Van at Chicago - 5:30 PT on SNET-P and 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Van at Chicago - 5:30 PT on SNET-P and 1040

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote:One more thing…

Higgins’ shoot out move was nasty. :thumbs:
... yup really took advantage of Emery's bum hip eh wot? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ebony ain't hip?

Tragic.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:.

THE TURNING POINT IN A MORAL VICTORY:

ImageImage

Hey, we salvaged a point outta this one....

So much for the hat trick eh Mr Hossa? :P

Love the way Hansen just continued to go about his business afterwards.

You can't intimidate the Honey Badger amirite? :mex:
Hansen is exactly the type of foot soldiers that the Canucks need. Although he might never score more than 20 goals in a season, I would still consider him as a 'core' player.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

As per TSN, Hansen gets one game
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Put a pink tutu on Hossa.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:I didn't catch the last half of the game but didn 't the Sedins have a hand in every single goal (and two points apiece)?

Seems a bit more realistic to hope the other three lines can chip in a goal or two every night than it does to hope the Sedins find a way to produce four instead of three..
They did, yes, but I never got the impression at all that they were a threat to score.....especially on the PP. More and more over the last season and a half I have felt that the Sedins are being shutdown more easily and held to the permiter without much in the way of real scoring chances being generated by their sneaky plays.

Last night Daniel scored a goal that had no business going in. He threw it on net with a weak backhand from a poor angle. Emery just screwed it up and it squeaked through. Bieksa's goal was a broken play that had nothing to do with the Sedin's offensive prowess. They just passed the puck out of the scrum to the far point to avoid the puck being cleared. Teams don't chase them around the zone anymore, they just zone up, pressure on the wall, and switch off. They will still score at a pace that is close to a point per game, but top teams are ready for them. They are good players, smart and savvy, they can adjust and be dangerous.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Geez, if Hansen gets a suspension for that he may as well have Bertuzzi'd Hossa right down to the ice on the fall, and hopefully knock that Blackhwak pussy out for the season. In for a penny, in for a pound, I say... :evil:

What about all the more vicious and intentional hits we've seen already this season which didn't even get a penalty? The only difference is that Eggshell-Head Hossa got hurt (however embellished or not).

Whatever, no doubt the league's golden children are appeased. The league is a joke.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

1 game,,, pfffft..

What a wishy washy league this is.

It's either intent to injure and 3+ games or it's a random accident on a fragile player in which case it should be nothing.

But in the "we don't know wtf we are doing" world of the NHL it's 1 game.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hey Shanahan, the cave floor called. It wants its batshit back.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I agree with the suspension.

They are trying to send a message to players to be more aware and responsible for their actions on the ice. There is no intent to injure, Hansen has no priors, but he did clobber Hossa.....even if it was an accident. 1 game is a fair suspension.

I still think the league is badly inconsistent in their disciplinary decisions, but this should be the standard for similar plays. No intent, accidental contact causing injury, one game for not paying attention. No different than if you rear-end someone in your car who suddenly stopped in front of you, you get charged, fined, or dinged on insurance premiums, even though you didn't mean to hurt anyone.....
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:I agree with the suspension.

No different than if you rear-end someone in your car who suddenly stopped in front of you, you get charged, fined, or dinged on insurance premiums, even though you didn't mean to hurt anyone.....
Yes, because driving your car on a public road is totally comparable to pro athletes who consent to play a violent, full-contact sport.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

They are trying to send a message to players to be more aware and responsible for their actions on the ice. There is no intent to injure, Hansen has no priors, but he did clobber Hossa.....even if it was an accident. 1 game is a fair suspension.
So by that logic they should suspend every player who gets a charging penalty. Because a reckless bodycheck (intent) should be punished worse than a honest hockey play with an undesirable result (accident).
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:Watch the NHL throw the book at Hansen because well he's a Canuck anyway and it will make the league look like its taking care of business...
Its like they discovered hoss meat in the beef...

Its the eastern mammyrammer bias yet again...what was the suspension and fine for Weber last year? $12.95 and time off a practice to get a hotdog ???

I tells ya it's because Vancouver is some little village clear on the other side of the Rockies that no one is even sure if they get NHL centre ice or have TVs :evil:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:

No different than if you rear-end someone in your car who suddenly stopped in front of you, you get charged, fined, or dinged on insurance premiums, even though you didn't mean to hurt anyone.....
Yes, because driving your car on a public road is totally comparable to pro athletes who consent to play a violent, full-contact sport.
Yeah....Ok....not a great example......piss poor actually.

But in keeping with the "direction" that the NHL is taking in regards to headshots if they were to remain consistent in handing down rulings in situations like this, well then it's a fair punishment.

That being said, the same disciplinary committee that just suspended Hansen is the same crew that gave Keith a meager 5 games for a flying elbow at the reigning Art Ross trophy winner. Then they give Torres 25 games for something that had less intent.....
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Shifting gears here...

I think Chicago is peaking at the wrong time. Everyone will gun for them soon enough. I hope Vancouver hits it's stride just in time for the playoffs and that they're underestimated - maybe even underdogs.