So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Care to dream?
I guess its safe to assume you're allowed to dream but nobody else is?

Just so we're all clear on this schtick of yours.

:roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: Western conference rivals, Luongo wont waive his NTC,
Do you like repeating after me, schmuck?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I guess its safe to assume you're allowed to dream but nobody else is?

Just so we're all clear on this schtick of yours.

:roll:
roll your eyes again...that was good.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I prefer dreams to nightmares...

I'm sure Lou would love to go to a team with a chance to win (ie: Chicago rumours). But why the hell would we help him do that, when it could come at our expense in round 2 or 3 (or 1?) of the playoffs? If he's going to St Louis, I'll take Tarasenko. If he's going to Chicago I'll take Marian Hossa+

If it's not a deal blowing MG out of the water, he shouldn't deal Luongo to a team that could end his employment.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I prefer dreams to nightmares...

I'm sure Lou would love to go to a team with a chance to win (ie: Chicago rumours). But why the hell would we help him do that, when it could come at our expense in round 2 or 3 (or 1?) of the playoffs? If he's going to St Louis, I'll take Tarasenko. If he's going to Chicago I'll take Marian Hossa+

If it's not a deal blowing MG out of the water, he shouldn't deal Luongo to a team that could end his employment.
Outside of Washington, there really isn't a good fit for a team to take Lou in the East, and I don't think McPhee is all that interested in Luongo. Nonis will not break the bank for Lou. Seems to be better trading partners in the western conference, but yeah, that ain't happening either.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Outside of Washington, there really isn't a good fit for a team to take Lou in the East, and I don't think McPhee is all that interested in Luongo. Nonis will not break the bank for Lou. Seems to be better trading partners in the western conference, but yeah, that ain't happening either.
I agree. A team in the West will pay more for him. But Luongo is the best player being traded, so I'd rather buy whatever we get back a year or two to develop. Facing Lou in the playoffs this year scares the shit out of me. I'd rather keep both of them with the cap being high this year.

Luongo NOT playing for St Lou or Chicago has value to us this year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:The Blues continue to struggle in the nets, lost 4-1 tonight. Elliott continues to crap the bed. They have the 2nd worst GA in the Western Conference. They are one of those team where an injection of quality goaltending could make them a Stanley Cup contender. I see a good fit, that is, if they were in the Eastern Conference. But there were rumors earlier of a possible Chicago deal, so why can't a Lou to St Lou deal be possible?
Because St. Loo is for sale and the team is close to being bankrupt? No chance he goes to St. Loo.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Blues continue to struggle in the nets, lost 4-1 tonight. Elliott continues to crap the bed. They have the 2nd worst GA in the Western Conference. They are one of those team where an injection of quality goaltending could make them a Stanley Cup contender. I see a good fit, that is, if they were in the Eastern Conference. But there were rumors earlier of a possible Chicago deal, so why can't a Lou to St Lou deal be possible?
Because St. Loo is for sale and the team is close to being bankrupt? No chance he goes to St. Loo.
Um, both Halak and Elliotts contracts come to an end after the 2013-2014 season. Halak will make 4.5 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 3,750,000 million. Elliott will make 1.9 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 1,800,000 million. They package Halak as part of a Lou trade, Elliott is gone after next year, just how the fuck is Luongo's $6.7 million (5.3 million cap hit) so terribly hard for the Blues to deal with after Elliott and Halak are out of the picture? Holy c(r)ow batman! Both Halak's and Elliotts contracts amount to the same as Luongo. Throw a cheapo back up behind Lou in St Lou, it becomes pretty much a hair bit more in price than the combo of Halak and Elliott. Totally do-able, ya schnauzer.

Even if they decide to keep Elliott as a back up in which everybody knows they won't cause he sucks, that is unless he takes a serious hair cut like he should. Luongo's contract is only 2 million more than Halak's? Is that breaking the fucking bank? Uh, no. For only 2 million they get a seriously good upgrade in nets. How is that not good business?

Andy MacDonald makes $4.7 million, he is off the books next year as he is a UFA this summer. His replacements? Rookies - Schwartz and/or Rattie.

Diehard, do your fucking homework before ya pms on me
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I think his point was that Halak is due 8.75 millon and Lou is due ~ 47 million (I know this year is pro-rated for both, but for argument's sake).

That is large amount of dollar value to commit for an organization that is not on the "making money" list. They got rid of a great hockey mind in Davidson, just to save a bit. The likelihood of taking on this type of contract is slim to none.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Blues are chronic money losers, according to Forbes (I know) to the tune of about $10m a year.

I don't think "just give up young cheap players in order to spend another 30% on your goaltender" is going to sound very persuasive to that franchise.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Um, both Halak and Elliotts contracts come to an end after the 2013-2014 season. Halak will make 4.5 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 3,750,000 million. Elliott will make 1.9 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 1,800,000 million. They package Halak as part of a Lou trade, Elliott is gone after next year, just how the fuck is Luongo's $6.7 million (5.3 million cap hit) so terribly hard for the Blues to deal with after Elliott and Halak are out of the picture? Holy c(r)ow batman! Both Halak's and Elliotts contracts amount to the same as Luongo. Throw a cheapo back up behind Lou in St Lou, it becomes pretty much a hair bit more in price than the combo of Halak and Elliott. Totally do-able, ya schnauzer.

Even if they decide to keep Elliott as a back up in which everybody knows they won't cause he sucks, that is unless he takes a serious hair cut like he should. Luongo's contract is only 2 million more than Halak's? Is that breaking the fucking bank? Uh, no. For only 2 million they get a seriously good upgrade in nets. How is that not good business?

Andy MacDonald makes $4.7 million, he is off the books next year as he is a UFA this summer. His replacements? Rookies - Schwartz and/or Rattie.

How's about this RD.....

Andy McDonald
Chris Steward
Patrick Berglund
Jamie Langenbrunner
Matt D'Agostini
Alex Pietrangelo
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole
Kris Russell

That's the list of players on St. Louis who will be UFA/RFA next year.

Stewart, Pietrangelo, and Shattenkirk, will all be getting raises, the latter pair likely substantial ones. I expect them both to be close to Edler's pay scale. Stewart will probably only go up about $500K, though it is conceivable he could get an offer for a bit more.....on the other hand, considering the market with the new cap he might take a haircut too.

They have at least 5 forward spots to fill and 4 holes on the blueline come July. Add in the fact that they will have a couple more holes to fill in planning ahead to 2014, and factor all of that in with the fact that they are a tight budget team and you see why Luongo doesn't fit there with his salary.

On top of all of that, the Canucks need to shed a bit of cap space in a deal that sends out Lou. They can't just dump him for some low salary prospects and a mid salary youngster, as that's not a possibility (at least not likely). Failing that they are going to want something worthwhile if it means taking back any think significant capwise. So absorbing a contract like Halak's isn't something that Gillis is going to want to consider at this point. In fact, given Halak's up and down nature, I don't think many teams will want to take him off of St. Louis' hands for anything worthwhile. Elliot's contract is indeed a bit more manageable for a potential trading partner with St. Louis. $1.9M isn't a terrible buyout if it comes down to that.

But there are plent of reasons why St. Louis isn't a destination for Luongo. One more would be that given their salary restrictions and upcoming RFA/UFA situation, they may not be a contending team, even with Luongo, come next season. So in that case Lou might not be willing to waive his NTC to go there.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lou for david backes. :D
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Um, both Halak and Elliotts contracts come to an end after the 2013-2014 season. Halak will make 4.5 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 3,750,000 million. Elliott will make 1.9 million this year and next year (last year of contract) with a cap hit of 1,800,000 million. They package Halak as part of a Lou trade, Elliott is gone after next year, just how the fuck is Luongo's $6.7 million (5.3 million cap hit) so terribly hard for the Blues to deal with after Elliott and Halak are out of the picture? Holy c(r)ow batman! Both Halak's and Elliotts contracts amount to the same as Luongo. Throw a cheapo back up behind Lou in St Lou, it becomes pretty much a hair bit more in price than the combo of Halak and Elliott. Totally do-able, ya schnauzer.

You said it yourself - Halak and Elliott are up soon. Lu has 9.5 years and over $40 million left on his deal. The Blues can sign a couple of goalies for a couple of million dollars or somewhere around $15 or $20 million over the next 9 years, or they can pay Lu over $40 million for the same term. I know you live in capland where nothing matters but cap hit, but businesses actually care about dollars spent, not cap hit.

I understand that business is not your strong suit, but for a team that is trying to sell itself the last thing they want is to lose more money, be that $2 million, $5 million or $10 million a season. It's not happening.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:I think his point was that Halak is due 8.75 millon and Lou is due ~ 47 million (I know this year is pro-rated for both, but for argument's sake).

That is large amount of dollar value to commit for an organization that is not on the "making money" list. They got rid of a great hockey mind in Davidson, just to save a bit. The likelihood of taking on this type of contract is slim to none.
Yep, in the real world dollars matters. In RD's world it doesn't. Must be nice to have the kind of money he has.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
You said it yourself - Halak and Elliott are up soon. Lu has 9.5 years and over $40 million left on his deal. The Blues can sign a couple of goalies for a couple of million dollars or somewhere around $15 or $20 million over the next 9 years, or they can pay Lu over $40 million for the same term. I know you live in capland where nothing matters but cap hit, but businesses actually care about dollars spent, not cap hit.

I understand that business is not your strong suit, but for a team that is trying to sell itself the last thing they want is to lose more money, be that $2 million, $5 million or $10 million a season. It's not happening.
This is a stupid argument cause Lou ain't ever gonna be a Blue NOT cause the Blues may or may not be able to afford him but because the Blues are in the Western Conf. and Lou would not waive to go there, that being said you do realize that even after you, I, Luongo, Elliott and Halak have long parted this earth that the Blues will still need a goalie? And that no. 1 goalies are expensive, I believe that over half the no. 1 starters in the league make $4 million and up. The rest are your Dubnyks, Lindbacks, Reimers, Holtby's blah, blah, blah and you do realize that Luongo only makes roughly a little more than $2million more than Halak, WOW! Breaking the fucking bank here! And that Elliott is consdered and expensive back up. You do realize that Halak is an easy trade cause his contract is over after the 2013/14 season. What GM's call a workable contract. You do realize that Andy '35 Year Old' McDonald who makes 4.7 million is a UFA at the end of this season, can you say "Hello Ty Rattie" and your inexpensive contract. Be prepared to see a lot of Ty Ratties in the league next year, getting the fast track to the NHL.

You do realize that after this season that Luongo has only 5 more seasons on his contract that pays him the 6 million something he is getting now, after that it goes to $3 million for one year, he will be the age Brodeur is now, then the last two years are $1 million each. Whoa, such a terrible contract. Ain't no fucking reason why Luongo can't be playing the game until he is 40. How old is Kiprusoff? how old is Thomas? How old is Brodeur? How old was Osgood when he quit, how old was Hasek? Luongo takes better care of himself than most NHL'ers out there, doesn't have a reputation for having injuries, ie Halak.