Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanti09 wrote:Kind of surprised they matched - a 1st and 3rd rounder... potential top 5 pick this year. Hmmmm....
I wouldn't have matched that offer. i would have taken the lottery pick and rolled the dice on a better player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Viktor wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Better than playing hockey in Central America :P

Don't knock Central American Hockey. You get to shoot the refs for a bad call, the War Room is an actual war room, your hockey bag has a secret storage compartment, and there's no video replay because cameras are forbidden, well, everywhere.

Hi Kapil :mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Hi Kapil :mex:
No, no, no Blob.

He's a long time lurker, first time poster.

:roll:
Viktor
CC Rookie

Post by Viktor »

^I don't get it.

@Blob (love your username hahaha)

Draft picks are a crap shoot and ROR is a known commodity. COL played it safe, and they can trade him on their own terms next year.

Every draft year is projected as being great, but there's worse teams than CGY and they could wind up picking 10th overall. I'd take ROR over a 10th.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

NHL @NHL

RT @NHLFlames: The #Flames have acquired Brian McGrattan (@bigern10) from the #Preds. DETAILS ~ cflam.es/XmZLxb

28 Feb

Flames acquire Brian McGrattan

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have acquired right winger Brian McGrattan from the Nashville Predators in exchange for defenceman Joe Piskula.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rats19 wrote:NHL @NHL

RT @NHLFlames: The #Flames have acquired Brian McGrattan (@bigern10) from the #Preds. DETAILS ~ cflam.es/XmZLxb

28 Feb

Flames acquire Brian McGrattan

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have acquired right winger Brian McGrattan from the Nashville Predators in exchange for defenceman Joe Piskula.
Just in case they didn't get O'Reilly? :wow:
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Viktor wrote:^I don't get it.

@Blob (love your username hahaha)

Draft picks are a crap shoot and ROR is a known commodity. COL played it safe, and they can trade him on their own terms next year.
Every draft year is projected as being great, but there's worse teams than CGY and they could wind up picking 10th overall. I'd take ROR over a 10th.
This is exactly the problem. ROR cannot be traded for a full year after he signed the offer sheet, which will pass the trading deadline next season. After the contract expires, the next qualifying offer has to be $6.5m x 110% = $7.15m. Now, you can see the problem there. I just wish the Avs match and give the Flames a big FU. They could still get something before the free agency starts in two seasons if they decide not to qualify him.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

According to this SN article, ROR would have had to clear waivers before joining the Flames roster...

Because O’Reilly spent the last three years in Colorado, he’s not viewed as a free agent who is joining a NHL team from Europe midway through the season. As a result, he does not need to clear waivers before suiting up for the Avs again.

The circumstances would have been much different if Calgary’s offer sheet was accepted.

That would have created a potentially disastrous situation where the Flames had to send two decent draft picks to Colorado before losing the rights to O’Reilly immediately afterwards. Hypothetically, it could even have been the Avalanche that ended up putting in a waiver claim on the player, assuming that they dropped back below Calgary in the standings by the time he hit the wire at the end of next week.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/03/ ... n_oreilly/

That would have been priceless ;)
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

This is so amazing... I can't wait to hear what the idiots over at Calpuke have to say about this one.

In my opinion, that is a fireable action. In any other industry an oversight like that gets you fired.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

$lacker wrote:This is so amazing... I can't wait to hear what the idiots over at Calpuke have to say about this one.

In my opinion, that is a fireable action. In any other industry an oversight like that gets you fired.
Yeah, butt imho it was the Avalanche management that fucked up, they shoulda claimed him of waivers :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

$lacker wrote:This is so amazing... I can't wait to hear what the idiots over at Calpuke have to say about this one.

if you go over there ..bring back some timbits...err tidbits :sly:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

KeyserSoze wrote:According to this SN article, ROR would have had to clear waivers before joining the Flames roster...

Because O’Reilly spent the last three years in Colorado, he’s not viewed as a free agent who is joining a NHL team from Europe midway through the season. As a result, he does not need to clear waivers before suiting up for the Avs again.

The circumstances would have been much different if Calgary’s offer sheet was accepted.

That would have created a potentially disastrous situation where the Flames had to send two decent draft picks to Colorado before losing the rights to O’Reilly immediately afterwards. Hypothetically, it could even have been the Avalanche that ended up putting in a waiver claim on the player, assuming that they dropped back below Calgary in the standings by the time he hit the wire at the end of next week.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/03/ ... n_oreilly/

That would have been priceless ;)
What kind of stupid GM could have done this?? :lol: I bet you Sherman did not know that neither. If he knows, he would have matched. He got the picks and could pick him up for free...
Last edited by Jovocop on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

well maybe thats how much Karl got involved and skewed up clear thinking...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'll give you a hint...
Peter Griffin
If you need air...call it in
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

rats19 wrote:

if you go over there ..bring back some timbits...err tidbits :sly:
It's been fun over there... half the board simply wouldn't believe it could happen. The best part was when a bunch of them were saying "it's not true, Sportsnet is a joke... notice TSN hasn't reported it because they know everything.... blah blah blah" And then BOOM, Bob McKenzie says its true. Great stuff.