolves Howl here<<

I was making him respond :sly:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Jovocop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:

Getzlaf just signed a $8.25m per year contract extension with the Ducks. With these types of stupid contracts still throwing around, I do not believe $12m can get the Canucks a lot... at least not two former Art Ross trophy winners.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

Getzlaf just signed a $8.25m per year contract extension with the Ducks. With these types of stupid contracts still throwing around, I do not believe $12m can get the Canucks a lot... at least not two former Art Ross trophy winners.

wonder what ol baldy would have got if say....they were sucking this year??

I would say he is worth 6mill tops...ducks are nuts
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:19 pm

you are kidding right?

No - am I missing something here?

This was a long week and I just need it straight.

PS what I meant about Ontario was that the poster was from there but I don't want to make any assumptions.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat