So After The 11 Game Mark

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: So After The 11 Game Mark

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:
herb wrote: Word on the street now is that expansion may be on the horizon with Quebec City and southern Ontario (Markham?). Personally, I think the existing divisional system is fine. Although, if Phoenix moves to Seattle, it would make sense for Seattle and Vancouver to be in the same division, but if there is expansion and Ontario and Quebec each get another team then there would be 18 teams in the Eastern Conference and only 16 out west.
That would be 34 teams.

Where else are they expanding to?
I'm an idiot.

That should say 17 out east and 15 out west. Was thinking of the NFL for some reason and thought they were 16 and 16.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... -is-coming

A timely article from Lebrun.

Interesting that the two "eastern" conferences (C&D) in the proposal from 2011 have 7 teams only. That would leave the window wide open for two expansion teams from Ontario and Quebec (Phoenix should be in Seattle , but that's another discussion) without having to upset the new conferences.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Does anyone really think Seattle could support an NHL team? Christ, the city is half black and they couldn't hang onto their ghettoball NBA franchise.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mondi wrote: If the league wants to build in unfairness, that is when I stop watching.
Such as clearly biased refs who call postseason games differently for Yankee franchises which the league wants to win?

Man that would be awful, especially if it happened at the expense of us winning a fucking Cup one day.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote:Does anyone really think Seattle could support an NHL team? Christ, the city is half black and they couldn't hang onto their ghettoball NBA franchise.
Yeah but you have to remember who has more money, and disposable income in Seattle. My guess would be the hockey demographic as opposed to basketball.

They have a decent minor hockey program in Seattle and the outlying cities and this would only increase with the presence of a professional franchise. Plus they've had some decent success with WHL hockey. So there is a core group of hockey fans to build off of.

I think it could work, especially with a natural I-5 rivalry with us, eventually. With the cost of tickets in Vancouver these days I can imagine Canucks fans making the trip on a regular basis.

This would all depend on management of course, if they can build a fairly successful team that gets into the playoffs and is not a continual failure I believe it would work.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Does anyone really think Seattle could support an NHL team? Christ, the city is half black and they couldn't hang onto their ghettoball NBA franchise.
There were a lot of politics involved with the Sonics move to OKC, and much like the Grizzlies and Hornets before them, the NBA did not do a damn thing to help keep the team in Seattle.

I certainly don't see why a NHL team could not be succesful. At the very least, Seattle cannot possibly be worse than Phoenix. I know that's a low bar, but that's the obvious candidate for me.

I'm no pro sports market research expert, but a quick Google search shows that the Seattle metropolitan area is 15th largest in the US. Comparables are San Francisco, Denver, Minneapolis, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Boston and Phoenix. These other places have NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL teams, and in some cases more than one team from each league.

Seattle's getting a new NBA/NHL arena. The city has said it wants an NHL team, and their is a prospective owner (Don Levin) who wants to bring a NHL team to Seattle. It's a good sports town, and the winters are shit which makes for perfect hockey watching weather.
Last edited by herb on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:This would all depend on management of course, if they can build a fairly successful team that gets into the playoffs and is not a continual failure I believe it would work.
This is always a huge pre-requisite.

People will pay big money to go see a winner, but you can't give tickets away to watch a loser.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:This would all depend on management of course, if they can build a fairly successful team that gets into the playoffs and is not a continual failure I believe it would work.
This is always a huge pre-requisite.

People will pay big money to go see a winner, but you can't give tickets away to watch a loser.
I guess the Flames will be heading out of town any day now.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote: I guess the Flames will be heading out of town any day now.
Well the difference there is that they have a large delusional fan base that believes they are a piece or two away from success.

Every year.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I guess the Flames will be heading out of town any day now.
Well the difference there is that they have a large delusional fan base that believes they are a piece or two away from success.

Every year.
I'm going to head over to Bountiful to check out Bingo's gingerbread house. I hear you can even pet their unicorn if you admit that Burrows is worse than a child-killer.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Seattle got bent over hard on the Sonics. It had little to do with money, building, or fan support.

For purists its got to rank up there with the Baltimore Colts, Winnipeg Jets and Brooklyn Dodgers

http://documentaryheaven.com/sonicsgate ... or-a-team/
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I was looking at the proposed conference line ups and this seems a little bit more fair than leaving Tampa and Florida in with Ottawa and Toronto.

A
Vancouver
San Jose
Anaheim
LA
Pheonix
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

B
Winnipeg
Dallas
St. Louis
Minnesota
Chicago
Nashville
Atlanta
Detroit

C
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Boston
Rangers
Islanders

D
Philly
Pittsburgh
Carolina
Washington
New Jersey
Tampa
Florida
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I think it could work, especially with a natural I-5 rivalry with us, eventually. With the cost of tickets in Vancouver these days I can imagine Canucks fans making the trip on a regular basis.
herb wrote: Seattle's getting a new NBA/NHL arena. The city has said it wants an NHL team, and their is a prospective owner (Don Levin) who wants to bring a NHL team to Seattle. It's a good sports town, and the winters are shit which makes for perfect hockey watching weather.
Yeah Seattle with a brand new arena would be a perfectly viable option to get a relocated NHL team.

With every single Canucks game in Seatown, I bet half their building will be filled with Vancouver fans lol.
Just like in Ottawa, half the building are leaves fans ha.

Did you see the new article where the Sens basically said don't sell your tickets to leaves fans, it's a new "rule". :lol:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/ ... eafs_fans/
The Ottawa Senators are attempting to limit the number Toronto Maple leaves fans that attend Senators home games.

According to the Toronto Star, the Senators sent an email to its season-ticket holders offering a 20 per cent discount on additional tickets to home games against the leaves so long as they don’t re-sell them to fans of the visiting team.

The email stated: "We are asking you to ensure that the tickets are used by Senators fans and not re-sold to the general public. Any seats being re-sold will be subject to cancellation and loss of privileges with respect to future additional ticket pre-sales."

When the leaves visit the Senators there is usually a large contingent of leaves supporters in the stands and during some games the crowd support seems split 50/50.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Yep, I'd definately catch some games down in Seattle.

I hope they would call them the Seattle Thunderbirds (and re-name the minor leage team) and not take some lame-ass name
Canuck-One wrote:I was looking at the proposed conference line ups and this seems a little bit more fair than leaving Tampa and Florida in with Ottawa and Toronto.
They don't want to split up the rival NY/Penn teams from the old Patrick division (NYR, NYI, NJ, Philly, Pens)
Probably makes sense
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:I guess the Flames will be heading out of town any day now.
The Flames won last night and scored 7 goals in the process, so plan the parade route!