Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Meds »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Mëds wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:RD is one of the few aroung here who does not dream about rubbing GMMG's cock all over their faces... he sees it the way it is...Gillis is a shitty GM... End of story.
I'm leaning more this way, but not because of the players he's moved; because of the loyalty to a coaching staff that should have been gone after a first round exit that didn't even get to 5 games.....this after floundering and playing absolute shit hockey for a month and a half leading up to the playoffs.

leaning more this way???? are you serious!!! your posts read that your choice of position is the middle of the circle...
My post regarding MG have always been in regards to his decisions on players and the subsequent signings and moves. I'm definitely middle of the circle there, and probably lean a bit more towards him being an alright GM.

But I am getting fed up with our coaching staff, that is no secret. If there are two whipping boys that I have on this team they are Edler and Vigneault.

When you look at what this team needs right now a center and a dman on the right side, I am frustrated by his choices to some extent. I do think we had the pieces and picks to pry Weber's rights out of Nashville. Edler should have been part of that package, even if it included a first, Ballard, Raymond, and a prospect. I would have given up a pair of 1st rounders given this team's drafting track record. He still could have signed Garrison and we would have had....

Hamhuis-Weber
Garrison-Bieksa
????????-Tanev
Alberts
Barker?

I don't get the impression that he even tried beyond a brief inquiry.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This is a big year for Gillis imho. This team has a couple of glaring holes and he damned well needs to plug them before or at the deadline.

Unlike the urine crew I don't jump up and down and cry and call the guy a shitty GM and fill my jeans with piss. But hey whatever floats your boat.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:This is a big year for Gillis imho. This team has a couple of glaring holes and he damned well needs to plug them before or at the deadline.

Unlike the urine crew I don't jump up and down and cry and call the guy a shitty GM and fill my jeans with piss. But hey whatever floats your boat.

so Blob...when the holes are still apparent after the deadline are you still going to be applying lube???
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

the Dogsalmon wrote:RD is one of the few aroung here who does not dream about rubbing GMMG's cock all over their faces... he sees it the way it is...Gillis is a shitty GM... End of story.
If Gillis is such a shitty GM, this must be one hell of a group of players who have put together one of the best records of success in the NHL over the past 5 years totally IN SPITE of the shitty, terrible, god awful management from the top.

Boy, that is impressive.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Come gather around me my little Canuck Minions. I know the ways of the world :devil:

All kidding aside, my usual beef as always with the opinions of Gillis around here is that he walked into an ideal situation that any GM would dream to have, where I seem to get into trouble around here is arguing this with those who somehow think Mike is a real special GM and this good run was all his doing, in which we all know was not. I will give Kudos to Gillis for recognizing that the previous regimes had put real good pieces in place in all positions and that the previous managements good work is made aware of by Gillis not trading that core group provided by previous GM's. Outside of that, I think he has done a below average job in adding to that.

It was a fail safe system he inherited. You could drop any role playing bottom 6 forward or 3rd pairing defenders with that core group and we would still have won those overrated Presidents Trophies. The results the same. At the end of the day, it's your top players that take you to the promise land not your bottom 6 and 3rd pairing defenseman. And the Canucks had a top notch core group with great players in all the important areas that was just about to hit it's stride when Gillis took over the reigns.

What I like about the current situation is that we finally get to see what ole Mikey is made of, and so far he's coming across as kind of confused as to what to do and lacking the balls to make a bold move in which I think this team really needs right now. These constant tinkerings of the 3rd and 4th line and 3rd pairing defenseman is getting fucking tiresome and ain't doing much.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:This is a big year for Gillis imho. This team has a couple of glaring holes and he damned well needs to plug them before or at the deadline.

so Blob...when the holes are still apparent after the deadline are you still going to be applying lube???

If the holes are still here and they flame out in the first round I will be all over Gillis like a bad smell. He has less than a month to tinker with this team . i just don't see the need to crap all over the guy when there is really nothing going on as far as trades go right now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cap management for next year takes precedence over all else. Line up talent will be secondary.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Topper wrote:Cap management for next year takes precedence over all else. Line up talent will be secondary.

that does not make me feel so good...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't know why, I just don't give a shit about this season.

Obviously I want the team to win but I'm not sure that watching them blow their wad trying to load up at the trade deadline in order to do it is the way to go. I guess I just think it's too late to solve problems like "what happens if Kesler gets injured" and "what happens if we need another first line forward" at this stage of the season (and given all the weirdness inherent in a short season).

I agree with Blob that this year is a big one for Gillis.. but for me it's more about where this franchise is headed next season than how they finish this one.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anything can happen this season as all teams not the Blackhawks hit bumps in the road during the season but there are too many question marks with this club.

If the season does end up a failure, early round exit, don't make the playoffs etc. Gillis has to make a serious face lift to the club and firing the coach in which you know he will, is just temporarily steering the attention away from the real problem which is the personnel on the ice, his doing, not AV's. It doesn't help either that his drafting over these last 5 drafts has been fucking horrible to say the least.

IMO, Kesler, Edler and Schneider are the trades to make. And buying out one of or both Booth and Ballard if you can't trade them. It's not a rebuild, not with the Sedins here. Nobody wants Luongo and that contract with his age. Luongo is not going to return us a significant asset to make that change this team needs to make. Gillis is fucking dreaming if he thinks some GM is gonna cave in to him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:
If Gillis is such a shitty GM, this must be one hell of a group of players who have put together one of the best records of success in the NHL over the past 5 years totally IN SPITE of the shitty, terrible, god awful management from the top.

Boy, that is impressive.
And given that posters opinions of the previous GM this team has somehow continued on a more or less upward trajectory for the past nine years despite awful management every step of the way.

As far as I can tell the Dogsalmon just likes talking shit (even if it's the same shit, over and over) and when cornered likes to throw out the "I've been a fan for __ years, win the cup blah blah" routine.

I guess all those years of losing broke his brain. :crazy:
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

after 43 years of losing...of course my brain is broken...and when "you" have had a 1/2 century of hockey disappointment "you" will feel the same...i dont find losing acceptable...but you do...to each his own...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

dbr wrote:As far as I can tell the Dogsalmon just likes talking shit
To many of us he is cold and clamy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Topper wrote:
dbr wrote:As far as I can tell the Dogsalmon just likes talking shit
To many of us he is cold and clamy.

i can live with that...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd have to agree that this trade deadline/off season is where Gillis needs to deal with a few issues. Up to this point he has had the excuse that icing a top team proves changes aren't so apparent but this years squad looks a level below the previous few Canucks teams.

With a huge payroll to trim, the Luongo soap opera and addressing weaknesses that have recently become more apparent, this is definitely going to be his greatest challenge as a GM.
If you need air...call it in