So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

dbr wrote:Jesus RD... might wanna take a breather there.


I'm having dinner...lasagna and garlic bread, Safeway Select.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Strangelove » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 pm

dbr wrote:Jesus RD... might wanna take a breather there.


Seconded.

Dude, BUDDY, don't know what's going on but I want you to know I'm there for ya big guy!

Today you're arguing vehemently about what a great prize Lu Wongo is.

A week-and-a-half-ago you were arguing the opposite:

RoyalDude on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm wrote:Luongo will be 34 in April, Gillimiblicle waits to trade him this off-season, he will turn 35 in the first year of his new team. The longer this goes on the less valuable his asset becomes. It's simple math. TRADE HIM NOW! GET WHAT YOU CAN!

RoyalDude on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm wrote:Look around the league, there is no fit for a 34 year old Luongo. No team is screaming out WE NEED LUONGO! That is, if Gillis stops being an ass and lowers his ridiculous trade demands. Be done with it, turn the page, start a new chapter. Shite, I don't even think we could get Bozak straight up, even with how well Luongo is playing right now.

RoyalDude on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 am wrote:The longer this goes the more ya realize that Gillis needs to lower his demands and just get what he can for Luongo.


Not sure what's up good buddy, but I hope you get through it!

PEACE

In the meantime, think Florida and think PETROVIC! :thumbs:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm

mod edit
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Uncle dans leg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 pm

[quote="RoyalDude"]
mod edit
:wow:
Why so angry dude? (Gotta admit that's an ass kickin' rant tho)
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:mod edit

Why so angry dude? (Gotta admit that's an ass kickin' rant tho)


Angry? It doesn't come across as someone confused as to why anyone would ever want to live in that [mod edit]called Abbotsford?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

RoyalDude wrote: confused as to why anyone would ever want to live in that unwiped sphincter called Abbotsford?


So they can be closer to Deroche...... ? :look:

hah funny about pakis driving cement trucks. Last summer at Deka Lake I noticed a dark skinned man with a long beard wearing his laundry on his dome driving a cement truck up there. He was the first one I saw up there..... ever. Now i hear there are three of them . :mad:
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3099
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Uncle dans leg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:mod edit

Why so angry dude? (Gotta admit that's an ass kickin' rant tho)


No not really...it sounds pretty pissed off. I don't really know much about Abby but I never thought it bad enough to go off like that. I dunno, I always thought of it like everywhere else in the Fraser Valley...
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

RoyalDude wrote:mod edit.


I laughed at that one... nicely done.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Diehard1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
You said it yourself - Halak and Elliott are up soon. Lu has 9.5 years and over $40 million left on his deal. The Blues can sign a couple of goalies for a couple of million dollars or somewhere around $15 or $20 million over the next 9 years, or they can pay Lu over $40 million for the same term. I know you live in capland where nothing matters but cap hit, but businesses actually care about dollars spent, not cap hit.

I understand that business is not your strong suit, but for a team that is trying to sell itself the last thing they want is to lose more money, be that $2 million, $5 million or $10 million a season. It's not happening.


This is a stupid argument cause Lou ain't ever gonna be a Blue NOT cause the Blues may or may not be able to afford him but because the Blues are in the Western Conf. and Lou would not waive to go there, that being said you do realize that even after you, I, Luongo, Elliott and Halak have long parted this earth that the Blues will still need a goalie? And that no. 1 goalies are expensive, I believe that over half the no. 1 starters in the league make $4 million and up. The rest are your Dubnyks, Lindbacks, Reimers, Holtby's blah, blah, blah and you do realize that Luongo only makes roughly a little more than $2million more than Halak, WOW! Breaking the fucking bank here! And that Elliott is consdered and expensive back up. You do realize that Halak is an easy trade cause his contract is over after the 2013/14 season. What GM's call a workable contract. You do realize that Andy '35 Year Old' McDonald who makes 4.7 million is a UFA at the end of this season, can you say "Hello Ty Rattie" and your inexpensive contract. Be prepared to see a lot of Ty Ratties in the league next year, getting the fast track to the NHL.

You do realize that after this season that Luongo has only 5 more seasons on his contract that pays him the 6 million something he is getting now, after that it goes to $3 million for one year, he will be the age Brodeur is now, then the last two years are $1 million each. Whoa, such a terrible contract. Ain't no fucking reason why Luongo can't be playing the game until he is 40. How old is Kiprusoff? how old is Thomas? How old is Brodeur? How old was Osgood when he quit, how old was Hasek? Luongo takes better care of himself than most NHL'ers out there, doesn't have a reputation for having injuries, ie Halak.


I didnt get past the first sentence - did you say Lu isn't going to be a Blue? Then what the hell are you going on about? We agree.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 am

MG spoke on a TO radio station today. Sounds like he is leaning more amd more towards an off season move. Recognizes that for the good of both goalie a deal needs to be made but feels the off season may be the best time to address it. Still lots of talk but so far no deals that he feels make us better as a team without Luongo on it.

Interesting that they have run the cap numbers and have multiple scenarios available to them should they decide to keep both but feels for the best of both men and for the team long term the time will soon come when a trade needs to happen. Doesn't need to happen now but recognizes that time will come.


My take, he has not been offered a good enough deal(no kidding) and is very very prepared to wait until the off season at which time he will make a deal and if that is less than what he feels he should get he will live with that in the summer. The more this season goes on and with the imminent return of Kesler and Booth, and with the depth we have displayed, I too am leaning more and more that now is not the time. Hot damn I think we are a true contender, barring any devastating injuries, to get back to the finals and these two will be a big part of that. I say go for the cup unless you get an absolute home run and save whatever cap space you have for a deadline day pick up or 2 if someone interesting becomes available.

For what its worth a couple of my sources are saying the talk amounts the Canucks is that a deal is getting less and less likely until the summer. But of course these "leaks" are usually planted so perhaps it is anoter game of chicken. The closer we get to deadline day the less likely a deal gets made as the team will be more committed to keeping both for the playoff run.

If teams like Washington, Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Philly, Buffalo, St, Louis, fail to make the playoffs or have an extremely early exit they could all be looking for a serious upgrade over the summer.


NATIONAL POST

Canucks prepared to keep Roberto Luongo for the whole season: GM Mike Gillis

Sean Fitz-Gerald | Feb 12, 2013 2:23 PM ET | Last Updated: Feb 12, 2013 5:34 PM ET
More from Sean Fitz-Gerald | @SeanFitz_Gerald

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl DyckLuongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged.
Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Email Comments More
Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said he is prepared to keep Roberto Luongo on his team through the entire season, though he also told a Toronto radio station on Tuesday that trade talks are ongoing: “You’d be surprised at the number of teams that have inquired about our goalies.”

Roberto Luongo opens up about Canucks situation

Luongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged. Luongo has the better goals-against average (1.53, compared to 2.36) and a better save-percentage (.940, compared to .921), despite long-running speculation he would be traded.

I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie
His name was raised again on Monday night when the Toronto Maple Leafs — the team most often associated with Luongo rumours — lost starting goaltender James Reimer to a knee injury in the second period of a 5-2 win over Philadelphia. He is expected to miss at least a week.

Related
Canucks clear first hurdle in a season full of questions
Five teams that could use Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo right now
Speaking to Sportsnet Radio The FAN in Toronto on Tuesday, Gillis was asked whether the injury prompted the Leafs to call about Luongo.

“You don’t make decisions based on a game or one player,” Gillis told the station. “You make decisions based on long-term needs.”

Luongo, 33, has nine seasons remaining on his contract after this year. When asked if the Canucks would buy out the contract, Gillis said: “We never even had a discussion about it; it never entered our thought process.”


Chris Young/The Canadian PressToronto Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer (left) is helped off the ice by John-Michael Liles during second period NHL hockey action against Philadelphia Flyers in Toronto on Monday February 11, 2013.
“We do a lot of cap planning well in advance and have multiple scenarios we could use to keep both [goaltenders],” Gillis told the station. “But I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie. It’s the right thing for us, and it’s going to be the right thing for them.”

Vancouver (7-2-2) held third place in the Western Conference standings heading into Tuesday night’s game against Minnesota.

“No one gave these guys enough credit in terms of the kind of people they were, how hard they work, how much they support one another,” Gillis told the station of his two hopeful starters. “We knew, going in, that if there wasn’t a deal for us that made sense, we were going to keep both of them in a shortened season and see how things played out.

“When you can put a guy in net every night, who gives you a chance to win every game, it’s a luxury that’s pretty hard to give up. You get used to it after a while.”
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Meds » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 am

Both of these guys have really risen above it all here. I mean total class acts.

If not for the reducing salary cap I really wish that there was the option to keep them both and give each of them 24 games this year and 41 each next year.

Luongo seems like a totally different guy this year than in years gone by.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

Meds wrote:Luongo seems like a totally different guy this year than in years gone by.

^This^
Whoever inherits RL will be getting a damn good goalie who looks like he may have found the place in his head where he can overcome his past demons. A storybook ending to his time here would be hoisting the grail. I can see it!!!
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Cornuck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Meds wrote:Luongo seems like a totally different guy this year than in years gone by.

^This^
Whoever inherits RL will be getting a damn good goalie who looks like he may have found the place in his head where he can overcome his past demons. A storybook ending to his time here would be hoisting the grail. I can see it!!!


Could it just be that this is the first time he's faced some serious competition? Maybe he's just really enjoying that he's making the kid work his #1 spot. When traded, I would guess that he could keep this attitude up to prove himself to the new team.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Diehard1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:MG spoke on a TO radio station today. Sounds like he is leaning more amd more towards an off season move. Recognizes that for the good of both goalie a deal needs to be made but feels the off season may be the best time to address it. Still lots of talk but so far no deals that he feels make us better as a team without Luongo on it.

Interesting that they have run the cap numbers and have multiple scenarios available to them should they decide to keep both but feels for the best of both men and for the team long term the time will soon come when a trade needs to happen. Doesn't need to happen now but recognizes that time will come.


My take, he has not been offered a good enough deal(no kidding) and is very very prepared to wait until the off season at which time he will make a deal and if that is less than what he feels he should get he will live with that in the summer. The more this season goes on and with the imminent return of Kesler and Booth, and with the depth we have displayed, I too am leaning more and more that now is not the time. Hot damn I think we are a true contender, barring any devastating injuries, to get back to the finals and these two will be a big part of that. I say go for the cup unless you get an absolute home run and save whatever cap space you have for a deadline day pick up or 2 if someone interesting becomes available.

For what its worth a couple of my sources are saying the talk amounts the Canucks is that a deal is getting less and less likely until the summer. But of course these "leaks" are usually planted so perhaps it is anoter game of chicken. The closer we get to deadline day the less likely a deal gets made as the team will be more committed to keeping both for the playoff run.

If teams like Washington, Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Philly, Buffalo, St, Louis, fail to make the playoffs or have an extremely early exit they could all be looking for a serious upgrade over the summer.


NATIONAL POST

Canucks prepared to keep Roberto Luongo for the whole season: GM Mike Gillis

Sean Fitz-Gerald | Feb 12, 2013 2:23 PM ET | Last Updated: Feb 12, 2013 5:34 PM ET
More from Sean Fitz-Gerald | @SeanFitz_Gerald

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl DyckLuongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged.
Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Email Comments More
Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said he is prepared to keep Roberto Luongo on his team through the entire season, though he also told a Toronto radio station on Tuesday that trade talks are ongoing: “You’d be surprised at the number of teams that have inquired about our goalies.”

Roberto Luongo opens up about Canucks situation

Luongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged. Luongo has the better goals-against average (1.53, compared to 2.36) and a better save-percentage (.940, compared to .921), despite long-running speculation he would be traded.

I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie
His name was raised again on Monday night when the Toronto Maple Leafs — the team most often associated with Luongo rumours — lost starting goaltender James Reimer to a knee injury in the second period of a 5-2 win over Philadelphia. He is expected to miss at least a week.

Related
Canucks clear first hurdle in a season full of questions
Five teams that could use Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo right now
Speaking to Sportsnet Radio The FAN in Toronto on Tuesday, Gillis was asked whether the injury prompted the Leafs to call about Luongo.

“You don’t make decisions based on a game or one player,” Gillis told the station. “You make decisions based on long-term needs.”

Luongo, 33, has nine seasons remaining on his contract after this year. When asked if the Canucks would buy out the contract, Gillis said: “We never even had a discussion about it; it never entered our thought process.”


Chris Young/The Canadian PressToronto Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer (left) is helped off the ice by John-Michael Liles during second period NHL hockey action against Philadelphia Flyers in Toronto on Monday February 11, 2013.
“We do a lot of cap planning well in advance and have multiple scenarios we could use to keep both [goaltenders],” Gillis told the station. “But I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie. It’s the right thing for us, and it’s going to be the right thing for them.”

Vancouver (7-2-2) held third place in the Western Conference standings heading into Tuesday night’s game against Minnesota.

“No one gave these guys enough credit in terms of the kind of people they were, how hard they work, how much they support one another,” Gillis told the station of his two hopeful starters. “We knew, going in, that if there wasn’t a deal for us that made sense, we were going to keep both of them in a shortened season and see how things played out.

“When you can put a guy in net every night, who gives you a chance to win every game, it’s a luxury that’s pretty hard to give up. You get used to it after a while.”


I was previously of the mind that Lu had to go this season as the team needed the return to strengthen other areas. With Kassian and Schroeder playing so well I'm not sure that's needed as much anymore. The D looks solid, the goalies are the best duo in hte league, and the forwards dont have a lot of holes other than maybe another 220 pound center who can match up with the big centers in the west. If that's available great, if not keep both goalies and make the trade in the summer. I would rather have the insurance if Gillis can't get something that really puts us over the top.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Arachnid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:MG spoke on a TO radio station today. Sounds like he is leaning more amd more towards an off season move. Recognizes that for the good of both goalie a deal needs to be made but feels the off season may be the best time to address it. Still lots of talk but so far no deals that he feels make us better as a team without Luongo on it.

Interesting that they have run the cap numbers and have multiple scenarios available to them should they decide to keep both but feels for the best of both men and for the team long term the time will soon come when a trade needs to happen. Doesn't need to happen now but recognizes that time will come.


My take, he has not been offered a good enough deal(no kidding) and is very very prepared to wait until the off season at which time he will make a deal and if that is less than what he feels he should get he will live with that in the summer. The more this season goes on and with the imminent return of Kesler and Booth, and with the depth we have displayed, I too am leaning more and more that now is not the time. Hot damn I think we are a true contender, barring any devastating injuries, to get back to the finals and these two will be a big part of that. I say go for the cup unless you get an absolute home run and save whatever cap space you have for a deadline day pick up or 2 if someone interesting becomes available.

For what its worth a couple of my sources are saying the talk amounts the Canucks is that a deal is getting less and less likely until the summer. But of course these "leaks" are usually planted so perhaps it is anoter game of chicken. The closer we get to deadline day the less likely a deal gets made as the team will be more committed to keeping both for the playoff run.

If teams like Washington, Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Philly, Buffalo, St, Louis, fail to make the playoffs or have an extremely early exit they could all be looking for a serious upgrade over the summer.


NATIONAL POST

Canucks prepared to keep Roberto Luongo for the whole season: GM Mike Gillis

Sean Fitz-Gerald | Feb 12, 2013 2:23 PM ET | Last Updated: Feb 12, 2013 5:34 PM ET
More from Sean Fitz-Gerald | @SeanFitz_Gerald

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl DyckLuongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged.
Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Email Comments More
Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said he is prepared to keep Roberto Luongo on his team through the entire season, though he also told a Toronto radio station on Tuesday that trade talks are ongoing: “You’d be surprised at the number of teams that have inquired about our goalies.”

Roberto Luongo opens up about Canucks situation

Luongo has appeared in six games for the Canucks this season, the same number that his would-be successor, Cory Schneider, has logged. Luongo has the better goals-against average (1.53, compared to 2.36) and a better save-percentage (.940, compared to .921), despite long-running speculation he would be traded.

I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie
His name was raised again on Monday night when the Toronto Maple Leafs — the team most often associated with Luongo rumours — lost starting goaltender James Reimer to a knee injury in the second period of a 5-2 win over Philadelphia. He is expected to miss at least a week.

Related
Canucks clear first hurdle in a season full of questions
Five teams that could use Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo right now
Speaking to Sportsnet Radio The FAN in Toronto on Tuesday, Gillis was asked whether the injury prompted the Leafs to call about Luongo.

“You don’t make decisions based on a game or one player,” Gillis told the station. “You make decisions based on long-term needs.”

Luongo, 33, has nine seasons remaining on his contract after this year. When asked if the Canucks would buy out the contract, Gillis said: “We never even had a discussion about it; it never entered our thought process.”


Chris Young/The Canadian PressToronto Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer (left) is helped off the ice by John-Michael Liles during second period NHL hockey action against Philadelphia Flyers in Toronto on Monday February 11, 2013.
“We do a lot of cap planning well in advance and have multiple scenarios we could use to keep both [goaltenders],” Gillis told the station. “But I really think that there will come a time where the right thing for both of them is to only have one, and then develop another young goalie. It’s the right thing for us, and it’s going to be the right thing for them.”

Vancouver (7-2-2) held third place in the Western Conference standings heading into Tuesday night’s game against Minnesota.

“No one gave these guys enough credit in terms of the kind of people they were, how hard they work, how much they support one another,” Gillis told the station of his two hopeful starters. “We knew, going in, that if there wasn’t a deal for us that made sense, we were going to keep both of them in a shortened season and see how things played out.

“When you can put a guy in net every night, who gives you a chance to win every game, it’s a luxury that’s pretty hard to give up. You get used to it after a while.”


I was previously of the mind that Lu had to go this season as the team needed the return to strengthen other areas. With Kassian and Schroeder playing so well I'm not sure that's needed as much anymore. The D looks solid, the goalies are the best duo in hte league, and the forwards dont have a lot of holes other than maybe another 220 pound center who can match up with the big centers in the west. If that's available great, if not keep both goalies and make the trade in the summer. I would rather have the insurance if Gillis can't get something that really puts us over the top.


Plus with Lack out and an injury to Cory after a trade would totally screw the donkey as far as the 'Window' goes...
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5021
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Tciso and 1 guest