2013 Season Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2013 Season Injury Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Shit, next year again... how much pain can one gain?
Speaking of pain:

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma
Kesler update: #Canucks centre actually broke his right foot in first game back on Feb. 15 against Dallas, not Feb. 21 in Dallas.

:shock:

WOW he broke it in his first game back and played the next 6 games on a broken foot.

This guy is unreal....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:Shit, next year again... how much pain can one gain?
Speaking of pain:

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma
Kesler update: #Canucks centre actually broke his right foot in first game back on Feb. 15 against Dallas, not Feb. 21 in Dallas.

:shock:

WOW he broke it in his first game back and played the next 6 games on a broken foot.

This guy is unreal....
Let's just hope that doesn't mean it develops into a Forsberg kind of foot issue... :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Let's just hope that doesn't mean it develops into a Forsberg kind of foot issue... :|
I don't see why it would.

But yeah, Kesler and Forsberg are similar in the pain-threshold departments if that's what you mean.

Hard to believe that Forsberg is Swedish sometimes! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am more worried that Kesler becomes the new Salo, injury prone.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

He plays the game incredibly hard for an "injury prone" player.

Not many guys would go 6 games on a broken foot.

This guy is as tough as it gets...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Booth having surgery today per Gillis interview on 1040, and many tweets.

May be ready in playoffs.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:Booth having surgery today per Gillis interview on 1040, and many tweets.

Surgery for an ankle sprain? That seems odd to me..
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

dbr wrote: Surgery for an ankle sprain? That seems odd to me..
I heard Farhan Lalji on the TEAM the other day say it was more than just an ankle sprain, but he wouldn't go further into it...I guess he was right.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Booth having surgery today per Gillis interview on 1040, and many tweets.

Should be healthy just in time for the buy out playoffs
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

According to the interwebs, a high ankle sprain, or ankle syndesmosis injury; "if at any point during treatment an X-ray shows a diastasis, surgery will probably be recommended."
Surgery for a syndesmosis injury is designed to reduce the separation between the tibia and fibula. If there are no barriers keeping the tibia and fibula apart, the surgeon may simply need to place screws through the two bones to hold them together while the ligaments heal.
In summary, sounds like Booth may have a diastasis of tibia and fibula due to a severe sprain or tear of the syndesmotic ligaments...sounds shitty.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote:

Should be healthy just in time for the buy out playoffs
We better hope so... because if he's not medically cleared until the fall we have to wait until next offseason to buy him out.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Maybe this summer they can put honey on him and use him as bear bait.

Better $$$ spent on that than him.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

We have not been told the specifics of Booth's injury (ie, does he have complete syndesmotic ligament tears or not...if he does it is a grade 3 injury, if he doesn't it is a grade 2) nor the specifics of the surgical treatment (was it an arthroscopic procedure with cleaning up torn ligamentous debris or was it an open procedure with screw fixation). Without this knowledge it is hard to know what his recovery course might be expected to be.

Having said that, either way, expecting him back in 8 weeks is very very optimistic and expecting him to be out 12 to 24 weeks (and it could be longer) would be a more realistic way to plan. If I was Booth I would be parroting Kessler and saying I won't be back until the injury is perfectly healed as if he comes back too soon he risks long term complications and perhaps even the end of his career.

The only plausible reason I can think of that MG would tell the media that Booth might be back in 8 weeks is to use that possibility as a reason for whatever player personnel decisions he makes from now till the trade deadline, and to give the Canuck faithful some hope (at least those that believe that Booth's presence would make a difference).
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Waffle wrote:We have not been told the specifics of Booth's injury (ie, does he have complete syndesmotic ligament tears or not...if he does it is a grade 3 injury, if he doesn't it is a grade 2) nor the specifics of the surgical treatment (was it an arthroscopic procedure with cleaning up torn ligamentous debris or was it an open procedure with screw fixation). Without this knowledge it is hard to know what his recovery course might be expected to be.

Having said that, either way, expecting him back in 8 weeks is very very optimistic and expecting him to be out 12 to 24 weeks (and it could be longer) would be a more realistic way to plan. If I was Booth I would be parroting Kessler and saying I won't be back until the injury is perfectly healed as if he comes back too soon he risks long term complications and perhaps even the end of his career.

The only plausible reason I can think of that MG would tell the media that Booth might be back in 8 weeks is to use that possibility as a reason for whatever player personnel decisions he makes from now till the trade deadline, and to give the Canuck faithful some hope (at least those that believe that Booth's presence would make a difference).
No way he gets flown out of Vancouver for arthroscopic surgery. Definitely more of a major surgery methinks. I would say he's out a minimum 3 months, but likely more given the scope of the injury. Canucks will have to be DEEP into the playoffs for Booth to play hockey again this year.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tanti09 wrote:No way he gets flown out of Vancouver for arthroscopic surgery.
Why do you say this?