GDT: Mar 7 - Canucks in Ohio for BJ on SPAC - 4 PM

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Mar 7 - Canucks in Ohio for BJ on SPAC - 4 PM

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Canuck-One wrote:Yep they suck. The way these guys are playing the don't deserve to make the playoos. My cousin from Calgary is really sticking it to me and there is nothing I can say. This sucks.
You tell him that the Canucks are limping along with two centers, 1st (Sedin) & 4th (Lappy) because we lost one with a broken foot an the other almost lost half his vision.... and yet we're still at the top of the division.

By the end of the season we'll need a telescope to find the rest of the NW division

Mëds wrote:
Mondi wrote: Are you thick bro? That's an indictment of GMMG. Dressing a nonsense lineup that includes six fowards who are almost no threat to score whatsoever: Booth, Kasian, Raymond, Weise, Sestito and Lapierre.

And six other forwards who aren't exactly tearing it up. Sedins are it for offensive flair, that's for sure.
Did you watch the game? Outside of a few shifts the Sedins were pretty mediocre tonight.

Booth and Kassian went hard and were very unlucky to not have a point or two in this one......despite having to drag Lapanchorierre around the ice.

Raymond is having a really good season, especially for a guy thrown into the center spot after having never played that position before. His line has been buzzing of late.

Schroeder is no good to us on the 4th line. Lap is no good with Kassian and Booth.....maybe AV should switch those two and get Lap back on the 4th where he belongs.

Weise and Sestito are serviceable as 4th liners.

As piss poor as 3/4s our offense was tonight, the problem on this team of late is behind the bench and on the blueline. Injuries haven't helped us of late, but if you think that the return of one Ryan Kesler is going to right this ship you are fucking dreaming. We lost 5 of 7 with him back and he's a guy that needs to start realizing that he's not a one man line out there.
Mëds mostly has nailed it.
Lappiere is a good 4th line center, agitator & PK guy, but doesn't seem to have the offensive skills to be on a scoring line.

The Canucks just need to tread water and stay above the rest of the NW, and take a healthy team into the playoffs.

Raymond, Higgins & Hansen have looked good so far this year
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Well, my point is that we need a centre, he doesn't have to be a big household name. Hell, I'd probably take any fuckin guy who can play the middle right now. Even a fringe player like wellwood. wellwood is having a tough start to the year, he could probably be had for like a mid round pick (4th rounder?) or a low end prospect (rodin? suave?).

As for Weiss, sorry Mr. Smartypants. I don't have time to follow the rest of the NHL 24/7 like a hawk like u; I got to work and other shit to do. I just brought him up cuz his name is always highlighted in the rumour mill. btw: weiss makes like $4 mill, the canucks are pretty much maxed out at the cap, even if he was healthy, u think we can just take on that salary? I think not man.

I have a feeling MG is probably on this anyways. I am sure he sees this glaring problem and he's probably feeling the heat. I'm sure he doesn't want to see his team drop out of playoff spot with only like 20 games to go. I think he's going to get a centreman to help out till Kes comes back. Probably not a big name, just a rental guy like Pahlsson/Wellwood. Boy, cutting Manny Malhotra is really biting him in the ass right now.

Mëds wrote:You mean Florida's Stephen Weiss who will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing wrist surgery?

Yeah.....it's his salary that's the problem.....

And we are sending who to the Jets for Wellwood as a rental?

Do your fucking homework Snoozi.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I have to say this, but from what I know of the rumours, it was:

Bozak & Kadri
for
Lou

I have to say this cuz kadri is lighting it up right now and I got flamed for bring up a widely publicized rumour.
Zamboni Driver wrote:Gillis has decided to wait it out rather than accept a crappy offer.
Supposedly he was offered Bozak straight up for Luongo - and he declined.

U could be right on that one, but Kes is our 2nd best centreman and one of the leaders of the team. With him out of the lineup, we only have like 2 real experienced centres left. His injury just exposes the weakness there even more.
Mëds wrote:Injuries haven't helped us of late, but if you think that the return of one Ryan Kesler is going to right this ship you are fucking dreaming. We lost 5 of 7 with him back and he's a guy that needs to start realizing that he's not a one man line out there.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:
Are you thick bro? That's an indictment of GMMG. Dressing a nonsense lineup that includes six fowards who are almost no threat to score whatsoever: Booth, Kasian, Raymond, Weise, Sestito and Lapierre.

And six other forwards who aren't exactly tearing it up. Sedins are it for offensive flair, that's for sure.

Hmmmmm wasn't it you that was complaining about being insulted recently ?

As for your post.... Raymond has produced well this season. Booth and Kassian have played well the last few games but have been hamstrung playing with Lapierre as their centre. AV may as well put Alberts in the middle of those two as they will never score with Lappy there. Weise and Sestito are serviceable 4th line players. Without Kesler and with AV unwilling to give Schroeder a chance this illustrates MG's biggest failure of late. A lack of talent up front, especially in the middle. It is also showing the ugly warts of this teams coaching staff .

No need to be so bitter Mr Mondi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

David Booth - 0 goals, 1 assist, 8 games - $4.5 million
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Boy, cutting Manny Malhotra is really biting him in the ass right now.
Seriously? Were you even watching Malholtra play? He took the face-off and got the hell off the ice. It's sad, but that was all Malholtra was capable of doing...lack of centre ice depth should have been dealt with before Kesler's injury.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Vader wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Boy, cutting Manny Malhotra is really biting him in the ass right now.
Seriously? Were you even watching Malholtra play? He took the face-off and got the hell off the ice. It's sad, but that was all Malholtra was capable of doing...lack of centre ice depth should have been dealt with before Kesler's injury.
This. We knew coming into this shortened season that Kesler wouldn't be ready. We shouldn't have started the season with one top-9 center (Hank). Lapierre is a fourth liner. Manny probably shouldn't have come back. Shroeder is still a prospect. It's kind of telling that our natural centres have a combined 37 points this year (less than Crosby), and 23 of them come from Hank.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I have to say this, but from what I know of the rumours, it was:

Bozak & Kadri
for
Lou

I have to say this cuz kadri is lighting it up right now and I got flamed for bring up a widely publicized rumour.
Just because it was publicized does not mean it has (or had) any validity.

Right now Damien Cox is being torched for bringing up that same rumour - except he's brought it up previously to say the leaves were never willing to trade Kadri. :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Ballard was a decent defenceman until he had the concussion, having suffered from a concussion myself, the effects last for quite some time.
He's looked better this year
Hear!

You some times hear people say foolish gibberish as "only a concussion".
Concussions are bad.

My dad used to play competitive chess at a fairly high level. He suffered a concussion once, falling and having his head hit a threshold. It took him ten years to get back to the same rating as he had before the concussion! Ten years!

Now, granted, a chess player is far more dependent on being able to focus and concentrate for a long time than a hockey player is, but participating in any competitive sport means that you must be at the top of your game, and concussions mess that up for you.

Now, in boxing, soccer or hockey, the slight bruising of the brain may not be such an obvious injury as it is in chess, but I'm not surprised to see players struggle for an extended period of time. You need to focus and stay sharp in hockey as well. Not for hours as in chess, but still. Making fast decisions is essential for a hockey player, and the concussion will slow your brain down.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Good points Per. Normally I'd rip on someone for comparing hockey and chess, but in the case of this team both are about equally exciting to watch these days.....although I think a concussion would make life harder on a fan right now as it requires an incredible amount of focus to actually stay tuned in. Even more to see something positive outside of the crease, and even the goalies haven't exactly been fan-fucking-tastic.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

negativity is such an attractive mistress...especially when there may be cause for it.. wow no holding back then. Even if its correct.
:wow:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Mëds wrote:Good points Per. Normally I'd rip on someone for comparing hockey and chess, but in the case of this team both are about equally exciting to watch these days.....although I think a concussion would make life harder on a fan right now as it requires an incredible amount of focus to actually stay tuned in. Even more to see something positive outside of the crease, and even the goalies haven't exactly been fan-fucking-tastic.
OK, that's actually pretty funny. Made me laugh a little.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

We need a plan.

Grab the torches & the pitchforks.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I have to say this, but from what I know of the rumours, it was:

Bozak & Kadri
for
Lou

East is more open, easier to get points - the NHL's top 8 point point leaders are in the Eastern Conference,out of the current top 20, only 5 players represent the West.

IMHO, Kadri wouldn't be putting up the same numbers on a Western Conference Team, even if he was capable of doing it, AV would have killed his confidence within a week.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:

Bozak & Kadri
for
Lou

East is more open, easier to get points - the NHL's top 8 point point leaders are in the Eastern Conference,out of the current top 20, only 5 players represent the West.

IMHO, Kadri wouldn't be putting up the same numbers on a Western Conference Team, even if he was capable of doing it, AV would have killed his confidence within a week.
I hate watching the Canucks lost to a team like Columbus. Unfortunately, the Canucks were playing without two of the top six defensemen, a 2nd line centre, and a 3rd line centre. If you take the same type of players off Pittsburgh, Detroit or Chicago, I am not sure how many games they could win even against teams like Columbus or Calgary.

However, I agree this team really badly needs a 3rd line centre to replace Lapierre/Raymond/Schroeder. Lapierre has shown that he could be a temporary 3rd line centre but not a permanent one. Raymond just could not win a faceoff. Schroeder is not doing much offensively, especailly when he is playing with Weise and Sestito.

Two seasons ago, people complained about the Canucks having too much skilled but soft players. Now, they have two power forwards, Kassian and Booth, who carry the pucks to the net with authority. Kassian is young and Booth just came back from injury a few games ago. In the last few games, they created numerous chances. With a little luck or a more skillful centre, they could have potted a few goals.

Raymond has been good this year but he is still too soft. Higgins is rugged but not as talented as Raymond. Both players will be UFAs this summer. Assuming Booth stays, MG can only afford to keep one of Higgins and Raymond for the third line left winger. Perhaps it is time to sell high and get a 3rd line centre in return.