Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Post by rats19 »

dangler wrote:
rats19 wrote:
dangler wrote:doesn't sound like the type of player The Gillis would target
because of his style of play? or
because of his price tag request?
or because he may be an asshole?

just askin..
-O’Reilly wants to be paid like a 30-goal scorer in this league. He scored 39 goals his first three years in the league. He’s never even scored 20. Guys who steal a few pucks and score 15-20 goals are great (his career high is 18, last year), but they aren’t $5 million a year players.

- O’Reilly is basing all his salary demands on one good year. He wants at least $5 million a year for one good year. But he’s played three. Sorry, kid, but you haven’t proven yourself enough yet to get that kind of money. Besides, if you’re as good as you say you are, then you’d have taken a one- or two-year deal, played your butt off and put up another big and maybe even better year and PROVEN you’re not just a one-year wonder. Then, you would have really had the Avs by the shorthairs at the bargaining table.
asshole first...pricetag second...lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

dangler wrote: -O’Reilly wants to be paid like a 30-goal scorer in this league. He scored 39 goals his first three years in the league. He’s never even scored 20. Guys who steal a few pucks and score 15-20 goals are great (his career high is 18, last year), but they aren’t $5 million a year players.
Are you Adrian Dater? If not, you should really put what you wrote in quotes and give him credit.

Anyhow, say Gillis can acquire O'Reilly and get him to lower his price tag to $4-4.5M. What then? Where does he fit in? Is O'Reilly interested in being the team's 3rd line center? Can the Canucks afford a 3rd line center making $4-4.5M a year? I like O'Reilly and see him as a good fit in need of a top 6 center.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Like Doc Abbotsford said, he's not a Mike Gillis type of guy, in which I agree. Mikey prefers the dumb ass Booths and Berniers. Personally, I would love to have ROR as a Canuck. He's a winner that kid, like a cross between Ryan Kesler and Mike Richards. You can't have enough of those guys. You win cups with the ROR's, IMO. He's a Brian Trottier type, smaller version of Ron Francis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bryan Trottier's first three seasons in the NHL 108G, 182A, 290Pts.

Ryan O'Reilly's first three seasons in the NHL 39G, 68A, 107Pts.

Mason Raymond's first three seasons in the NHL 51G, 64A, 115Pts.

David Booth's first three seasons in the NHL 56G, 54A, 110Pts. (Note: only 48 games his first season)
Last edited by Topper on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Bryan Trottiers first three seasons in the NHL 108G, 182A, 290Pts.
Back when there were nearly 50 goal scorers on every team and Wayne Gretzky scored 96 goals. And goalies wore pads not much wider than their calves, butterfly goaltending didn't exist. Move up to the modern world, Topper. Unbind your panties ya fairweather hockeyfan. This was long before the New Jersey Devils changed the game. It's now the Dead Puck Era of hockey. SHUT DOWN! Also, obviously I am not expecting ROR to be truly the new Trottier, would a poor mans Trottier made ya happier? I'm sure ROR would love to have a line-mate (Bossy) who will probably go down as the best shooter the NHL has seen. Pass to Bossy - SCORES!, pass to Bossy - SCORES!, pass to Bossy - SCORES! Pass to Bossy - SCORES!....................David Booth would get the same amount assists as Trottier did playing with Bossy.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Bryan Trottier's first three seasons in the NHL 108G, 182A, 290Pts.

Ryan O'Reilly's first three seasons in the NHL 39G, 68A, 107Pts.

Mason Raymond's first three seasons in the NHL 51G, 64A, 115Pts.

David Booth's first three seasons in the NHL 56G, 54A, 110Pts. (Note: only 48 games his first season)
You're missing the intangibles Topper, something you fairweather hockey fans choose to ignore. Now go on, race away and gather up those vital Corsi numbers.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Yes, but those comparisons to Raymond and Booth are pretty much comparing apples with apples. And the fact that ROR had similar numbers to those guys is a bit concerning. When "on" both Booth and Raymond are 2nd line NHLers today, and that's probably exactly where ROR is and will be. We pay $5m to our current 2nd line centre, so can we warrant spending another $4+ million on a 3rd line centre?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ron Francis' first three seasons in the NHL 76G, 162A, 238Pts. (Note: 59 games his 1st season)

Mike Richards' first three seasons in the NHL 49G, 92A, 141Pts. (Note: 59 games his 2nd season)

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

O'Reilly is off his rocker if he thinks he should get 4 to 4.5.

PK Suban is a better, and more established player, and he just signed for under 3 mill.

Part of the new reality is that young players coming off their ELC's are going to get bent over for the next 2 years because they have no leverage.

The Av's should just let him sit until he signs.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys are brutal, have you ever heard of the 'complete player'? Ya know those, the ones who do everything well but isn't lights out in one department. Those are called intangibles, they don't have stats for those players. To name a few - Brenden Morrow, Mike Richards and your favorite Trevor Linden. Were Linden's numbers outstanding? NO! But ya all think the world of him don't ya. Stats are stats they truly don't gauge a player's value, especially the ROR, Linden, Morrow, Richards types. But would you not call them important valuable players with so-called intangibles that you can't put a stat on?

Mike Richards has had the luxury playing on pretty good hockey teams with very good hockey players would you not say Topper?

But hey run along to your stat treehouse sanctuaries like a bunch a little girls. "Corsi, Corsi, Corsi! Save me from the big bad wolf Chef Boi RD!" I now can't wait to get archived by Doc McChristian.

Do I think ROR is worth what he is demanding? NO! But I would take him on my team any day. Y'all seem to not mind paying Booth 4.5 million. That's the real kicker laugh I get from y'all.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:Ron Francis' first three seasons in the NHL 76G, 162A, 238Pts. (Note: 59 games his 1st season)

Mike Richards' first three seasons in the NHL 49G, 92A, 141Pts. (Note: 59 games his 2nd season)
Seeing a guy with Reilly's numbers ( a 10 goal scorer) hold out for 5 million a year makes me want to back track hard to before the lockout and change every word I said about the players... I hope Gillis doesn't even think about this guy.

ROR needs to call Wade Redden and Scott Gomez about home run contracts...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys are brutal, have you ever heard of the 'complete player'? Ya know those, the ones who do everything well but isn't lights out in one department. Those are called intangibles, they don't have stats for those players. To name a few - Brenden Morrow, Mike Richards and your favorite Trevor Linden. Were Linden's numbers outstanding? NO! But ya all think the world of him don't ya. Stats are stats they truly don't gauge a player's value, especially the ROR, Linden, Morrow, Richards types. But would you not call them important valuable players with so-called intangibles that you can't put a stat on?

But hey run along to your stat treehouse sanctuaries like a bunch a little girls. "Corsi, Corsi, Corsi! Save me from the big bad wolf Chef Boi RD!" I now can't wait to get archived by Doc McChristian.

Do I think ROR is worth what he is demanding? NO! But I would take him on my team any day. Y'all seem to not mind paying Booth 4.5 million. That's the real kicker laugh I get from y'all.

where do we put him?

what should we pay?

I cant say I have watched much of his play..but if he is the real deal, as you say you cant have too many of those..but ...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:You guys are brutal, have you ever heard of the 'complete player'? Ya know those, the ones who do everything well but isn't lights out in one department. Those are called intangibles, they don't have stats for those players. To name a few - Brenden Morrow, Mike Richards and your favorite Trevor Linden. Were Linden's numbers outstanding? NO! But ya all think the world of him don't ya. Stats are stats they truly don't gauge a player's value, especially the ROR, Linden, Morrow, Richards types. But would you not call them important valuable players with so-called intangibles that you can't put a stat on?

where do we put him?

what should we pay?

I cant say I have watched much of his play..but if he is the real deal, as you say you cant have too many of those..but ...
I agree, he is asking for way to much money, but I would love to have him in a Canuck uni. His numbers would go through the roof and would thrive in this environment.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Brendan Morrow's first three seasons in the NHL 51G, 61A, 112Pts.

Trevor Linden's first three seasons in the NHL 84G, 96A, 180Pts. (Note: Runner up for Rookie of the Year)

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:I agree, he is asking for way to much money,
The taming of the shrew.