Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:Ole Gillis is really coming up aces lately.

The most overrated GM ever.
OK.... so when contemplating the marvellous endeavours of people like, well, I don't know, Mike Milbury, Doug McLean, Garth Snow, Lou Lamoriello, John Ferguson Jr, Kevin Lowe, Jay Feaster, the Sutters, Dean Lombardi, Craig Button, Glen Sather... just off the top of my head... you come to the indisputable conclusion that Mike Gillis really cuts the cake?

:|

I'd love to see how you came to that conclusion. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Per wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Ole Gillis is really coming up aces lately.

The most overrated GM ever.
OK.... so when contemplating the marvellous endeavours of people like, well, I don't know, Mike Milbury, Doug McLean, Garth Snow, Lou Lamoriello, John Ferguson Jr, Kevin Lowe, Jay Feaster, the Sutters, Dean Lombardi, Craig Button, Glen Sather... just off the top of my head... you come to the indisputable conclusion that Mike Gillis really cuts the cake?

:|

I'd love to see how you came to that conclusion. :drink:
RD has been on this bandwagon for years - he makes a statement about somebody, then as soon as that guy starts performing he backs right off. Did it with Schroeder just this year in fact, and now he's Schroeder's biggest fan. I think somebody forgets to take their bipolar Mëds some days.

Gillis is doing a fine job - yes he's got some improvements to make this season both on D (another RH needed) and either in the top 6 or top 9. There's a few guys I would like to see brought in, like Doc I think that Florida is where Lu is going and it will be relatively soon. If that's the case I'd love to see Weiss back (even though he's been awful this year and is a UFA so his value is down) along with a prospect, pick and a salary dump that can be bought out this off-season. My guess is Gillis has to add to Lu to get that done, maybe with a Raymond or even a Schroeder because he's cheap, but it would strengthen the team quite a bit.

My best guess?

Weiss
Petrovic
Upshall
2nd

for

Lu
Raymond
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:How long did that new leaf you turned over last?
When did you get the impression that I was going to change my opinions regarding Mike Gillis? Are all of you really that much in love with the guy? If so, I will try to contain my Gillis slags to a low roar as to not to upset the apple cart around here.
Oh I wasn't referring to changing your opinions about Mike Gillis, I was more referring to you changing your opinions about this message board - I kinda thought you were going to pretend that the board and other posters deserve better than the same old tired Chef Boi RD (ie. microwaved dogs breakfast.. to put it kindly) routine.

You wanna know what I think about losing Volpatti on waivers?

If I really stretch and try to be charitable to the Canucks brass, I think that maybe they decided they have no real use for the guy and cut him loose so he could attempt to earn another NHL contract somewhere else. Slightly less charitable, I think they didn't realize they were going to have Kesler out of the lineup until they'd already waived Volpatti, and simply mismanaged that situation. At worst they waived this player just to get him off the roster and lost him for nothing (which would be uncharacteristic given how long they've hung onto worse players than Volpatti in the past).

That being said, my opinion of Volpatti is that I'd rather see him in a fight that Dale Weise, but if I was putting together a line that I wanted to either score a goal or not give one up, I'd take Weise ten times out of ten over Aaron, hell I'd probably take Andrew Ebbett eight times out of ten for that matter. So yeah I'm not losing any sleep over this, there are five or six other guys the Canucks could use as much or more who've hit waivers so far this year so that's what, one a week for the season so far?
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: My complaint against Gillis would be: Can't you find anyone better than these two you-know-wots??!! :devil:
Tom Sestito is on waivers,

:drink:
:lol:

Good call! (i think)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Vader wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: My complaint against Gillis would be: Can't you find anyone better than these two you-know-wots??!! :devil:

Good call! (i think)
:thumbs:

Gotta keep that Eye-talian quota up!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: The most overrated GM ever.
Really? Still thinking that?
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: The most overrated GM ever.
Really? Still thinking that?
Bahaha!
I'm thinking that red face isn't just his heart trying to pump through twenty pounds of hotdog sludge
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just wait til he gets pissed off...
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Just wait til he gets pissed off...
burp....burp...burp....reburp....burp burp reburp
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

Good call! (i think)
A VERY GOOD CALL! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mondi wrote: Salo < Garrison - younger

Samuelsson < Booth - younger

Hodgson = Kassian - a wash

Grabner > Ballard - whatever

Salo + Erhoff lower cap hit than --> Ballard + Garrison - there is already whining galore over the Luongo contract

Luongo Contract - arguably, its not his contract that holding up a trade...

Starting to come around to RD's POV?
Never!!

However...if the Canucks near future includes a backslide into mediocrity I reserve the right to turn on Gillis like hungry jackal...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RD is one of the few aroung here who does not dream about rubbing GMMG's cock all over their faces... he sees it the way it is...Gillis is a shitty GM... End of story.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:Salo > Garrison

Samuelsson > Booth

Hodgson > or = Kassian

Grabner > Ballard

Salo + Erhoff lower cap hit than --> Ballard + Garrison

Luongo Contract

Starting to come around to RD's POV?
While the above is certainly true, only Samuelsson and Salo were better than their replacements in this system with this coach.

You could trade just about anyone in our system and I bet they would perform better offensively on their new team than whatever piece(s) we got back perform here.

Salo/Garrison - well Salo has way more NHL experience and was a right handed shot, I would expect him to play better on the right side and also to be a more calming and stabilizing presence on the ice. I think you will always want the seasoned vet back over the younger player in the first year or so unless the youngster is a Karlsson or Crosby when it comes to the way they think the game. Gillis did want to retain Salo, but not at the price that Tampa paid. None of us would have been cheering over that contract.

Grabner/Ballard - different positions, forwards should put up more points. Grabner wasn't getting any more opportunities here with AV. I suspect that trade was motivated by Vigneault telling GMMG that he couldn't win without another top 4 defenseman who could skate both ways.

Hodgson/Kassian - different players completely. CoHo was a head case apparently. Hodgson wasn't producing until he was sheltered and showcased. Kassian was flying when he was receiving similar treatment to start the year. Bring Cody back and give him the same minutes that Kassian is getting and I bet he's got the worst +/- on the team and fewer points.

Samuelsson/Booth - we gave up smarts for speed and size. Sammy was a good vet to have, but he was streaky, I miss his hockey smarts, but I don't miss the question mark behind his name most nights. At least Booth brings an intensity level and speed you can count on night in and out. But Booth is never going to think the game like Samuelsson.

Letting Ehrhoff go and giving Lou that many years were the two biggest mistakes GMMG made. Lou should have been signed to a deal that ended when he was 39, not 41. Upped the cap hit by $500k but having it come off the books sooner may have made him a more manageable trade at this point if the back end had been structured similarly to the way it is now.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

the Dogsalmon wrote:RD is one of the few aroung here who does not dream about rubbing GMMG's cock all over their faces... he sees it the way it is...Gillis is a shitty GM... End of story.
I'm leaning more this way, but not because of the players he's moved; because of the loyalty to a coaching staff that should have been gone after a first round exit that didn't even get to 5 games.....this after floundering and playing absolute shit hockey for a month and a half leading up to the playoffs.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Mëds wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:RD is one of the few aroung here who does not dream about rubbing GMMG's cock all over their faces... he sees it the way it is...Gillis is a shitty GM... End of story.
I'm leaning more this way, but not because of the players he's moved; because of the loyalty to a coaching staff that should have been gone after a first round exit that didn't even get to 5 games.....this after floundering and playing absolute shit hockey for a month and a half leading up to the playoffs.

leaning more this way???? are you serious!!! your posts read that your choice of position is the middle of the circle...