So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Ray Ferraro made a good point in that Garrison will never score 16 goals again, cause teams are aware of him now, sort of like when Aucoin scored a crap load of goals from the point that one season and never did again. Unfortunately for Garrison, this is his bread and butter so if he isn't doing this then where does he make it up in other area's? Ya got to admit, he ain't the most fleet of foot and can be a bit duh defesnively. We will see, it's still early.
Garrison is a very good defensive defenceman. If he puts up 5 - 8 goals and plays 22 min a game it's money well spent. He and Mike Weaver were one of THE best shutdown pairings 2 years back and Garrison played in all situations with the Panthers the last three seasons.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lots of people have said Garrison will probably never score 16 goals again. People on this board, even.

He's not going to be surprising people with his shot, he's not going to be playing in the godawful Southeast division, he's not going to be playing on the blueline with Brian Campbell and he's not going to be playing on a powerplay unit where he is the only weapon (he led the Panthers in PPG last year).

As for his defensive play - well you're right that it's still early, he's on a new team and with a new partner (most of the time it's been Edler who is learning a new position and isn't a rock solid guy in his own zone at the best of times). Even still he's been on for 3 even strength goals against (Edler and Bieksa are at 4, Hamhuis at 5 for what it's worth).
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Ray Ferraro made a good point in that Garrison will never score 16 goals again, cause teams are aware of him now, sort of like when Aucoin scored a crap load of goals from the point that one season and never did again. Unfortunately for Garrison, this is his bread and butter so if he isn't doing this then where does he make it up in other area's? Ya got to admit, he ain't the most fleet of foot and can be a bit duh defesnively. We will see, it's still early.
Garrison is a very good defensive defenceman. If he puts up 5 - 8 goals and plays 22 min a game it's money well spent. He and Mike Weaver were one of THE best shutdown pairings 2 years back and Garrison played in all situations with the Panthers the last three seasons.
I always liked Mike Weaver. I'd prefer him to Alberts as our #7 Not as big, or tough, but smarter. (but, is that really saying much :) )
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Agreed - don't really see the issue with Garrison. He's been rock solid defensively for the most part though he hasn't been able to get his shot on net very often just yet. He makes the safe play almost all the time and knows how to take his man out of the play.

For a guy who is just getting used to a new system to already play this well, especially given no training camp - to me it shows that he's a very solid part of this team.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Most of Garrison's 16 were on the PP. So if defenders are onto his shot and pressuring the point, they are leaving the down low play more open for the Sedins.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Diehard1 wrote:For a guy who is just getting used to a new system to already play this well, especially given no training camp - to me it shows that he's a very solid part of this team.
Not to mention he spent the off season recovering from an injury and subsequent surgery.

Garrison would make a strange whipping boy at this point.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

herb wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:For a guy who is just getting used to a new system to already play this well, especially given no training camp - to me it shows that he's a very solid part of this team.
Not to mention he spent the off season recovering from an injury and subsequent surgery.

Garrison would make a strange whipping boy at this point.
Consider the source herb. :lol:
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Most of Garrison's 16 were on the PP. So if defenders are onto his shot and pressuring the point, they are leaving the down low play more open for the Sedins.
Good point.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Consider the source herb. :lol:
Oh, of course! :D

Booth is injured - can't bitch about him.

Kassian has had a fantastic start to the season - can't bitch about him.

"Journeyman" Higgens played great against Edmonton - can't bitch about him.

The result of Gillis' worst move to date, Keith Ballard, has been playing well this season - can't bitch about him.

A Gillis rookie draft pick (Schroeder) has been playing well in a prominent role - can't bitch about that.

The well is running dry when Garrison is being picked on! Who's next? The dismal PP? Fire Newell Brown 10 games in!
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Herb said:
The well is running dry when Garrison is being picked on! Who's next? The dismal PP? Fire Newell Brown 10 games in!
Hmmm or maybe someone will actually call out the Sedin's ( Yeah I know on this board its like pissing in/on the HOLY GRAIL) ?
2 goals .. both on the PP.. no goals 5 on 5.. Dude hasn't got around to them yet..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tiger wrote:Herb said:
Hmmm or maybe someone will actually call out the Sedin's ( Yeah I know on this board its like pissing in/on the HOLY GRAIL) ?
2 goals .. both on the PP.. no goals 5 on 5.. Dude hasn't got around to them yet..
Because the Sedins are actually playing slick hockey, not for a full 60, but when they are good they are superstar good, creating and making tactical skillful plays, that is even making Kassian look like the 2nd coming of a Cam Neely/Bertuzzi/Hartnell/Lucic hybrid.

Garrison well yeah, he's out there being mediocre and not looking too awful.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes what bums.....I can think of dozens of other players we could plug in as UFAs for the same if not less who would do more than those shitty sisters.

Maybe you should stick to math.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:
Because the Sedins are actually playing slick hockey, not for a full 60, but when they are good they are superstar good, creating and making tactical skillful plays, that is even making Kassian look like the 2nd coming of a Cam Neely/Bertuzzi/Hartnell/Lucic hybrid.

Garrison well yeah, he's out there being mediocre and not looking too awful.
What did the dude eat for dinner ?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Because the Sedins are actually playing slick hockey, not for a full 60, but when they are good they are superstar good, creating and making tactical skillful plays, that is even making Kassian look like the 2nd coming of a Cam Neely/Bertuzzi/Hartnell/Lucic hybrid.
It's difficult to decipher your writing most of the time, but you're saying Kassian's strong start has nothing to do with his individual preparation, skills and execution and has everything to do with his linemates? Riiiiight. Too bad Kassian isn't capable of making his own "tactical skillful plays", huh?
SKYO wrote:Garrison well yeah, he's out there being mediocre and not looking too awful.
That's your analysis?? So he's awful, but not too awful? Mediocre is synonymous with awful then? Great stuff here!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
What did the dude eat for dinner ?
SPAM
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society