GDT: Feb 24 - Canucks @ Detroit Rock City 2:00PM SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Feb 24 - Canucks @ Detroit Rock City 2:00PM SNET-P

Post by vic »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Ahhh!! Panic! Fire AV! Trade the Sedins! Buy out Luongo! Fire Gillis! Sell the team! Cheer on Columbus!

Lets just move on. Forget this one, and chalk it up to what it was... one bad game.
AV should have been fired 3 years ago when they go embarrased by CHI for the second year in a row. Then again after the team failed to show up prepared to play the Kings.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Didn't see the game, but giving up eight is slightly embarrassing. Especially to a team that played less than 20hrs before, pretty disappointing effort.

Why on earth did Loungo stay in the whole game? Was there any explanation or rationalization given? It seems pretty crazy for a coach to do that, especially when the goaltending situation is already untenable. Not that I expect it to have any real impact on things, but why piss him off.

Sounds like penalties were a huge issue, but bottom line is the PK needs to be much better than it has been all year.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

WoW.. complete opposite to Preds game.. went from a great defensive team to shite in 2 days :(

An embarrassing loss.. but its still only a one game loss.. 1-0 or 8-3 comes out the same in the standings..
Detroit got hot.. refs didn't help .. but Luo and the Nucks played like crap on PP and PK ..and looked disinterested for the last 2 periods.. Just a stinker of a game ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Brick Tamland wrote:Didn't see the game, but giving up eight is slightly embarrassing. Especially to a team that played less than 20hrs before, pretty disappointing effort.

Why on earth did Loungo stay in the whole game? Was there any explanation or rationalization given? It seems pretty crazy for a coach to do that, especially when the goaltending situation is already untenable. Not that I expect it to have any real impact on things, but why piss him off.

Sounds like penalties were a huge issue, but bottom line is the PK needs to be much better than it has been all year.
AV did the right thing by leaving Luongo in there. We all know Shnieds is starting the next game. Why would you risk an injury to him in a lost game?
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

vic wrote:
JelloPuddingPop wrote:Ahhh!! Panic! Fire AV! Trade the Sedins! Buy out Luongo! Fire Gillis! Sell the team! Cheer on Columbus!

Lets just move on. Forget this one, and chalk it up to what it was... one bad game.
AV should have been fired 3 years ago when they go embarrased by CHI for the second year in a row. Then again after the team failed to show up prepared to play the Kings.
You're calling for AV's head after 1 embarrassing loss? Thank Christ you're not the GM.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Brick Tamland wrote:Didn't see the game, but giving up eight is slightly embarrassing. Especially to a team that played less than 20hrs before, pretty disappointing effort.

After 2 periods, the hole didn't seem that deep and Luongo didn't absolutely gaffe on them so why switch. By the time the score got silly, there was nothing to be gained by switching up. Luongo's stats were taking a hit regardless.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Lancer wrote:

After 2 periods, the hole didn't seem that deep and Luongo didn't absolutely gaffe on them so why switch. By the time the score got silly, there was nothing to be gained by switching up. Luongo's stats were taking a hit regardless.
Ya, I just watched the lowlights. I see the last 2 goals came late. Like i said i don't think it changes things, just not a big fan of the giving up message it sends. Oh well.

The best part about blowouts is that you almost always do better the next game...lets hope better is a win.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

okcanuck wrote:
vic wrote:

You're calling for AV's head after 1 embarrassing loss? Thank Christ you're not the GM.
[/quote]

RE read my post (or at least go back and read it once)

His inability to have the team ready to face CHI three years ago, not seeing an exact repeat brewing after game 3 of the SCF of team meltdowns after experiencing it 3 years in a row against CHI only lucky to get out that year against the Hawks and then last year admitting after the loss to LA he wasn't prepared (thinking Daniel would be back and not making alt arrangements just in case)

It's not one game it's 3+ years of being out-coached only to be bailed out by the talent on the ice.

He's a good coach, has done great things for the team, but he's taken them as far as he can, time for a new voice to put them over the top.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Not trying to stir the pot, but who would you replace AV with? Lindy Ruff? How many cups has he won? He had some great teams and one of the best goalies in league history and he couldn't win one...

Some "new" face? Trying to keep doing what NYI/TB/Edm keep doing? Hiring unproven "talent" with very inconsistent results? AV wins. He is as good a coach as is currently available. Sure if Bowman wanted to get back into coaching, I'd love to see a coaching change... But not just for the sake of change.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:His inability to have the team ready to face CHI three years ago, not seeing an exact repeat brewing after game 3 of the SCF of team meltdowns after experiencing it 3 years in a row against CHI only lucky to get out that year against the Hawks and then last year admitting after the loss to LA he wasn't prepared (thinking Daniel would be back and not making alt arrangements just in case)

It's not one game it's 3+ years of being out-coached only to be bailed out by the talent on the ice.

He's a good coach, has done great things for the team, but he's taken them as far as he can, time for a new voice to put them over the top.

I think the Lou situation in Boston for game 6 was a point where Gillis needed to take a hard look at Vigneault's approach.

Lou had indeed shit the bed in previous big games against Chicago. In fact he'd been shelled big time in deciding game 6's and then gave up some bad goals in Chicago again in the opening round of 2011. His track record is actually pretty poor on the road against (some) teams that have hammered him in important games when playing them again in the same building. Vigneault should have put Schneider in for game 6 in Boston. If it is about the win and the Cup then the whole team, including Lou, understands that move. I do not disagree with his choice to start Luongo in game 7 against Boston as he had been lights out for the first 3 home games of that series and was brilliant in game 7 against Chicago at home in the opening round. That being said, Lou should have been pulled after the 2nd goal. Even if it was just a reprieve until the end of the period to give the team a kick in the ass.

So 2 years in a row where the team was killed by the Blackhawks, then some difficulty in the opening round.....although the rumors flew that it was due to the flu. Then trouble against Boston and unable to get the team to adjust and expose the holes in the Bruin's defensive setup. Then totally unprepared for LA and unable to get the team to adjust to pretty much the exact same gameplan that Boston employed the year before. I don't think the entire gameplan needed to change, but the team had to show a different look now and again if only to keep the opponent guessing.

Now we are still seeing a team that seems to have "motivational issues" for lack of a better word. Vigneault has indeed done some very good things for the Canucks, but I think he's taken them as far as he is going to. Team's are shutting the offense down to easily.....and I'm not just basing it off of this game. The Canucks killed themselves, Detroit is not a defensively frightening team. In fact I consider them to be a team that is starting to show some age and boasts very little ini the way of physical presence outside of Kronwall's occassional hit.....and the Canucks couldn't even get up for this. Kassian and Weise were the only ones even trying to play a physical game.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Not trying to stir the pot, but who would you replace AV with? Lindy Ruff? How many cups has he won? He had some great teams and one of the best goalies in league history and he couldn't win one...

Some "new" face? Trying to keep doing what NYI/TB/Edm keep doing? Hiring unproven "talent" with very inconsistent results? AV wins. He is as good a coach as is currently available. Sure if Bowman wanted to get back into coaching, I'd love to see a coaching change... But not just for the sake of change.
Well he got as close as AV did. I think Vigneault has one more President's trophy, but that's about it.

Ruff also lost that final due to a blown call. Vigneault lost his due to ineptitude.

The "great teams" he had in Buffalo were also very soft.....and outside of Briere he has never had anywhere near the individual talent that the Canucks have. The Sabers, under Ruff's helmsmanship, have always been a team that has won by committee. And even Briere has only had one great season. If you take away his 95 point breakout season in Buffalo he has scored at a 61.2 point per 82 game season pace. Hardly the stuff of legend. I don't think Ruff has ever enjoyed the defensive depth that Vigneault has either. Oh, and that great goalie, Hasek, well I think he left Buffalo because he saw how much ownership was willing to spend on players and wanted to win a Cup before he was done.....I don't think it was because he figured the coach wasn't up to the task of getting a team led by some all-star players and a deep defense motivated enough to win it all.....same reason Briere and Drury left. More money elsewhere.

I'm not advocating for a coaching change in Vancouver just because I think Vigneault is inept offensively, I think that the team needs a new guy at the helm just to refresh the group and push them to expand their games even more. Lately the team is either playing amazing hockey as a unit or the are completely scrambling and chasing the opponent while unable to muster anything offensively. There has been a total lack of middle ground this season where the team has played average hockey against an opponent who is playing average hockey. It has been lights out or a complete joke.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fluuuuuu.....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Not trying to stir the pot, but who would you replace AV with? Lindy Ruff? How many cups has he won? He had some great teams and one of the best goalies in league history and he couldn't win one...

Sounds familiar?? AV has one of the best goalies in the league plus 2 Art Ross Trophy winners and 1 Selke Trophy winner but still could not get it done.

I am not a big fan of Ruff but AV isn't any better.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Good f'ing keerist!! One game that the zebras blew wide open and its a Chinese fire drill on here. Ya it was not the Canucks best effort, shit happens. I don't often agree with what Doug Mclean has to say but he pretty much nailed it. Two piss poor calls on Kass & Weise and then the bench minor. Some lucky bounces for the Wings and none for the Canucks. Just one of those days.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Listercat wrote:Good f'ing keerist!! One game that the zebras blew wide open and its a Chinese fire drill on here. Ya it was not the Canucks best effort, shit happens. I don't often agree with what Doug Mclean has to say but he pretty much nailed it. Two piss poor calls on Kass & Weise and then the bench minor. Some lucky bounces for the Wings and none for the Canucks. Just one of those days.
we are special are we not?? :blush:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….