Mar 5 Sharks @ Canucks S-Pac - 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Mar 5 Sharks @ Canucks S-Pac - 7pm

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lappy sucks this year.

I have never seen Henrik look as slow as he looks this year. I am including his rookie season. Just brutal defensively, the opposition gets as many grade-A chances when the Sedins are out as we do.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:So Schroeder moves the puck well enough to play on our first PP unit but he gets stuck playing on the 4th line.

Booth might actually be able to use his speed effectively if he had a centre that could hit him in stride. Right now all he can do is push the puck forward and forecheck after it.

Lappy is an elite 4th line centre at best, switch him and Schroeder please.
You can be sure that they are not trying to trade Schroeder away. No "Coho" treatment! :lol:
I think Gillis would trade Schroeder in a heartbeat. He could make the third line of some teams right now, but I don't see it happening here... especially when we pick up another center.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Barker gave up the puck and the Sharks got a good scoring chance. He also saved the game by blocking a shot that was definitely going in.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

What a terrible call against the sharks in OT. The reffing in the NHL is a complete joke.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

That 4-on-3 formation was pretty weak. Move some guys around and make some lanes.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Shootouts suck if you're a Canucks fan, but that's what you deserve when you don't bury your chances.

Can't believe they put Edler out for the shootout. He was flailing around most of the game and hasn't scored on the shootout in what feels like a long time.

Canucks played a really strong game for the most part. This team has too many third-liners right now and as a result there isn't much finish. I really hope we upgrade our forwards soon.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote:That 4-on-3 formation was pretty weak. Move some guys around and make some lanes.
They needed Garrison out the full 4-on-3, once he got out there the Sharks noticeably tried to take his shot away leaving down low wide open.

Burrows needed to bury his chance there!

Fought back to get one I guess.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Maybe Jensen can come over strictly for shootout attempts.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:This team has too many third-liners right now and as a result there isn't much finish. I really hope we upgrade our forwards soon.
Michael Grabner with his 9th goal tonight

Cody Hodgson with his 9th and 10th goal tonight

Both players would be leading this team in goals.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We should be thankful, we are playing in one of the worst divisions in the NHL.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:This team has too many third-liners right now and as a result there isn't much finish. I really hope we upgrade our forwards soon.

But we have bazooka bang Baltard!

lolzlol!!11
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Time to sit the 1st team PP. Start with someone else until they burn out. It just isn't working this season, nor the end of last season. Gotta change it up.

We got a valuable point to go 3 up on Minny but to me we blew a chance against the Flames and tonight to grab 4 points. All we come away with is one.

Ballard hurt and did not finish so unless Bieksa is ready to go I think we are in for some run around games.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:

Yet they'll both be golfing in May...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lousy start to this one. Good push back in the second period.

PP is horrible. Gave up a SH goal to Burish.....that's embarassing!

Schneider made some huge saves tonight, especially in the first period. They had so many chances before they finally put that rocket into the top shelf from an uncontested player in the slot. Would like to have seen him make that save on the second goal, as it was he got out, challenged and it went off of his glove and in. That shouldn't have happened in the first place as we were supposed to be on the PP. Made two really good stops in the S/O, too bad Vigneault is such a hack when it comes to recognizing that practicing the shootout is actually important.

Edler with one of his worst games in a while. Took a stupid penalty to start things off, couldn't handle a pass to save his life.....dunno how many times I heard Shorthouse say, "and Edler just couldn't handle it at the blueline....", or something similar to that. I did like that he was blasting away from the point for a change, even if he wasn't hitting the net, Niemi wasn't seeing those shots until he heard them ring off the boards or glass behind him.

Hansen is flying right now. Love his game. So is Raymond.

Schroeder on the 4th line over Lapierre? Vigneault simply has his head up his ass.

Our PP is brutal. 2nd unit much more effective. Garrison not getting enough time, and when he does, he isn't getting set up effectively. Though the Sharks sure knew when he was there and that created some chances down low as they adjusted their coverage.....a shame we can't lift the puck.

Why can't we shoot the puck the way Pavelski did in the shootout? Why do we have to come in so slow and then rifle it at the goalie or try some lame deke that doesn't work worth shit? Kassian is either 33% or 50% in the S/O this year, Schroeder is 50%, both MUCH better options than Edler.

Booth cruising with his speed, Kassian controling the puck well and making room with his size, but that's about it. Lapierre really nullifies the potential of that line.

All in all the effort wasn't terrible, but the gameplan is brutal.

Oh and Niemi is not as good as we make him look. He does a really good job of taking away the bottom of the net and then Luongo'ing forward onto his stomach as he stretches out to go post to post with his legs. For some reason Canuck shooters don't like to lift the puck. Hansen finally did and he tied the game. Low shots for rebounds on him are pointless if the rebound can't be shovelled into the top 3/4's of the net. Butterfly goalies love the Vigneault's gameplan, low shots for rebounds with nobody (most of the time) on the weak side to get the puck. Just drop and butterfly and let it hit you, try to direct it to the far side of the net and let your defense pick it up. The shot might get deflected once in a while, but most times it will just miss or hit the chest protector anyhow. When the puck does end up on the ice in front of the crease just stack up and take away the near post. Sigh.

I wonder how much longer we have to watch the team struggle on the scoreboard. As much as the defense has been scrambling alot of late, there have been plenty of games that are lost due to an inability to put some easy pucks in the back of the net.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

okcanuck wrote:What a terrible call against the sharks in OT. The reffing in the NHL is a complete joke.
Total agreement. I laughed when that was called. First time in my life that I felt sorry for an opposing team getting
called for a penalty, especially with the game on the line. I really cannot fathom this B.S.