Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Post by The_Pauser »

Strangelove wrote:Nah, I like mine better: 3 two-way scoring lines! :thumbs:

Matthias is a big strong 2-way player who hits hard and can play centre, good faceoff man.

Weiss is also good in the dot.

Schroeder is inexperienced and struggles in the faceoff department thus far.

Don't wanna go with a small rookie centre in the playoffs unless forced to by injuries.
Eh fair enough. I guess I'm just more comfortable with Schroeder than most people.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

The_Pauser wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: The Canucks had the best offence in the game in 2011 and it wasn't close. You're taking 1 series and projecting it across the whole season - one series where they were bullied into submission and the refs did not a fucking thing about it. Yes I'm still bitter. Anyway - the offence is good but i agree that one more big bodied forward would be great. He doesn't have to actually play center but I would love to see a guy who can take face offs as that's now a deficiency on the team. Hank just isn't good enough on the left side draw to take crucial defensive zone draws.

I would love a Brooks Laich type center/winger who can take draws - he is too expensive in cap hit unless significant dollars go the other way, but somebody like that would be great.
1 series? Did you even watch the 2011 playoffs? Let me give you the breakdown:

Chicago series we averaged 2.29GF/game (2.18GF/60)
Nashville series we averaged 2.33GF/game (2.07GF/60)
San Jose series we averaged 4GF/game (3.65GF/60)
Boston series we averaged 1.14GF/game (1.14GF/60).

I don't expect San Jose series like numbers, but let's compare to the LA Kings of last year, and the Boston Bruins of 2011:

Kings
Vancouver series they averaged 2.4GF/game
St. Louis series they averaged 3.75GF/game
Phoenix series they averaged 2.80GF/game
New Jersey series they averaged 2.67GF/game

Bruins
Montreal series they averaged 2.43GF/game
Philadelphia series they averaged 5GF/game
Tampa series they averaged 3GF/game
Vancouver series they averaged 3.29GF/game

In both of these teams cases, neither of them had an offensive series that was worse than our series vs. Boston, Chicago or Nashville. In addition, our series vs. LA was almost on par with the Boston series as we averaged 1.20GF/game. So yes, our offense is a definite area of concern.
Why not compare the Nucks to the cup champions every year and see how they do? Of course they aren't going to be as good - they didn't win the damn cup! Did I watch the playoffs? Yep I did, and there was no concern about offence until Boston. I also love how you put in the smaller GF/60 for the Nucks and then neglected the same for the teams you are comparing them to.

Last year the Nucks ran into the hottest team in cup history so i will probably give them a mulligan on that one. Do they need another big body scorer? I've already said they do. I'm not sure Schroeder is the guy to bring tht offence, as much as I like his game.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

The_Pauser wrote:
If we're getting back a guy who's going to score 15g-20a THIS season I'd be willing to do it. But if those numbers are what he'd get over an 82 game season then I'm not interested at all. Schroeder deserves to be here.
Deserve has nothing to do with it.

If you can get a big 2-way center that can post 15 goals and 35 points over 82 games (from the 3rd line) then you do it.

Schroeder has played well but he's a small rookie who's only put up 4 points in his 12 games. His defensive game is fine (for a small rookie) but he is not a guy you want playing against the better lines in this conference.

35 points over 82 from the 3rd line is very good production and production that Schroeder will struggle to match this year, so really we are talking about a straight upgrade in both size and defensive ability.

Further to that Schroeder becomes a depth guy which would be huge given this teams track record when it comes to injuries.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All fine and dandy Potatoe. For instance Brooks Laich sounds like what u r looking for, scoring 16 goals in each of his last two seasons collecting around 40-ish points in those two seasons, he stands 6'-2" 190 lbs but costs $4,000,000 per year with a 4.5 million cap hit on a contract that carries him to the end of the 2016-17 season. All I can say to your wants and desires regarding this type of player - good luck

HENRIK Sedin - 6'-2" 195 lbs
Ryan Kesler - 6'-2" 200 lbs
Maxim Lapierre - 6'-2" 210lbs

Size is not an issue with our centres. Plus those 3 above are considered very responsible defensively but hey if you want to fill your boots with the Pyatts, Berniers, Torres of the world like Blobbyhave at er.

Oh and blobby, nice stretching of those numbers in a negative direction regarding the sizes of Raymond etc.

You guys baffle me, we have a real nice speed/skill line that is no stranger to danger yet y'all just want shut er down. Bust that line up just watch how slow this team becomes.

As for Raymond I recall that he was one of our best players in that series against the Blackhawks where the Hawks went on to win the cup. Raymond and Schroeder are not afraid if going to the dirty areas. They bring a ton of energy, that line, but if you prefer the lifeless, passionless Kassians of the world have at er
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:All fine and dandy Potatoe. For instance Brooks Laich sounds like what u r looking for, scoring 16 goals in each of his last two seasons collecting around 40-ish points in those two seasons, he stands 6'-2" 190 lbs but costs $4,000,000 per year with a 4.5 million cap hit on a contract that carries him to the end of the 2016-17 season. All I can say to your wants and desires regarding this type of player - good luck

HENRIK Sedin - 6'-2" 195 lbs
Ryan Kesler - 6'-2" 200 lbs
Maxim Lapierre - 6'-2" 210lbs

Size is not an issue with our centres. Plus those 3 above are considered very responsible defensively but hey if you want to fill your boots with the Pyatts, Berniers, Torres of the world like Blobbyhave at er.

Oh and blobby, nice stretching of those numbers in a negative direction regarding the sizes of Raymond etc.

You guys baffle me, we have a real nice speed/skill line that is no stranger to danger yet y'all just want shut er down. Bust that line up just watch how slow this team becomes.

As for Raymond I recall that he was one of our best players in that series against the Blackhawks where the Hawks went on to win the cup. Raymond and Schroeder are not afraid if going to the dirty areas. They bring a ton of energy, that line, but if you prefer the lifeless, passionless Kassians of the world have at er
Geez RD, weren't you the one telling me to hold off on anointing Schroeder - now you think he's the best thing since sliced bread? A lot changes in a week I guess.

I like Schroeder and would be happy with him if we went into the playoffs that way, but I'd rather have Laich or his type - again Laich is too expensive but I can't think of another similar guy off the top of my head. If you can't get him no worries, get a depth guy or two and you're good to go.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

At the BOG meetings today, Bettman outlined a cap projection of $73 million for next season.......if the Canadian dollar remains where it is.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That is about what we will need to re-sign Tanev!

Let's hope the dollar doesn't tank too much. Hard to fathom with the Rogers deal that there isn't more money available. Time to get rid of the loss leader teams. A few teams gonna find it tough again next year. We on the other hand should be looking to add at least one more ELC so we should be good to go.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

We also need to re-sign Richardson, who is making about $1.1 right now. His solid play deserves a raise...something similar to what Hansen is making now...around 2-2.5.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It might be a tall order due to age and contract but maybe trading Burrows is an option to clear room in the cap. He will 34 next year. Him or Higgins who will be 32. Resign the younger guys like Hansen, Richardson, Matthias. Virtanen could be making a case for himself to stay up with the club, you also have Jensen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:It might be a tall order due to age and contract but maybe trading Burrows is an option to clear room in the cap. He will 34 next year. Him or Higgins who will be 32. Resign the younger guys like Hansen, Richardson, Matthias. Virtanen could be making a case for himself to stay up with the club, you also have Jensen.
Don't have to worry about Hansen, Dude. He's signed until 2018.

Sestito will be let go. Dorsett will likely be re-signed. I think you decide which one you want more, Matthias or Richardson, and re-up only one of them. Horvat moves up the depth chart, and one of Jensen/Virtanen/Shinkaruk gets a shot.

Wouldn't be opposed to trading Burrows, especially if it gave us some flexibility to go after another d-man. Bieksa and Hamhuis are both UFA's after next season, and we have next to nothing in the pipe.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sorry I meant Dorsett.

Matthias, Richardson and Dorsett should be resigned, or at least 2 of the three. I would sign Matthias and Dorsett if I could only resign 2.

We will need to get the top 6 younger outside of the Sedin line and Bonino.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Topper wrote:At the BOG meetings today, Bettman outlined a cap projection of $73 million for next season.......if the Canadian dollar remains where it is.
Chicago is in a world of hurt. Kane and Toews eat more than $8mil more cap space next year. Could be some selling off of assets from Chicago. :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:At the BOG meetings today, Bettman outlined a cap projection of $73 million for next season.......if the Canadian dollar remains where it is.
$73M we can re-sign everyone no problem, I'd bring up Corrado next season though..

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.800m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Linden Vey ($0.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($4.000m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Ryan Stanton ($1.5m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.500m)
Frank Corrado ($0.633m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $73,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,394,167; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,605,833

--

Next season however I'd want to upgrade our 2nd line somehow, and always keep an eye out for an potential upgrade for our defense.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

With next to nobody in our prospect pool looking to be NHL ready on our blueline in the next couple of years, as far as our defense goes for next year here's my thought.....

Weber should be cut loose.

Corrado should be given a hard look at some point this year. If he's not ready then send him back until he is.

I would then take a serious run at Johnny Boychuk if he's available (Benning connection). He's a tough customer. 31 years old, so not exactly getting younger, but he's solid defensively, can hit, block shots, and he has an absolute cannon. Plus he's a right-handed shot. Give him a 2 or 3 year deal, and then when that's expiring, coupled with other contracts that will be coming off the books during that time, we see what we have in the younger players and continue to move forward.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Sbisa-Boychuk
Stanton
Corrado (in the A)

That would be quite respectable.

As for our forward crew, one of Higgins or Burrows will be dealt. Probably Higgins as he's cheaper and has an easier NTC to work with.

I also think that one of Richardson or Vey are going to be gone.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah sorry Mëds but Boychuck is going to get a Niskanen deal .

Hey dude how is that fast five hundred pound line making out ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”