So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Lancer »

Luongo has been the better goalie so far this season, no doubt. Thing is, performance and potential have nothing to do with who gets traded out of Vancouver. For reasons that are still largely speculative, it seems the consensus between Schneider, Luongo and management is that Luongo is to go - for better or worse.

Unless some team's goaltending really screws up with no hope or playoffs in sight this season, I don't see anybody offering up the kind of package Gillis wants before the deadline. I don't think any GM is looking at this shortened season with any definite conclusions about their teams.

I wager it won't be until the draft, when GMs have a better take on their teams and know who they will buy out, when Luongo gets dealt. Why am I thinking Philly may be among the suitors?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:I know that Potatoe is a big fan of the Kadri types but I don't see a good fit with Canuck hockey and the chemistry of this group.
I'm not a big fan of Kadri or "Kadri types", but I have always maintained that we need a quality young player coming back in return for Luongo.

I would have been fine with kadri because he is a quality young player with a great pedigree, who looked close to becoming an NHL contributor.

The kid was a high first rounder, he tore it up in Jr. posted great stats in the AHL, and looked pretty good during his brief NHL stints.

I'm not sure why anyone would have been unhappy with that as a return, perhaps Canuck fans are just so anti-Leaf we create this alternate reality where all of their players and prospects suck.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Sounds like Chicago is seriously scouting the Canucks.
Jason Botchford wrote:The most interesting appearance in Nashville, aside from Dale Weise the goal scorer, was probably Pierre Gauthier.

That’s because he was also in Dallas for the Canucks game Thursday. And he was on a plane today for Detroit, where the Predators play tonight and the Canucks tomorrow.

The former Habs GM, is now in the Chicago Blackhawks front office, and is their director of player personnel.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02/23 ... g-canucks/
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I firmly believe that unless MG hits a home run he should not trade either goalie until the season is done. There is no controversy or dissension. I think both guys know it is a shortened season and they have a good chance with both on the team of going deep. Having said that it is also true that we are missing something in the top six, a sniper and perhaps anther R D'man.

If MG can't get a decent return for Luongo for whatever reasons then the off season is also the best time to send one of them packing. He will have the summer to address whatever needs remain after a Luongo deal.

Kadri straight up is not a home run. True he is having a good season thus far but he is not a piece we are missing right now. Maybe if Raymond walks in the summer then he becomes more interesting.

I also agree Tampa is a great fit, thought so for quite a while. They rode a hot goalie two years ago and came within an OT goal of going to the finals against the Canucks. They are loaded up front and have a decent defence. Luongo would be the missing piece for them and they would get another 5-6 good years from him.

The goalie market will open up in the summer when teams can clear roster and cap space. But the reverse also becomes true for us. We will be more desperate to move Luongo as we too will need to move cap space. With the way Ballard has played this season he may have earned himself a reprieve from a buy out. That leaves Booth.

Removing Luongo and Booth, and taking only a small cap hit back works better in the summer than right now.

Again, if MG gets offered a piece or two that makes us better and gives us a better chance to go deep this year then by all means he has to do it. But making a cap dumping move now because we will have cap concerns next year, just doesn't make sense.

Washington, Florida, Tampa and Philadelphia are at risk of missing the playoffs. The leaves look like they may make it this year. Both goalies have played well for them. I doubt they are desperate. I just know that if we trade Luongo for a song and a dance I'd be better able to absorb that in the off season, as do I think would his teammates. A business decision in the off season is better understood than one made while you are fighting to win a cup.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yes, our window of being an elite team is unlimited, who cares if we go into the playoffs with a 5.3 million dollar distraction riding the pine. It's not like the team needs any improvements up front. It's not like we should ice the best possible team in front of Schneider while we have a chance to win it all.

Luongo is never going to be worth more than he is right now. He is never going to play better than he is right now and he's only going to be a year older in the summer. If and when he shits the bed again in any playoff games he appears in, his value will decrease accordingly. There is a reason Gillis hasn't received a "home run" offer for Lou... he has a reputation for melting down in the postseason, and he's earned that reputation.

Luongo wants out. Schneider is a younger and technically superior goaltender who hasn't shown a penchant for bed-shitting. The Sedins have dropped off 5-on-5 every year for a few years in a row. If that continues then this might be our last real shot for a while.

We're not the Columbus goddamned Blue Jackets looking to trade Rick Nash. Let's go for it for fuck's sake.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:I firmly believe that unless MG hits a home run he should not trade either goalie until the season is done. There is no controversy or dissension. I think both guys know it is a shortened season and they have a good chance with both on the team of going deep. Having said that it is also true that we are missing something in the top six, a sniper and perhaps anther R D'man.

If MG can't get a decent return for Luongo for whatever reasons then the off season is also the best time to send one of them packing. He will have the summer to address whatever needs remain after a Luongo deal.

Kadri straight up is not a home run. True he is having a good season thus far but he is not a piece we are missing right now. Maybe if Raymond walks in the summer then he becomes more interesting.

I also agree Tampa is a great fit, thought so for quite a while. They rode a hot goalie two years ago and came within an OT goal of going to the finals against the Canucks. They are loaded up front and have a decent defence. Luongo would be the missing piece for them and they would get another 5-6 good years from him.

The goalie market will open up in the summer when teams can clear roster and cap space. But the reverse also becomes true for us. We will be more desperate to move Luongo as we too will need to move cap space. With the way Ballard has played this season he may have earned himself a reprieve from a buy out. That leaves Booth.

Removing Luongo and Booth, and taking only a small cap hit back works better in the summer than right now.

Again, if MG gets offered a piece or two that makes us better and gives us a better chance to go deep this year then by all means he has to do it. But making a cap dumping move now because we will have cap concerns next year, just doesn't make sense.

Washington, Florida, Tampa and Philadelphia are at risk of missing the playoffs. The leaves look like they may make it this year. Both goalies have played well for them. I doubt they are desperate. I just know that if we trade Luongo for a song and a dance I'd be better able to absorb that in the off season, as do I think would his teammates. A business decision in the off season is better understood than one made while you are fighting to win a cup.
Agree with your post here, HW. Not a fan of Kadri, a lot of folks seem to get all wrapped up on draft status but that means diddley squat in my books. Kadri the Arab is too much of a selfish weenie for my liking. Potatoe likes these types of flyweight junior hockey superstars, ie Josh Holden but I could care less for those types. Luongo straight up for Kadri??? Not a good deal for us, plus the leaves are doing fine and do not need Roberto Luongo. Stevie Y is gonna break soon. Florida is still there but Petrovic and Matthias is not a good deal for us, those are 3rd pairing potential and bottom 6 forward filler. Like ya said, we need to be getting top 6 forward or top 4 defense whether it's now or potential. We got too many bottom 6 forward types as of.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The_Pauser wrote:If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.
Oh look, a grown man who still watches professional wrestling is having trouble understanding reality. Shocking.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

If the team continues to up thier game. Can we win the cup as we are.with both goalies? Out of 10 what do you think our chances are.

Then we trade a goalie and get what is available to get, realistically. Then what are our chances, under same circumstances.

Unless we hit a major homerun on the trade..I see both situations between a 7/8 out of 10..

Thoughts?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.
Oh look, a grown man who still watches professional wrestling is having trouble understanding reality. Shocking.
I don't know, to me it came across as a rather harmless opinion. Does anyone else see any reasoning for Pauser getting insulted by Rumsfeld?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:If the team continues to up thier game. Can we win the cup as we are.with both goalies? Out of 10 what do you think our chances are.

Then we trade a goalie and get what is available to get, realistically. Then what are our chances, under same circumstances.

Unless we hit a major homerun on the trade..I see both situations between a 7/8 out of 10..

Thoughts?
I think it's best to keep both if the deal ain't there but due to the unpredictable nature of GM's I would not be surprised to turn on the TV one night to Breaking News of a Luongo trade. I got hopes that some GM of a team on the cusp of making the playoffs or not will crack, ie Stevie Y. Florida is too far gone to be interested.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So you figure, we will be a better team after the trade and able to go further as a result?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:So you figure, we will be a better team after the trade and able to go further as a result?
To be honest, I worry that this team will not be as good if a trade were to happen prior to the playoffs. The friendly competition between the two has done great things for this team this season. Lou is a different animal right now. I worry that once the friendly rivalry is gone, Lou on another team, I worry as to how this will affect Schneider. Having Lou at your back IMO gives Schneider a certain amount of comfort and it also pushes him to be better. I don't think there is a player out there in a Lou trade that would be more valuable than that to this team. We will see.

If the right deal does come along, Gillis will have no choice but to take it (no kidding) regardless of how great it is having both of them here. But just out of respect for the two, and the fact that it's not gonna be all that easy to trade Lou this summer and that Gillis will definitely start feeling some serious pressure to trade him due to next seasons cap situation and Lou and Schneids will pretty much be saying something along the lines of "enough already...get the deal done, Mikey. We've been patient enough, you owe us that". Do you not think that other GM's know this?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fine line for gm's on the playoff cusp with poor goaltending. I don't want Lou anywhere In the west..this gauthier following the nucks around? If it has teeth, it better be a 3 team...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:Fine line for gm's on the playoff cusp with poor goaltending. I don't want Lou anywhere In the west..this gauthier following the nucks around? If it has teeth, it better be a 3 team...
I don't see it, with Chicago. Don't they have like the best Goals Against right now? Plus, not so sure about any of their prospects other than Saad who they ain't trading. I did like McNeil at one point but he is really stinking lately in the WHL. I don't see Chicago wanting to fuck with the team by trading current roster players either. The rumors make no sense but maybe they have concerns about their goaltending, hard to believe though being that they are doing quite mightily keeping the pucks out.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So what would the head of player personel follow the canucks around for 3 road games?