Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ukcanuck »

One would think this should be considered a new development or complication of an old injury, I mean he was on the roster so presumably he passed the physicals and now he can't go, so its hard to see how they can't allow LTIR...

A google of the new CBA seems to allow for a team to go over the cap to replace the player, but I couldn't find anything specific about what replacement means exactly. Does a replacement have to come from within the organization first, do they have to promote a farmhand or can they go outside for a body?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dangler wrote:what side does Ebbet play?
read he was 5 for 10 last game he was in
He is a lefty. Though the game against the Sharks he was 27.3%.

It's a possibility but with Kesler coming back soon I don't know where he fits.

I'll take Schroeder over him any day of the week.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

dangler wrote:what side does Ebbet play?
Whatever side the pressbox is on....
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Gillis said it was the Canucks decision to shut Malhotra down. Team thought there was a risk to his safety on the ice because of his vision problems.

Gillis also said:
- "For me, it was the hardest thing I've done in this job."
- "I've asked him to stay on with our organization. He could help us on a variety of levels."
- "I wouldn't put anyone in a position where I thought they couldn't protect themselves."
- "His personality, courage and leadership with this group will not change."

McKenzie on Malhotra:
- "The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game."
- "Malhotra is reportedly not prepared to formally retire at this time but he's been shut down for balnce of the season."
- "I would expect Malhotra to function as an unofficial assistant coach for balance of season, working with players in VAN and AHL CHI."

AV said Malhotra is still going to be a part of this team.

On the plus side, Kesler can be activated tomorrow without having to send anybody down to Chi-town! :D
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Thanks Manny!

What a great shutdown center he was before the injury. A consummate pro and a class act all the way.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ukcanuck wrote:Not to be overly ghoulish about manny on LTIR, but does this mean Gillis can go over the cap this season to replace him and get relief equal to the difference?
Wondering how this effects things next season too, will Aquaman get to spend another 2.5 mil?
According to McKenzie, Malhotra has been placed on IR not LTIR, so a roster space has been freed up, but there is no cap relief at this time.

Malhotra's current three year $7.5M deal expires on July 1, so the effect for next season is that Manny doesn't have a contract with the Canucks.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I would think soon enough he would be put on LTIR and we would clear some of his cap hit?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It has always amazed me that when we have someone on a big contract coming back, or when a return of a player could mean sending someone down on waivers, or have a fine rookie return to the farm that Gillis and Co. find a way to move a body without causing a major disruption. Not that first time IR seems to have come to our aid in unexpected ways. Remember Edler needing back surgery just as Salo was ready to come back. Not saying Edler didn't need surgery but the timing seems planned. Hold off on surgery until Sami is ready then get it done so Edler can be ready for the playoffs. Surgery that they were going to wait until the off season to do. But doing it when they did allowed them to keep all D men at a time when most of us thought one had to go.

Now Manny has vision problems to the point where his safety on the ice is in question. Seriously, like is this sudden or has it been in question all along? Suddenly after returning for the Finals against Boston, all of last year and the first 11 games and now he is at risk because he can't see well enough on the ice. Seriously?!?!? Was he injured? Did he re injure the eye? Has he just realized his vision is causing problems? Like holy smoke batman...

Add to that that it was MG that shut him down.

MG: Manny, we think you need to stop playing

MM: Why? I'm in great shape.

MG: No. we think your vision is off and you risk getting injured.

MM: I can see fine. I've been cleared to play and I am in the best shape of my career.

MG: No, Manny, you are not fine. You can't see as well as you need to. We are afraid you may get hurt and won't be able to protect yourself and then you will get really really hurt.

MM: But I'm fine, I've compensated for all of that. Yes, I have lost part of my game and had to reinvent other parts but I am still contributing. I'm leading the team in face-offs, I can still crash and bang and get in on the for-check. But I'm contributing.

MG: Yes, but we need to make room for Kesler and JS has really impressed us with his play. We don't want to risk losing anyone o waivers and we need to make room for Kesler on the roster.

MM: Fine but what has that got to do with me?

MG See Manny, I told you your vision was poor. You can't see it can you?

MM: See what?

MG: What I'm trying to tell you.

MM: Spell it out Mike

MG: If I have to spell it out for you then that tells me your vision isn't where it needs to be. Tell you what, we don't want to waive you, we really want to pay you your salary but we can't have you taking a roster spot at this point. So here are your options. Retire and we will immediately hire you in a management capacity , or go on IR and collect your salary, stay part of the team and if we win the cup your name goes on. When the season is done we will find a spot for you in management. Come July 1st if your vision returns you will FA and then who knows who may need someone with your talent and skill, if your health is better then of course.

MM: Give me a couple of days to think about this one Mike. I really think I can play out this year and contribute to the team in some way.

MG: We don't think so Manny but if you come back with that answer then the only thing I can do is waive you and send you down to Chicago. But who knows, maybe someone picks you up but we both know you will fail the physical.

MM: I see your point Mike

MG: Good to see that your vision is clearing already Manny. More time off will do it wonders.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^ I bet that Manny didn't see that coming!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:^ I bet that Manny didn't see that coming!
your out of control...lol :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

MG had a presser. Main points that I find interesting:

* Felt last season his days were done. Saw too many times plays where he felt Manny was at risk because of his vision problems.

* Thought about shutting him down last season but Manny said he was fine. Told Mike the problem was he didn't get to train in the off season and that he would be fine this year and even better once he had a chance to train for the full off season.

* MG agreed to let him come back this season with the hopes that Manny was right, a full training cycle would allow him to compete at the NHL level and he would be able to minimize the risks.

* Agreed to give him 10 games to see if the risks that MG feared last season had been minimized.

* After 10 games MG still felt that Manny was highly vulnerable to getting seriously injured and that the off season training, while helping him in other ways, did not help him improve his on ice vision and avoid the high risk of getting injured.

* Manny is stubborn and proud and doesn't see it that way.

*MG took the decision off Manny's hands and made it for him. He felt that the risk to his health was too great and was concerned about Manny's life off the ice should he suffer a major injury. So after a 10 game evaluation sat down with Manny and told him what he wanted to tell him last season. Team isn't prepared to risk future health concerns or injuries any longer. MG says he worried about Manny every time he took a shift and he couldn't do it any longer.

* Manny understands but does not readily agree.

* In essence this decision was made mid season last year but Manny talked MG into letting him keep play.

* No consideration on waiving him since its ability to keep playing that is the issue not where he plays.

* Manny has not asked to be traded due to this but has accepted the Canucks decision to not play the rest of this year.

* Yes, MG will definitely make room for him in management but both sides haven't finished flushing out what that will look like.

* Decision has nothing to do with creating a roster spot. He promised Manny 10 games to see if the concerns MG had last year had been minimized or improved upon. If they had then Manny would still be on the team playing and he would deal with the roster issues another way. All a coincidence that Kesler is ready to return and he needed to clear a spot. Not a cap or salary issue either as he is still being paid and his cap still counts. Totally a health and safety issue. Bottom line, MG made this decision at the end of last year and Manny was told then. But he persuaded MG to give him these 10 games to show he could improve.

* Strongly intimated that Manny's support group understood and I took that to mean that his agent and family were on board with the decision. It was one Manny could not make himself and so others had to make it for him.

* Manny is not at a point where he is ready to retire and will be a FA July 1st. What happens at that point only time will tell but I guess if Manny still feels he can play he may test the waters. If he comes to the realization that his safety is at risk he may then decide its time.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

GMMG is doing exactly what the Redskin's management was criticized for not doing with RGIII.

Good that someone is keeping an eye out for Manny.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:GMMG is doing exactly what the Redskin's management was criticized for not doing with RGIII.

Good that someone is keeping an eye out for Manny.

LOL

But yes, you are right. If Manny truly was at risk of being injured because he was vulnerable then I can see that the right thing to do was stop him from playing. If it was because his play had slipped to the point where he was no longer as effective but his risk factors had not increased then I could visualize him being placed on waivers or I could even see him being traded.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:I would think soon enough he would be put on LTIR and we would clear some of his cap hit?
Don't know. Maybe one of the resident cap experts can shed some light on this?

Sounds like management and Manny were in a tough place. I guess good on GMMG for making a tough decision, but sticking with his guns. I can't say I ever thought Manny was at risk out there, but his performance certainly has slid.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I would think soon enough he would be put on LTIR and we would clear some of his cap hit?
Don't know. Maybe one of the resident cap experts can shed some light on this?

Sounds like management and Manny were in a tough place. I guess good on GMMG for making a tough decision, but sticking with his guns. I can't say I ever thought Manny was at risk out there, but his performance certainly has slid.

He'll only be put on LTIR if we need the cap space. Right now we don't.