GDT: March 3 at Calgary: 5PM SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: March 3 at Calgary: 5PM SN

Post by Orcasfan »

Of course, over at CDC, there's an uproar about Ballard not playing (again) - blamed on AV's apparent dislike of the guy. :eh:
People seem to think that Ballard has been playing very well this season... :hmmm: Sorry, I don't quite see it that way. No doubt he has improved - but the same difficult dynamics seem to be surfacing again!
1. In 20 games he has scored only 1 point! (and people thought Tanev has a problem scoring?). And this scoring deficiency is nothing new - it has been dogging him for a while.
2. His +/ - stats seem to be worsening. Even though these stats are not that meaningful, they probably are at least relevant when compared to his (most) regular D partner (Tanev).

I think his partnering with Tanev was actually more beneficial to him, rather than to Tanev! Ballard is not a big D like, say, Garrison. So, he can't be relied upon to play that physical, shut-down defense (unlike Bieksa). He certainly doesn't seem to have much of a scoring touch either (unlike Bieksa). Obviously, I mention Bieksa, because he is comparable in size and age. I could just have easily used Hamhuis as a comparison.

So, here's a guy who can't score; who can't be that shut-down D-man; and who the coaches don't trust a helluva lot! (And, "coaches" includes Rick Bowness, who is really responsible for the D.) So, what does he really contribute to the team's chances of winning? I don't know, it's not a mystery to me why the coaches want to try and give guys like Barker and Alberts a few games. They certainly need to get Alberts into the line-up if he is going to be useful at all this year. And they also need to see just what they have in Barker. :look: This game against Calgary seems to be the perfect spot for some experimenting!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Canucks need to make sure both teams stay out of the box. Our PP is just sad. The Sedins zone entry/set-up is painfully predictable, and the second unit has more characters than a Soderbergh movie.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Orcasfan wrote:Of course, over at CDC, there's an uproar about Ballard not playing (again) - blamed on AV's apparent dislike of the guy. :eh:
I guess we are watching different games this year.

The more I think about it the more I realize AV really cant be that stupid to play Alberts and Baker ahead of Ballard. can he???
NorCalNucks
CC Rookie

Post by NorCalNucks »

Orcasfan wrote:Rant about Ballard
Hmm... I would think that a defenseman's primary job is to play defense and all the offense stuff is just icing on top. I really don't think plus and minus does defenseman justice especially those whose primary task is not scoring and not given PP time. Anyways from what I watched and read I would actually say Tanev and Ballard COMPLIMENT each other. Here is to hoping a trade is in the works and not that AV just don't want to use Ballard. Anyone can see that Alberts and Bark are not the answer. If its AV then he needs to go cuz he is blinded by his own whatever. And I fully expect Ballard to be a little rusty if he does get put back in the line so please don't go around and say "I told you so"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Higgins is having fun lately.
Is that the journeyman from Montreal, New York, Calgary, and Florida? :lol:
Yes, he's the one... :lol:
Nah, any other teams are fine, except Florida. :D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Orcasfan wrote:Of course, over at CDC, there's an uproar about Ballard not playing (again) - blamed on AV's apparent dislike of the guy. :eh:
People seem to think that Ballard has been playing very well this season... :hmmm: Sorry, I don't quite see it that way. No doubt he has improved - but the same difficult dynamics seem to be surfacing again!
1. In 20 games he has scored only 1 point! (and people thought Tanev has a problem scoring?). And this scoring deficiency is nothing new - it has been dogging him for a while.
2. His +/ - stats seem to be worsening. Even though these stats are not that meaningful, they probably are at least relevant when compared to his (most) regular D partner (Tanev).

I think his partnering with Tanev was actually more beneficial to him, rather than to Tanev! Ballard is not a big D like, say, Garrison. So, he can't be relied upon to play that physical, shut-down defense (unlike Bieksa). He certainly doesn't seem to have much of a scoring touch either (unlike Bieksa). Obviously, I mention Bieksa, because he is comparable in size and age. I could just have easily used Hamhuis as a comparison.

So, here's a guy who can't score; who can't be that shut-down D-man; and who the coaches don't trust a helluva lot! (And, "coaches" includes Rick Bowness, who is really responsible for the D.) So, what does he really contribute to the team's chances of winning? I don't know, it's not a mystery to me why the coaches want to try and give guys like Barker and Alberts a few games. They certainly need to get Alberts into the line-up if he is going to be useful at all this year. And they also need to see just what they have in Barker. :look: This game against Calgary seems to be the perfect spot for some experimenting!

Tell me do your ears smell like shit ??
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Anyone see how Sestito fared against McGrattan?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

BladesofSteel wrote:Anyone see how Sestito fared against McGrattan?
I think he lost but got a bomb or 2 in before they went down. Good on him, mcgratton is a beast...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

rats19 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Anyone see how Sestito fared against McGrattan?
I think he lost but got a bomb or 2 in before they went down. Good on him, mcgratton is a beast...
Sounds like he has some game. Hopefully, this isn't just to impress the boss, and is the real Sestito.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Another unsportsmanlike bench minor? The Canucks must say the worst things to the refs... FFS this is the NHL you stripped faggots. Grow some skin. While your at it, grow some sight. Completely missed the headshot that resulted in the complaints.

I'm sick of these NHL refs. Most ego-driven officials in sports. They literally are a third team out there.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Seem to have lost our legs here in the third.....

Officials take the BS from Hartley in the first but then decided to give Calgary the boost when AV voices his displeasure.

I expect another penalty to us in the last two minutes.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Full marks to Taylor for the Calgary win tonight. He played well.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

We really shouldn't lose to this team...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: I expect another penalty to us in the last two minutes.
you got it! Although it's a pretty obvious one.

Well. Poor game from the Canucks. On to the next one.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Canucks looked tired, big win yesterday, weird flight in so this was probably a win for the Flames.

Really tired of how the officials are affecting the outcomes of more and more games this season.