Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:This is a great move by Calgary. I think the AVs match though.
Me too, HW. Love the bold move here by the Flames MGMT and I think this is a very good move by the Flames if they pull it off. I'm a huge fan of O'Reilly, but yeah, I think the Lanche will match.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Canucks didn't try to sign O'Reilly, no RT @curtisandrews Cgy radio guys saying VAN did.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

O'Reilly's agents have confirmed to me that Vancouver did not present an offer sheet.
No kidding, I wouldn't expect anything more from Bold Moves Gillis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Like the move for the Flames, even if it doesn't work. They have zero youth and need a center badly.

That said, this move wouldn't work for the Nucks at all given they don't have the cap space even if they get rid of Lu and Booth/Ballard. Gillis will get somebody before the deadline I'm sure.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: That said, this move wouldn't work for the Nucks at all given they don't have the cap space even if they get rid of Lu and Booth/Ballard. Gillis will get somebody before the deadline I'm sure.

I haven't done the math yet but I'd be surprised if we couldn't fit an O'Reilly contract in without those 3 mentioned contracts on the books no more.

As for "Gillis will get somebody before the deadline I'm sure"...you say that like he never lets you down. I don't doubt he could get somebody before the deadline but will this somebody be worth it? Gillis is under the microscope now, love it, it's been a long time coming. He hasn't had a very good couple weeks has he. The media and fans were tearing him a new one on 1040 all day, even cocaine nasal Sekaris and Price themselves.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As a person who loathes the Flames and their fan base I LOVE this move.

Keep on keepin on Feaster you fat tub of shit. Brilliant idea ....lets sign a 50 point centre to a 5 million dollar a year contract. He will only ever top out as a 2nd line guy at best and is a poor mans Brandon Sutter but hey it's a bold move..... a really stupid move but it's bold. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :rofl: :rofl: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The best part of this is as dbr says he will have to be qualified at 6.5 and he and his old man Karl have already proven they are only after the money. Fucking spoiled brat kid will fit in well in the armpit of Canada.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So Blobby Black Label, you'd much rather have Deity Booth and his 4.5 million over O'Reilly and his $5 million?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:So Blobby Black Label, you'd much rather have Deity Booth and his 4.5 million over O'Reilly and his $5 million?
Neither... Just because one team makes a dumb move doesn't mean their ugly sister one province over has to go out and make a far dumber move.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:So Blobby Black Label, you'd much rather have Deity Booth and his 4.5 million over O'Reilly and his $5 million?
Neither... Just because one team makes a dumb move doesn't mean their ugly sister one province over has to go out and make a far dumber move.
O'Reilly will be a far better player than Booth will ever be, he already is.

Curious, how is Feaster an idiot for offer sheeting ROR and Gillis not for taking on Booth and his ridiculous contract? Feaster has nothing to lose here. Great move, BOLD MOVE!
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

There are many around the NHL surprised to hear Colorado has matched Calgary's offer sheet for O'Reilly.

Details
Well that didn't take long...
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Kind of surprised they matched - a 1st and 3rd rounder... potential top 5 pick this year. Hmmmm....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Given that they decided to match, doing it soon makes sense. They want him in the line up ASAP as they want to try and make the playoffs. Waiting the 7 days only hurts them.

I'm not surprised they matched.
The only HW the Canucks need
Viktor
CC Rookie

Post by Viktor »

Hockey Widow wrote:Given that they decided to match, doing it soon makes sense. They want him in the line up ASAP as they want to try and make the playoffs. Waiting the 7 days only hurts them.

I'm not surprised they matched.
They could also be concerned about next year's trade deadline...I don't think they can move him until 365 days have passed since he is signed, and his QO will be 6.5m I think. If they want to move him, the window to do so will be extremely tight.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

It is too late now, but would it have been possible for a team to trade for ROR's rights and then receive the 1st and 3rd from Calgary by not matching... say like Booth and Sauve and Archibald to Colorado and the Canucks get the picks from Calgary... just curious
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Feaster must be betting ROR becomes an uninjured Kelser nest season.

His impact this year will be minimal. If Colorado waits seven days to decide, the season will be 1/2 over, it will take ROR about 10 games to get up to speed (a guess based upon most players performance). That is 2/3rds to 3/4rs of the season done. It will have little impact on either teams final standings.

If I'm Colorado, I let the head case and his daddy go, take the first and third and have two high first round picks and two high third round picks.

Bold move by Feaster that could blow up on him. But what the fuck, by then Jay Bou will have move to the German leagues.
Waht's wrong with the German leagues? I have family coaching there 8-)

Better than playing hockey in Central America :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Viktor
CC Rookie

Post by Viktor »

Arachnid wrote:
Better than playing hockey in Central America :P

Don't knock Central American Hockey. You get to shoot the refs for a bad call, the War Room is an actual war room, your hockey bag has a secret storage compartment, and there's no video replay because cameras are forbidden, well, everywhere.