Weise or Volpatti?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Weise or Volpatti

Weise
60%
Volpatti
23%
Neither
17%

Total votes: 30

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Weise or Volpatti?

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:
dhabums wrote:Another American on the roster. We now have 8, does that lead the NHL? We have 10 Canadians, but Barker and Pinner have never actually played a game for us.

Is it time to start a USA, USE, USA chant at Rogers?
from what I am hearing this year..any chant would be welcome..
Ebbett back to the wolves??? Didn't the Canucks put Kesler on IR? The Canucks might have Pinizzotto ready soon...
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Sestito to Canucks, ebbett back to wolves, burrows and/or Raymond to centre
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Topper wrote:McKnuckledragger was immediately assigned the Doc's local.

Does the waiver claim mean he must be kept on the roster the remainder of the season?
Just called up it seems:

McKnuckledragger Called Up
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I.... THINK... Gillis lucked out and ended up with a slightly better you-know-wot than Volpatti or Pinzzotto.

But yeah, he's DEFINITELY a you-know-wot:

:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Ebbett back to the wolves??? Didn't the Canucks put Kesler on IR? The Canucks might have Pinizzotto ready soon...
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Sestito to Canucks, ebbett back to wolves, burrows and/or Raymond to centre
So let's see if I have this right.

Gillis knows Kesler is hurting big time, but either doesn't know about the MRI or doesn't believe he's hurt that bad.

So in order to open a roster spot for Pinzzotto, he waives Volpatti.

note: Gillis is paranoid a team would pluck Pinner (ZERO NHL games, 17 AHL games in last 2 years) off the wire. :crazy:

Yeah, so he waives Volpatti instead of Pinner.

THEN he finds out about Kesler's broken bone.

So he calls up Ebbett to replace Kesler.

Then Volpatti gets plucked and Sestito happens to go on waivers.

Gillis plucks Sestito and to make room sends Ebbett (he actually traveled to Vancouver, worked out at Roger's) back down.

So what have we learned?

Hopefully we've learned to listen to Kesler when he says he's hurt.

We've also learned that Gillis figures Sestito > Pinzzotto > Volpatti.

He might be right on that count but if so he's damn lucky Sestito became available no?

____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^

You got it right! But forgot to add that when he needed to make room for Kesler he decides now is the time to force manny out. Kelser has cost us manny and Volpatti!! :oops:

Seems like Sestito can kill penalties too so if he is successful at that with us that gives him a leg up on Volpatti. Supposed to be sound in his own end, a hard checker and good hands with a hard shot. Sounds like MG spin all the way. Time will tell.

I mean if he is all of that and given where the Flyers are why waive him. Oh ya they got Gange back. Or is this the roster move MG was waiting for in order to consummate the Luongo deal? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Like how he isn't concerned about our lack of centres either.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Well, I guess he'll fit right in and do alot of trash talking/chirping with Burr, Lap-Dawg and Kes. :lol: At least he seems to be willing to back it up and is a willing guy to drop his gloves.

Overall, I do like this pickup though. He seems really lanky for a fighter and kind of reminds me of Craig Coxe in that regard. He has the size to be a heavyweight and he looks like a typical hockey goon and willling to talk it; however, not sure he's the best fighter though cuz he didn't really beat the snot out of anyone from what I saw from his fights. He did OK, but seems a bit clumsy while fighting as well. Oh well, a line of Sestito-LapDawg-Weise/Kassassian should be fun to watch. :lol: I think he's a slight upgrade over Volpatti.

Strangelove wrote:I.... THINK... Gillis lucked out and ended up with a slightly better you-know-wot than Volpatti or Pinzzotto.

But yeah, he's DEFINITELY a you-know-wot:

:lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: You got it right! But forgot to add that when he needed to make room for Kesler he decides now is the time to force manny out. Kelser has cost us manny and Volpatti!! :oops:
True.

We are dying in the dot with both Manny and Kess out!
Hockey Widow wrote: Seems like Sestito can kill penalties too so if he is successful at that with us that gives him a leg up on Volpatti. Supposed to be sound in his own end, a hard checker and good hands with a hard shot. Sounds like MG spin all the way. Time will tell.
Actually Sestito hasn't done any penalty-killing at the NHL level.

Listening to Gillis above you'd think he HAS, with the way he talks about 4th liners needing to have that ability.

4th-liner Volpatti was waived because he couldn't PK yet Sestito who can't PK was picked up? :shock:

I guess we could chalk this up to Gillis not wanting to kick Volpatti when he's down, which is fine.

I'm sure Gillis figures Pinner can PK at the NHL level (I'm doubtful)

.... but I don't think he has any illusions of Sestito on the PK.

With Kessler out, it looks as though the plan is to run Pinner and Sestito in/out of the 4th line and see what shakes.

That is after Pinner returns to game shape.

Pinner is on a two week conditioning stint with the Wolves....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I liked the way Volpatti was playing.

Sure he has hands of stone, but he was hitting everything in sight and he's tough as shit. Coulda been useful in the playoffs with a bit more development.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I like the way Volpatti was playing as well.

A bit of a rare asset mismanagement faux pas by Gillis this week. We haven't seen much of this, and we know this management team hates losing useful assets for nothing.

I suspect picking up Sestito was in reaction to losing Volpatti rather than something that was planned. Chances are he's shite and won't work out.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Even if Gillis knew Pinizzotto was coming back, he hasn't played in so long it would be reasonable to assume that he would end up in the minors so why the panic over waiving Volpatti. What is scary is that Ebbett continues to be a call up option in the case of injury. Surely there is some other player (younger and bigger who can at least skate at the NHL level) management could give the nod to as an injury fill in.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

And Volpatti had a fight in his first game with the Caps against Peluso.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote: We've also learned that Gillis figures Sestito > Pinzzotto > Volpatti.
IIRC, today's the last day/game of the Pinizzotto conditioning stint. If so, who goes to Chi Town? Or is it waivers?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

mpp wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote: We've also learned that Gillis figures Sestito > Pinzzotto > Volpatti.
IIRC, today's the last day/game of the Pinizzotto conditioning stint. If so, who goes to Chi Town? Or is it waivers?
He's already on the roster, so no waivers needed and no need to move somebody. The Nucks are already playing with only 12 forwards so Pinizzotto will be the 13th.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Diehard1 wrote: He's already on the roster, so no waivers needed and no need to move somebody. The Nucks are already playing with only 12 forwards so Pinizzotto will be the 13th.
Thanks. Got lost in this shuffle, apparently.