So After The 11 Game Mark

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: So After The 11 Game Mark

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'd take Edler over 2013 Boyle in a heartbeat. I think Seabrook is overrated, he's solid but unspectacular at anything IMO.

Pietrangelo is turning into a great D-man. Offensively Letang is better, but that's the East.

So yeah, pretty short bus there. I mean list. Short list.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote: Edler is a no1 guy, he's just not a superstar no1 like Weber / Pronger / Chara.

Labeling him a no3 is absolutely laughable and really shows that you are entirely clueless when it comes to the rest of the league.
I like how saying someone is a very good top 3 defenseman means I label him a number 3. A top 3 means he can slot anywhere in the top 3. Doesn't necessarily mean he is a number one guy though. Just that he can be used in that capacity in a pinch. Again, I go back to the consistency. I said in a different post/reply to someone else, he can dominate the rink when he brings what he has the potential to bring. But he often brings his B+ game and sometimes his C- game. I just don't see Edler's A game enough to be satisfied with him as the anchor on the blueline.
Pot wrote: Just to put it perspective Mëds lets do a little exercise.

Set asside the canucks and look at the rest of the conference (given you might actually have seeen some of these guys play). Give me a list of the defenseman you believe are clearly better then Edler.

Here let me get you started

Weber
Suter
Keith
DD

Ummm

Maybe Seabrook, Yandle, and Boyle,,, maybe.

Whats the average salary of that group?
For starters I can't stand Doughty. I think he's the most overpaid defenseman in the NHL. Right now he has 4 points and is a minus-10. I would take Edler over him. When you stack up the best game that each of them can bring I think Doughty edges Edler on skating and puck control but gives up a bit on physical strength and checking. $7M a year for what a guy MIGHT bring to the ice? No thanks.....I'm already unhappy with Edler's inconsistency.

As for salary, I initially balked at the extension and was pissed that we gave him that much. It was pointed out to me the comparable salaries in the league and since then I have had no issue with his $5M. In fact I already said in this thread that if not for the warts on Edler's game that UW pointed out, Edler would likely have gotten a contract in the $6M range.

When someone talks to me about a defenseman being a number one guy, I'm framing that as a guy who would be the defensive corps anchor on any team. There are plenty of teams out there that have top pairings comprised of defenseman who are really not much more than 2's and good 3's. Since you are so hung up on salary I will agree with you that Edler's extension does land him in a group of other defenseman who are now brutal overpayments when stacked against Edler. There are even some $6+M defensemen out there that are not as good as Edler. I think they are badly overpaid and if they were playing here for the same cash I would be just as disgruntled with them.

Look at all of the players that are on my shit list. They are all pretty much good players that other teams wouldn't mind having, but they are all guys who just mail it in on a given night. Raymond, is the first one that comes to mind right now. He's off to a great season here, but I've watched a skilled player who has amazing speed simply phone his game in on any given night and not play the way he is capable of playing. Don't care how much he's being paid. Anyone who makes close to the money these guys make doesn't have the luxury of taking a day off at the office.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Totally forgot about Letang. The list is short Rummy and at Edler's pricepoint especially now and moving forward this is a ridiculous conversation tbqh.

Would we rather have T Myers with the way he is playing? Though i think he will sort it out and find his way out of Lindy's doghouse. As I type this a couple BC boys are having strong seasons so far. I have advocated for both of these guys in the past so i like to see them do well. Patty Wierchioch and Cody Franson lookging good so far. Big, talented and BC bred . :thumbs:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I think we need Rome back so that Mëds will lay off Edler.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I think we need Rome back so that Mëds will lay off Edler.

S_C
Or Ballard could start sucking again and then you guys both win!
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I think we need Rome back so that Mëds will lay off Edler.

S_C
Won't help. I ragged on Edler fo the same shit before.

Rome was an upgrade on Fitzpatrick, and the only reason I hated him was because he was under AV's desk and getting TOI over the much better Ballard.

Rome was fine as a 7th man, but horrible as the 6th man.

And I'm laying off Edler for now. I actually only harp on him when called out about it or after some major screw ups. Or to actually have a bit of coversation like I did with UW.....of course guys like Pot have to jump all over that and read more into it.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

So after the 12 game mark, 1/4 of the way through the season, we are 5 points up on the closest team in the NorthWest.

Without 2 of our top 6 forwards.

So we should be a good 20+ points clear by the time the season ends.

:lol:

Man I love this division right now!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:Man I love this division right now!
We certainly are giving the Southeast a run for the title of worst division in the league.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote: We certainly are giving the Southeast a run for the title of worst division in the league.
Well it all works out IMO cause we still have the 3rd most km's to travel this year.

Nice to have a few tap-ins every now and again close to home.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Aaronp18 wrote:
dbr wrote: We certainly are giving the Southeast a run for the title of worst division in the league.
Well it all works out IMO cause we still have the 3rd most km's to travel this year.

Nice to have a few tap-ins every now and again close to home.
Let's see how re-alignment goes next year.

Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

CFP! wrote: Let's see how re-alignment goes next year.
Anyone rumours to what the plan is? Sticking to 5 team divisions?

If they do I assume we get Winnipeg with Calgary, Edmonton and probably Colorado.

The Pacific would stay the same I guess depending on what happens to Phoenix.

And move either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville into the East, with Minnesota taking the open space in the Central.

If they go to 2 divisions per conference it's going to be all screwy with 8 teams in one and 7 in the other.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm sure Gary's not looking forward to having to tackle that again.

From the outside, it looks like it was a huge undertaking just to come out with some wackadoo mess of a plan that the PA promptly shot down - since then we've had a knock down, drag out CBA fight that probably ended up more in the PA's favour than many foresaw (and certainly more than any previous result) so it's probable that they are not going to allow HQ to push them over on this issue either.

If I had to wrangle 30 owners, an angry union and 700 of their members on this one I would be awfully tempted to make the smallest change possible and be done with it until I had 32 (or 28 :twisted: ) teams to divvy up into conferences or whatever the fuck Bettman's master plan is on this one.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that plan to have 4 Conferences that was shot down by the NHLPA.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:
CFP! wrote: Let's see how re-alignment goes next year.
Anyone rumours to what the plan is? Sticking to 5 team divisions?

If they do I assume we get Winnipeg with Calgary, Edmonton and probably Colorado.

The Pacific would stay the same I guess depending on what happens to Phoenix.

And move either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville into the East, with Minnesota taking the open space in the Central.

If they go to 2 divisions per conference it's going to be all screwy with 8 teams in one and 7 in the other.
Well, as dbr pointed out, the last attempt ended up being quite a mess. Detroit and Columbus both want to move east, American teams don't want to be in a division with Canadian teams, the divisions weren't equal, estbalished rivalries would have been affected, the schedule would have sucked and nobody knows what the hell is going to happen with Phoenix.

Word on the street now is that expansion may be on the horizon with Quebec City and southern Ontario (Markham?). Personally, I think the existing divisional system is fine. Although, if Phoenix moves to Seattle, it would make sense for Seattle and Vancouver to be in the same division, but if there is expansion and Ontario and Quebec each get another team then there would be 18 teams in the Eastern Conference and only 16 out west.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote: Word on the street now is that expansion may be on the horizon with Quebec City and southern Ontario (Markham?). Personally, I think the existing divisional system is fine. Although, if Phoenix moves to Seattle, it would make sense for Seattle and Vancouver to be in the same division, but if there is expansion and Ontario and Quebec each get another team then there would be 18 teams in the Eastern Conference and only 16 out west.
That would be 34 teams.

Where else are they expanding to?