So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby The_Pauser » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am

RoyalDude wrote:I know that Potatoe is a big fan of the Kadri types but I don't see a good fit with Canuck hockey and the chemistry of this group. Don't see any real tangible benefits in a Kadri. We got Raymond whom I think is more of a complete package. The Canucks don't need a Kadri type. Definitely would not do a Luongo for Kadri trade.

Someone needs to give Yzerman's head a shake. If there is a team that would be a perfect marriage in a Luongo trade and stand to greatly improve in cup run with Luongo is the Tampa Bay Lightning. They are in Florida and positioned to make hay now in the playoffs. Their G.A. ain't good.

I know Brett Connolly is down in the minors but he is racking up the points big time down there and making his way to the top of the scoring leaders list, 5th overall on the leader board. C'mon Stevie Y, pull the trigger. Connolly would look nice in our top 6. Kesler centering Connolly and Kassian? Big and Skilled and Young. The K(i)CK ass line!

Remember Gillis Lamenting - "Bigger, Younger, Faster"

Connolly is 6'-2" - 213 lbs
Kadri is 6'-0" - 188lbs


If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

The_Pauser wrote:
If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.


Schneider has had one shitty game..... the opener. His stat line is skewed by that game big time.

Scheider also hasn't melted down mutiple times in the playoffs.

Luongo has said its time to move along. I like Luongo and am not one of the people who have continually trashed his game here unlike some others. That said its best for everyone if he gets dealt .
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby BigTuna » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 pm

[quote="vic"][quote="BigTuna"]If Gillis could have gotten Kadri for Luongo, he should have taken it and run. It's funny seeing old posts of Canuck fans laughing at how horrible and useless Kadri is. Kid is playing well defensively, plays physical, is a great passer and is the real deal.[/quote]

Hockey in the EAST is much more wide open. WEST has bigger defenders and not as much room on the ice. Kadri's success in the East would not be the same out here.

To date, Luongo has been the Canucks MVP. Still having him on this roster is a good thing.[/quote]

There are plenty of smaller players that do well in the West. How do you know hevcouldn't do well? Kadri was supposed to be a terrible bust. He's proving everyone wrong.

And really, there's not enough demand for Luongo to pick and choose which package you can get so you can pick which player fits best with your team. Not going to happen.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:20 pm

BigTuna wrote:
And really, there's not enough demand for Luongo to pick and choose which package you can get so you can pick which player fits best with your team. Not going to happen.

Personally speaking of course, but any player the leafs figure they can do without...I'm not interested.


Also the market for Luongo has changed drastically since last spring and that proves how wrong you are...
By any standard the guy is a top ten goaltender in the world...maybe top 5, top 3 on a good day and any team in front of him is instant playoff calibre.

One Stanley cup to go with that olympic gold and the guy is fodder for hall of fame arguments over the fishing hole...

It's crazy to take garbage or spare parts or a bag of tape back for him.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Lancer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Luongo has been the better goalie so far this season, no doubt. Thing is, performance and potential have nothing to do with who gets traded out of Vancouver. For reasons that are still largely speculative, it seems the consensus between Schneider, Luongo and management is that Luongo is to go - for better or worse.

Unless some team's goaltending really screws up with no hope or playoffs in sight this season, I don't see anybody offering up the kind of package Gillis wants before the deadline. I don't think any GM is looking at this shortened season with any definite conclusions about their teams.

I wager it won't be until the draft, when GMs have a better take on their teams and know who they will buy out, when Luongo gets dealt. Why am I thinking Philly may be among the suitors?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Potatoe1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I know that Potatoe is a big fan of the Kadri types but I don't see a good fit with Canuck hockey and the chemistry of this group.


I'm not a big fan of Kadri or "Kadri types", but I have always maintained that we need a quality young player coming back in return for Luongo.

I would have been fine with kadri because he is a quality young player with a great pedigree, who looked close to becoming an NHL contributor.

The kid was a high first rounder, he tore it up in Jr. posted great stats in the AHL, and looked pretty good during his brief NHL stints.

I'm not sure why anyone would have been unhappy with that as a return, perhaps Canuck fans are just so anti-Leaf we create this alternate reality where all of their players and prospects suck.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Rede » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Sounds like Chicago is seriously scouting the Canucks.

Jason Botchford wrote:The most interesting appearance in Nashville, aside from Dale Weise the goal scorer, was probably Pierre Gauthier.

That’s because he was also in Dallas for the Canucks game Thursday. And he was on a plane today for Detroit, where the Predators play tonight and the Canucks tomorrow.

The former Habs GM, is now in the Chicago Blackhawks front office, and is their director of player personnel.


http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02/23 ... g-canucks/
User avatar
Rede
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

I firmly believe that unless MG hits a home run he should not trade either goalie until the season is done. There is no controversy or dissension. I think both guys know it is a shortened season and they have a good chance with both on the team of going deep. Having said that it is also true that we are missing something in the top six, a sniper and perhaps anther R D'man.

If MG can't get a decent return for Luongo for whatever reasons then the off season is also the best time to send one of them packing. He will have the summer to address whatever needs remain after a Luongo deal.

Kadri straight up is not a home run. True he is having a good season thus far but he is not a piece we are missing right now. Maybe if Raymond walks in the summer then he becomes more interesting.

I also agree Tampa is a great fit, thought so for quite a while. They rode a hot goalie two years ago and came within an OT goal of going to the finals against the Canucks. They are loaded up front and have a decent defence. Luongo would be the missing piece for them and they would get another 5-6 good years from him.

The goalie market will open up in the summer when teams can clear roster and cap space. But the reverse also becomes true for us. We will be more desperate to move Luongo as we too will need to move cap space. With the way Ballard has played this season he may have earned himself a reprieve from a buy out. That leaves Booth.

Removing Luongo and Booth, and taking only a small cap hit back works better in the summer than right now.

Again, if MG gets offered a piece or two that makes us better and gives us a better chance to go deep this year then by all means he has to do it. But making a cap dumping move now because we will have cap concerns next year, just doesn't make sense.

Washington, Florida, Tampa and Philadelphia are at risk of missing the playoffs. The Leafs look like they may make it this year. Both goalies have played well for them. I doubt they are desperate. I just know that if we trade Luongo for a song and a dance I'd be better able to absorb that in the off season, as do I think would his teammates. A business decision in the off season is better understood than one made while you are fighting to win a cup.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Rumsfeld » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes, our window of being an elite team is unlimited, who cares if we go into the playoffs with a 5.3 million dollar distraction riding the pine. It's not like the team needs any improvements up front. It's not like we should ice the best possible team in front of Schneider while we have a chance to win it all.

Luongo is never going to be worth more than he is right now. He is never going to play better than he is right now and he's only going to be a year older in the summer. If and when he shits the bed again in any playoff games he appears in, his value will decrease accordingly. There is a reason Gillis hasn't received a "home run" offer for Lou... he has a reputation for melting down in the postseason, and he's earned that reputation.

Luongo wants out. Schneider is a younger and technically superior goaltender who hasn't shown a penchant for bed-shitting. The Sedins have dropped off 5-on-5 every year for a few years in a row. If that continues then this might be our last real shot for a while.

We're not the Columbus goddamned Blue Jackets looking to trade Rick Nash. Let's go for it for fuck's sake.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I firmly believe that unless MG hits a home run he should not trade either goalie until the season is done. There is no controversy or dissension. I think both guys know it is a shortened season and they have a good chance with both on the team of going deep. Having said that it is also true that we are missing something in the top six, a sniper and perhaps anther R D'man.

If MG can't get a decent return for Luongo for whatever reasons then the off season is also the best time to send one of them packing. He will have the summer to address whatever needs remain after a Luongo deal.

Kadri straight up is not a home run. True he is having a good season thus far but he is not a piece we are missing right now. Maybe if Raymond walks in the summer then he becomes more interesting.

I also agree Tampa is a great fit, thought so for quite a while. They rode a hot goalie two years ago and came within an OT goal of going to the finals against the Canucks. They are loaded up front and have a decent defence. Luongo would be the missing piece for them and they would get another 5-6 good years from him.

The goalie market will open up in the summer when teams can clear roster and cap space. But the reverse also becomes true for us. We will be more desperate to move Luongo as we too will need to move cap space. With the way Ballard has played this season he may have earned himself a reprieve from a buy out. That leaves Booth.

Removing Luongo and Booth, and taking only a small cap hit back works better in the summer than right now.

Again, if MG gets offered a piece or two that makes us better and gives us a better chance to go deep this year then by all means he has to do it. But making a cap dumping move now because we will have cap concerns next year, just doesn't make sense.

Washington, Florida, Tampa and Philadelphia are at risk of missing the playoffs. The Leafs look like they may make it this year. Both goalies have played well for them. I doubt they are desperate. I just know that if we trade Luongo for a song and a dance I'd be better able to absorb that in the off season, as do I think would his teammates. A business decision in the off season is better understood than one made while you are fighting to win a cup.


Agree with your post here, HW. Not a fan of Kadri, a lot of folks seem to get all wrapped up on draft status but that means diddley squat in my books. Kadri the Arab is too much of a selfish weenie for my liking. Potatoe likes these types of flyweight junior hockey superstars, ie Josh Holden but I could care less for those types. Luongo straight up for Kadri??? Not a good deal for us, plus the Leafs are doing fine and do not need Roberto Luongo. Stevie Y is gonna break soon. Florida is still there but Petrovic and Matthias is not a good deal for us, those are 3rd pairing potential and bottom 6 forward filler. Like ya said, we need to be getting top 6 forward or top 4 defense whether it's now or potential. We got too many bottom 6 forward types as of.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Rumsfeld » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 pm

The_Pauser wrote:If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.


Oh look, a grown man who still watches professional wrestling is having trouble understanding reality. Shocking.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby rats19 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm

If the team continues to up thier game. Can we win the cup as we are.with both goalies? Out of 10 what do you think our chances are.

Then we trade a goalie and get what is available to get, realistically. Then what are our chances, under same circumstances.

Unless we hit a major homerun on the trade..I see both situations between a 7/8 out of 10..

Thoughts?
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.


Oh look, a grown man who still watches professional wrestling is having trouble understanding reality. Shocking.


I don't know, to me it came across as a rather harmless opinion. Does anyone else see any reasoning for Pauser getting insulted by Rumsfeld?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 pm

rats19 wrote:If the team continues to up thier game. Can we win the cup as we are.with both goalies? Out of 10 what do you think our chances are.

Then we trade a goalie and get what is available to get, realistically. Then what are our chances, under same circumstances.

Unless we hit a major homerun on the trade..I see both situations between a 7/8 out of 10..

Thoughts?


I think it's best to keep both if the deal ain't there but due to the unpredictable nature of GM's I would not be surprised to turn on the TV one night to Breaking News of a Luongo trade. I got hopes that some GM of a team on the cusp of making the playoffs or not will crack, ie Stevie Y. Florida is too far gone to be interested.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby rats19 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:10 pm

So you figure, we will be a better team after the trade and able to go further as a result?
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Lloyd Braun, rats19 and 2 guests