CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

surreal78

Re: CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Post by surreal78 »

RoyalDude wrote:All I hope for is that Garrison is not a colossal failure like fellow ex-panthers David 'zero brain wave activity' Booth and Keith 'the midget' Balltard
There is a certain irony here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

surreal78 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:All I hope for is that Garrison is not a colossal failure like fellow ex-panthers David 'zero brain wave activity' Booth and Keith 'the midget' Balltard
There is a certain irony here.

Stop it! You're fucking killing me here :lol: :lol: :lol: You are comedy fucking central.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rick Bowness said this morning on the TEAM that Garrison is far more comfortable on the left side and that's where he will play. He said they will try and partner him up with Edler or Bieksa.

LH RH

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Edler
Ballard

Alberts

One of these things is not like the other......something has to give.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: One of these things is not like the other......something has to give.
Indeed... Edler is up for UFA next summer, is he not?

Luongo, Edler.... for Gudbranson (RH-D), Huberdeau, 2nd.

Make'r Happen 8-)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Hansen-Huberdeau-Raymond
Lappy-Manny-Kassian

Ham-Juice
Garrison-Gudbranson
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

I think we know Bowness enough by now to not write defense pairings in stone.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RespectYourEdlers wrote:I think we know Bowness enough by now to not write defense pairings
Maybe you're right. But I think management should start by not trying to hire guys to play their opposite-side. See: Ballard, Keith.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:One of these things is not like the other......something has to give.
Well from what we know, Edler can play the right side but is not as comfortable.

We also know that Garrison played the left side of a very good pairing last year with a highly skilled left-shooting partner on the right side who is not stellar in his own zone. He excelled in a shutdown role the year before, again on the left side.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Canucks still try to make Garrison and Edler work but with Garrison in a similar role to what he played with Campbell and Edler freed up somewhat to play a more offensive game from his off side.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rick Bowness said this morning on the TEAM that Garrison is far more comfortable on the left side and that's where he will play. He said they will try and partner him up with Edler or Bieksa.
Why not Ballard??

:rofl:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi
I did a search on some highlights with him. He does have a bomb from the point and I noticed Campbell fed him alot for 1 timers. Hopefully one of Hammer, Bieska or Edler can feed him the puck in a similar fashion.
Yes it's looking like Garrison was extremely lucky to play with Campbell especially on a contract year.
Cornuck
Nice one-timers from a few different angles - now we just have to raise his shot percentage.
Big time, as JG is looking like Jiri Slegr v2.
hw
If he replaces Salo's shot from the point we are winners right there. If he is more willing to use his shot and is more accurate than Salo we are winners there. One of the reasons Ehrhoff was so effective was his willingness to shoot and although not as hard as Salo he was accurate and could get a good shot off that could be tipped or lead to rebounds. If garrison gives us that type of presence on the PP I think we are winners
At this point I'd trade Garrison straight up for Ehrhoff!
lancer
Don't mean to sound like a downer, but I saw the goals Garrison scored last year. Man did he victimize the Laughs. In fact the only concerning thing I saw was that a lot of his goals came against weak goalies. He scored on Miller twice, it seeems but Miller had a an aberrantly horrible season.
Just wondering how his shot will fare against the better goalies the Canucks will face come playoff time.
Mëds
I don't really see that as being a concern. If a guy has a hard enough shot and can pick the side of the net he wants (not the corner just the side) on a one-timer..
Uncle Dans Leg
Come on...look at that one timer. No stopping it to tee it up or bobbling bouncers, just hard and right on the net. Exactly what coaches want. Just because Brian "the wanker" Campbell was the guy who was setting them up doesn't mean Mr. Hart Trophy winning, assist factory Henrik Sedin cant do it... maybe even better for that matter.
For a left-handed point shot to really be getting alot of cross-ice one-timers on the Canucks will mean taking passes from someone other than Henrik because Hank sets up on the wrong side of the ice. It's what made Salo so valuable on that first unit, he had the big shot and was right-handed
Yeah it's too bad Garrison is just not clicking with anyone and is forcing the Canucks top dmen out of their natural sides.

Blob Mckenzie
Rick Bowness said this morning on the TEAM that Garrison is far more comfortable on the left side and that's where he will play. He said they will try and partner him up with Edler or Bieksa.

LH RH
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Edler
Ballard
Alberts

One of these things is not like the other......something has to give.
Yup if our defense can get it together this season something has to change in that top 4, most likely an exchange of dmen for a natural right side dman who is a great passer/setup man.

dbr
Well from what we know, Edler can play the right side but is not as comfortable.

We also know that Garrison played the left side of a very good pairing last year with a highly skilled left-shooting partner on the right side who is not stellar in his own zone. He excelled in a shutdown role the year before, again on the left side.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Canucks still try to make Garrison and Edler work but with Garrison in a similar role to what he played with Campbell and Edler freed up somewhat to play a more offensive game from his off side.
Exactly on the ball, they tried that with zero success, and are now hoping Garrison can play with Bieksa.
potatoe1
All of this discussion around Garrisons goal total is kind of ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how many goals he scored last year, what matters is if he is capable of playing on the first unit power play in the spot that Salo had most of last season.
At this early point Garrison is sadly nothing like Salo, his shot is horribly inaccurate, he's not being used on the first unit powerplay because he can't get any chemistry with anyone, and he is desperately needing a Campbell like right side player imo.

I think forcing Hamhuis over to the right with Edler makes the most sense long term if MG plans on keeping Edler, Hammy, Juice and Garrison.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Having three left-shooting top four defenseman isn't really an anomaly in a league where 153 of the 244 defensemen who've seen the ice this year shoot left.

And it shouldn't be a major issue over the long term, even if the blueline is a work in progress right now.

What would be a major issue would be having all lefties like Philadelphia did last season (hell they traded James Van Riemsdyk for an overpaid, underskilled righty just to attempt to solve their problem in the offseason).

Ideally I think the Canucks need one of their lefties to get at least semi-comfortable on his offside, and I think Edler is the likeliest candidate given that the biggest challenge is playing effectively in the defensive end and that's never going to be Edler's top priority anyway given his strengths elsewhere.

Even more ideally having one guy able to play his off-side in a pinch is your fallback option, and the guy replacing Keith Ballard next year is either a righty or a fleet-footed lefty who comfortably plays the right side (like Brian Campbell and Christian Ehrhoff and any number of other "offensive defensemen" do). Then you can have your top pairing of Hamhuis and Bieksa taking the toughest minutes, spread the rest among the other two pairings with Edler and Garrison each playing the left side of one.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Garrison sucks, Booth sucks, the twins can't produce, Lu sucks, Raymond sucks - how long have some of you been fans? Younger Canuck fans are so damn spoiled, they've never seen a bad team for more than a season or two at most. Those of us around in the 80's and 90's remember the absolute shit we had to cheer for - do guys like Enrico Ciccone, Bert Robertsson and Mark Wotton ring a bell? Just awful teams.

Me, I would rather talk about the upcoming Hawks game where hopefully the Mucks will kick some ass than bitch about the new dman who has some of the best advanced stats on the team, or the power winger who hasn't even played a Mae this year. Each to their own.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Diehard1 wrote:Garrison sucks, Booth sucks, the twins can't produce, Lu sucks, Raymond sucks - how long have some of you been fans? Younger Canuck fans are so damn spoiled, they've never seen a bad team for more than a season or two at most. Those of us around in the 80's and 90's remember the absolute shit we had to cheer for - do guys like Enrico Ciccone, Bert Robertsson and Mark Wotton ring a bell? Just awful teams.

Me, I would rather talk about the upcoming Hawks game where hopefully the Mucks will kick some ass than bitch about the new dman who has some of the best advanced stats on the team, or the power winger who hasn't even played a Mae this year. Each to their own.
Sweeeet rant! I agree wholeheartedly. When you grew up watching the Robin Bawas and Rick Heinz types it makes it easy to appreciate having what we do.
My favorite Canucks moment was definitely the trade for Ronning, Courtnall, Dirk and Momesso. It seemed to turn the fortunes for a long suffering franchise and its fanbase. Ever since I've been a Canucks junkie
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Kids
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:Kids
Thanks! It's now a compliment
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:Garrison sucks, Booth sucks, the twins can't produce, Lu sucks, Raymond sucks
Booth does suck, the rest don't and the Twins can produce
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau