So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: urrite.

However, if Gillis can manage to move Lu and his salary, while bringing in another top player (rental or no) in the same deal, it makes far more sense to do so. This is where I think Weiss is an intriguing option. Yet to open up space simply to acquire someone else separately is a risky maneuver if Gillis doesn't have a secondary deal already in the works.

I'm just not prepared to give Gillis that much credit. :P
Good points.

Y'know, I could talk about Lou trades FOREVER.... oh wait. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: These 2 guys for RL next summer would be my choice for the team.
Like I said last summer to Dave, we ain't gonna get BOTH.

How about we make the trade I'm calling for tomorrow and then see about renting Perry/Getzlaf at the deadline?

Or can we afford the asking price?
Actually, if you can add Petrovic, Clemmensen and a higher pick now I probably do make it happen. The Luongo/Schneider dynamic hasn't been a factor yet but I wonder if Liut was parroting what his client has been feeling behind the scenes...so to speak.
Now that I think of it, Tallon would be an idiot to trade both young guys like that and he hasn't proven to be an idiot in the past when it comes to building strong teams through drafting(never mind his record regarding re-upping RFAs)
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: While we're harping on what people said months ago, how come you're not still talking about how Gillis sucks and can't draft? Do the performances by Schroeder, Hodgson, Tanev (not drafted i know, still counts), Kassian change that? Looks to me like Gillis knows how to find young talent even while drafting at the end of each round. Still have Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado and Lack on the way too.
So, are you calling Schroeder a bona-fide NHL'er? Zero Goals. We need more time with him before we can start screaming, "REAL DEAL"! Hodgson and Kassian cancel each other out. In case you have forgotten, one was trade for the other. Tanev was not a draft pick. Not all of Gillis college and junior league free agent signings have worked out, ie the other Schroeder that we signed out of the Portland Winterhawks and that Oberg dude is it? Jensen, Gaunce and Corrado and Lack have proved nothing at the NHL level. If you need an education on highly touted draft picks never making the grade, see recent talk here about the 2007 NHL Draft Class.

Trust me dude, Gillis draft record is quite dismal. It's no secret, the jack asses on 1040 even go on about, even Gillis no. 1 fan Tony Gallagher has brought it up.
In the immortal words of Matt Damon - how you like them apples? Now Schroeder has 2 goals, what else you going to harp on him for? I know that nothing counts for you with Gillis but the draft, guys like Hamhuis, Kassian, Tanev, Garrison, Booth, Ballard, he gets zero credit for because only drafting counts! I'd Pratt and Taylor talk about his drafting it must be right because those guys really know their stuff!

With this in mind, he's drafted a point a game player (Hodgson) and a guy who has looked very solid (Schroeder) in the past few years but no credit there either.

Gillis wasn't even here in 2007 so not sure why that counts. Keep on harping while the rest of us enjoy watching a winning team - some people are just never happy.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:Now Schroeder has 2 goals, what else you going to harp on him for?
I remember when Steve Kariya, Potatoes buddy - Jeff Tambellini and Bill Muckalt were once lighting it up. That being said, I like Schroeder, got hight hopes for him...but it's still way too early to see where Schroeder's NHL career is going.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
Gillis wasn't even here in 2007 so not sure why that counts. Keep on harping while the rest of us enjoy watching a winning team - some people are just never happy.
Dude, go back and read my post. I wasn't making any correlation between Gillis and the 2007 NHL Draft. Holy c(r)ow
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Now Schroeder has 2 goals, what else you going to harp on him for?
I remember when Steve Kariya, Potatoes buddy - Jeff Tambellini and Bill Muckalt were once lighting it up. That being said, I like Schroeder, got hight hopes for him...but it's still way too early to see where Schroeder's NHL career is going.
I get the feeling Spud and his crew have the contract for repainting the apartment all these guys use.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Dude, go back and read my post. I wasn't making any correlation between Gillis and the 2007 NHL Draft. Holy c(r)ow
You were talking about Gillis' drafting, then threw out that the 2007 draft was crap - I took that as you were lumping them together. If I inferred incorrectly my bad.

Schroeder looks like a complete young player, and that's not something I can remember seeing around these parts for a long time. Who would have been the last guy to come in and look like he's ready to contribute - maybe Bure? Almost every young guy needs time to work on things whereas Schroeder has a lot of the characteristics already needed to play in the Nucks' system. Credit to MacTavish and Noel for getting him this far, now he needs to get better at everything and become a solid second liner.

Steve Kariya was butter soft and got lucky scoring a few goals, Muckalt was a grinder who started well and then tailed off completely, Tambellini never looked anything like what Schroeder has done and you could tell he wasn't going to be a long term fix. It's very early but it's Schroeder's whole game that I like, he's a good all around player and not a one trick pony like many young kids are.

For me, if he can become a Derek Roy type player in the future that's a great asset to have. Good start, let's see how he does from here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Does anyone think that St Louis could be a dark horse in the Luongo market? Elliott is shitting the bed and Halak seems to be a flash in the pan has been?

Hitchcock is a defense first kind of coach me thinks he would love to have Lou in to stabilize the nets.

They have loads of good young forwards. Jaden Schwartz, Ty Rattie maybe?

I know I'm dreaming, they are conferences enemies and not sure Lou would waive for St Lou.

Outside of that they are a perfect fit
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Rattie and Schwartz while talented are 5' 11" and 5' 9" they are also light and even if they bulked up would not match the bigger, stronger edict put out by Gillis.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: I get the feeling Spud and his crew have the contract for repainting the apartment all these guys use.

LOL you are closer to the truth then you know. I'm speaking here of Tamby, I dont recall pulling for the others.

And Dude....

As time goes on your arguments against GMMG's scouting are starting to fall appart (just like most of your other criticism).

We currently have three twenty two year olds playing well for us. Now you may want to ignore Tanev but he was still scouted and recruited by the organization, so Gillis gets credit.

We also have 3 more players in Corrado, Lack and Jensen who have a good chance to see the NHL in some capacity next season.

If Schroder keeps moving forward and just one from that group makes it next year that gives Gillis 4 quality young players over a 3 year period.

Given where he's been drafting from and how many picks have been traded, I would say that's a very solid record.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

here is a thought from outside our board:

Honestly, I still think it would be an interesting idea if Gillis packaged Kesler with Lou in a trade this year. Look at how we've done so far this year without Kesler.......and with one of our star goalies sitting on the bench. You trade one of our goalies along with Kes, and you could bring back an extremely significant piece that is in 100% game shape.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Now THAT would be a bold move!!!
I'm not against trading Kess either.
Heard Ferraro talking about injuries the other day and he stated that your body never quite performs the way it did before.
Well, Kessler has had 3 surgeries since his phenomenal performance of 2010/11.
I'm pretty sure he has a NTC,and I would love to have him prove me wrong,but i think we've seen his best already.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canuck-One wrote:Rattie and Schwartz while talented are 5' 11" and 5' 9" they are also light and even if they bulked up would not match the bigger, stronger edict put out by Gillis.
Hey Listen, whoever you are...have you not noticed? Five Nine is back. No, not the 5:00 to 9:00 dope smoking Blobby Mac shift after working 9:00 to 5:00. The Conachers, Gallaghers, Schroeders are taking over the league like gangbusters.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote: Given where he's been drafting from and how many picks have been traded, I would say that's a very solid record.
You cats have got to stop using this lame argument. A lot of teams have great success late in the first round, outside the first round. See St. Louis, see the Bruins. When you have Mike Gillis no. 1 fan Tony Gallagher slagging his drafting record, you know it's bad. Stop it Pot, you're killing me here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: A lot of teams have great success late in the first round
Apparently Vancouver? No?
If you need air...call it in