So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Mëds wrote:After watching Vigneault's handling of the line combinations tonight it is pretty clear that there is not room on this team for all the forwards we have. It's not even a matter of finances either. Booth and Kassian can both play on the 4th line, but that is a gross waste of cap space in Booth and Kassian won't develop into the player Vancouver needs him to be down the road. Higgins fits in nicely anywhere in the middle 6, as do Raymond and Hansen. But none of them are going to be properly utilized on the 4th line.

Based on what we see with Booth back, I think the team needs to look at moving one of Booth or Higgins with Luongo. It makes no sense to be wasting up that kind of money on a fourth line player. I like the speed that Booth brings, and prefer him to Higgins most games. The team is just not as balanced in the forward department as it used to be it seems.....

Isn't that why players like the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, etc took hometown discounts, so they could pay for depth on the 3rd and 4th lines?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:We need a shut down 3rd line centre who makes $4million per. NOT. This team needs a top notch, top 6 forward to play with Kesler and we need a right handed shot top 4 defenseman. Booth, Kassian and Higgins ain't gonna cut it as top 6 forwards. I don't like separating Burrows from the Sedins. All three are at their best when they are a line. We need better offensive support from our defense, 5 on 5.
Who is saying we need a $4 million 3rd line guy? Again, I said Brooks Laich-ish, not actually him, as he's too expensive.

I do agree another top 6 guy who could also play top 3 or 4 would be what I would target - if that means you have to move a few guys then do it. There's no real reason to have a Booth, Higgins or Raymond on the 4th line as they won't get much playing time anyway. Would rather use a couple of those guys and another asset to upgrade to a better top 6 guy.

I don't agree we need a dman though, the D has been absolutely fine other than last night.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Mëds wrote:After watching Vigneault's handling of the line combinations tonight it is pretty clear that there is not room on this team for all the forwards we have. It's not even a matter of finances either. Booth and Kassian can both play on the 4th line, but that is a gross waste of cap space in Booth and Kassian won't develop into the player Vancouver needs him to be down the road. Higgins fits in nicely anywhere in the middle 6, as do Raymond and Hansen. But none of them are going to be properly utilized on the 4th line.

Based on what we see with Booth back, I think the team needs to look at moving one of Booth or Higgins with Luongo. It makes no sense to be wasting up that kind of money on a fourth line player. I like the speed that Booth brings, and prefer him to Higgins most games. The team is just not as balanced in the forward department as it used to be it seems.....

Isn't that why players like the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, etc took hometown discounts, so they could pay for depth on the 3rd and 4th lines?
Yes, it is. But that was in a different cap world than we are about to go into in September.

I also think that the injury to Malhotra really put a kink in the roster. I think the fans would much prefer watching the Canucks rip things up with 3 scoring lines, Vigneault prefers to have his 3rd line shutdown unit, right now the only center we have who is capable of shutting down opposing teams top forwards is Kesler, but he's playing on the 2nd line and is expected to put up points and contribute in a more offensive role.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I wouldn't mind a 4 million dollar third line guy, if that guy is a legit 2nd line center we use on the third line. Think Jordan Staal on the Pens.

Packaging Raymond with Luongo while he's hot would be a good idea right now.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I wouldn't mind a 4 million dollar third line guy, if that guy is a legit 2nd line center we use on the third line. Think Jordan Staal on the Pens.

I've had the same thought about Raymond - he's a UFA this offseason so you either try to sign him before the deadline or you look to trade him. A guy like Raymond could get you some good asses at the deadline that you could either hold or flip for another asset to improve the team.

I don't mind either way, Raymond is a solid two way guy but if the team gets better I'm all for it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Holy McChristian she-ite Muslim, ya don't give up a Luongo and a throw in a Raymond, one of our best players right now for bottom 6 presence. Holy c(r)ow! Totally brilliant. When you are trading Luongo, you best be trying for Top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman either in the way of a player who can play now or in the way of potential in those areas through a high draft pick or a top prospect with those kinds of potentials.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I wouldn't mind a 4 million dollar third line guy, if that guy is a legit 2nd line center we use on the third line. Think Jordan Staal on the Pens.

RoyalDude wrote: Holy McChristian she-ite Muslim, ya don't give up a Luongo and a throw in a Raymond, one of our best players right now for bottom 6 presence. Holy c(r)ow! Totally brilliant. When you are trading Luongo, you best be trying for Top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman either in the way of a player who can play now or in the way of potential in those areas through a high draft pick or a top prospect with those kinds of potentials.
:roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I wouldn't mind a 4 million dollar third line guy, if that guy is a legit 2nd line center we use on the third line. Think Jordan Staal on the Pens.

RoyalDude wrote: Holy McChristian she-ite Muslim, ya don't give up a Luongo and a throw in a Raymond, one of our best players right now for bottom 6 presence. Holy c(r)ow! Totally brilliant. When you are trading Luongo, you best be trying for Top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman either in the way of a player who can play now or in the way of potential in those areas through a high draft pick or a top prospect with those kinds of potentials.
:roll:
Looks like reading comprehension still isn't his strong suit.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

If Gillis could have gotten Kadri for Luongo, he should have taken it and run. It's funny seeing old posts of Canuck fans laughing at how horrible and useless Kadri is. Kid is playing well defensively, plays physical, is a great passer and is the real deal.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

BigTuna wrote:If Gillis could have gotten Kadri for Luongo, he should have taken it and run. It's funny seeing old posts of Canuck fans laughing at how horrible and useless Kadri is. Kid is playing well defensively, plays physical, is a great passer and is the real deal.
Hockey in the EAST is much more wide open. WEST has bigger defenders and not as much room on the ice. Kadri's success in the East would not be the same out here.

To date, Luongo has been the Canucks MVP. Still having him on this roster is a good thing.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I know that Potatoe is a big fan of the Kadri types but I don't see a good fit with Canuck hockey and the chemistry of this group. Don't see any real tangible benefits in a Kadri. We got Raymond whom I think is more of a complete package. The Canucks don't need a Kadri type. Definitely would not do a Luongo for Kadri trade.

Someone needs to give Yzerman's head a shake. If there is a team that would be a perfect marriage in a Luongo trade and stand to greatly improve in cup run with Luongo is the Tampa Bay Lightning. They are in Florida and positioned to make hay now in the playoffs. Their G.A. ain't good.

I know Brett Connolly is down in the minors but he is racking up the points big time down there and making his way to the top of the scoring leaders list, 5th overall on the leader board. C'mon Stevie Y, pull the trigger. Connolly would look nice in our top 6. Kesler centering Connolly and Kassian? Big and Skilled and Young. The K(i)CK ass line!

Remember Gillis Lamenting - "Bigger, Younger, Faster"

Connolly is 6'-2" - 213 lbs
Kadri is 6'-0" - 188lbs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

RoyalDude wrote:I know that Potatoe is a big fan of the Kadri types but I don't see a good fit with Canuck hockey and the chemistry of this group. Don't see any real tangible benefits in a Kadri. We got Raymond whom I think is more of a complete package. The Canucks don't need a Kadri type. Definitely would not do a Luongo for Kadri trade.

Someone needs to give Yzerman's head a shake. If there is a team that would be a perfect marriage in a Luongo trade and stand to greatly improve in cup run with Luongo is the Tampa Bay Lightning. They are in Florida and positioned to make hay now in the playoffs. Their G.A. ain't good.

I know Brett Connolly is down in the minors but he is racking up the points big time down there and making his way to the top of the scoring leaders list, 5th overall on the leader board. C'mon Stevie Y, pull the trigger. Connolly would look nice in our top 6. Kesler centering Connolly and Kassian? Big and Skilled and Young. The K(i)CK ass line!

Remember Gillis Lamenting - "Bigger, Younger, Faster"

Connolly is 6'-2" - 213 lbs
Kadri is 6'-0" - 188lbs
If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The_Pauser wrote:
If there's any way that Luongo will stay in Vancouver, I would much rather trade Cory Schneider at the draft and keep Luongo. I really haven't been impressed by Schneider at all this year.
Schneider has had one shitty game..... the opener. His stat line is skewed by that game big time.

Scheider also hasn't melted down mutiple times in the playoffs.

Luongo has said its time to move along. I like Luongo and am not one of the people who have continually trashed his game here unlike some others. That said its best for everyone if he gets dealt .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="vic"][quote="BigTuna"]If Gillis could have gotten Kadri for Luongo, he should have taken it and run. It's funny seeing old posts of Canuck fans laughing at how horrible and useless Kadri is. Kid is playing well defensively, plays physical, is a great passer and is the real deal.[/quote]

Hockey in the EAST is much more wide open. WEST has bigger defenders and not as much room on the ice. Kadri's success in the East would not be the same out here.

To date, Luongo has been the Canucks MVP. Still having him on this roster is a good thing.[/quote]

There are plenty of smaller players that do well in the West. How do you know hevcouldn't do well? Kadri was supposed to be a terrible bust. He's proving everyone wrong.

And really, there's not enough demand for Luongo to pick and choose which package you can get so you can pick which player fits best with your team. Not going to happen.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

BigTuna wrote:
And really, there's not enough demand for Luongo to pick and choose which package you can get so you can pick which player fits best with your team. Not going to happen.
Personally speaking of course, but any player the leaves figure they can do without...I'm not interested.

Also the market for Luongo has changed drastically since last spring and that proves how wrong you are...
By any standard the guy is a top ten goaltender in the world...maybe top 5, top 3 on a good day and any team in front of him is instant playoff calibre.

One Stanley cup to go with that olympic gold and the guy is fodder for hall of fame arguments over the fishing hole...

It's crazy to take garbage or spare parts or a bag of tape back for him.