2013 Season Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: 2013 Season Injury Thread

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:Sekeres tweeting that Tomlinson believes Kesler could be in the lineup on Saturday.

Giddy up.
It's just Tomlinson's speculation.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:Taylor Hall has had shoulder issues as well, hasn't he?
I believe he had a shoulder injury as well, that's just looking over his page at TSN.ca so I couldn't say whether it was of the chronic/nagging variety.. don't really recall.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

If Kesler is ready to go that's great.

I kind of like him getting those extra practice days in next week but it'll be even nicer having him in the lineup ASAP to bang off that rust.

As long as he's 100%!!

:thumbs:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:I believe that's what my post said. In my view, its good news.
I know you did. I just dislike his speculation is far off the mark.
Ben Kuzma‏@benkuzma

Kesler: "The shoulder is a big thing. I have to make sure it's 100 per cent. The range of motion is there, but strength isn't there at all."
It seems like it might be a week or two away at the very least.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Jovocop wrote:
Mondi wrote:I believe that's what my post said. In my view, its good news.
I know you did. I just dislike his speculation is far off the mark.
Ben Kuzma‏@benkuzma

Kesler: "The shoulder is a big thing. I have to make sure it's 100 per cent. The range of motion is there, but strength isn't there at all."
saturday it is then.....hahahahaha no one knows anything...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Where does Schroeder fit once Kesler is back? He fairs well in his own zone, but lack the size for the third/fourth lines imo.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

CFP! wrote:Where does Schroeder fit once Kesler is back? He fairs well in his own zone, but lack the size for the third/fourth lines imo.
As has been suggested by a few others, I think we try him on the wing.

Hell he may even work well with Kesler as he does see the ice well and may be able to feed him the puck.

I think he's played well enough to earn a look as a 3rd line winger spot at least, maybe some spot duty with Kesler.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I thought Schroeder had been tried at the wing at lower levels, with no success.

I would expect Schroeder to continue to play a similar role that he has thusfar with the team, put him with Raymond and whoever (Hansen for now I guess) and try to match them up with the opponents' third and fourth best lines and win those matchups.

Put Kesler and Higgins with someone (Burrows?) and give them the tougher matchups.

That being said, maybe it's worth putting Kesler and Schroeder together.. although perhaps putting Kesler on the right wing allows him to ease into action a bit more - lighter defensive duties, not having to take as many draws, etc.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Ben Kuzma‏@benkuzma

saturday it is then.....hahahahaha no one knows anything...
Not so optimistic.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02/06 ... re-at-all/
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Ryan Kesler didn’t sound like he’s close to returning to the lineup.

As much as Alain Vigneault marvelled at how good the Vancouver Canucks centre looked Wednesday in his second practice after being medically cleared for light contact following offseason left shoulder and wrist surgeries, the former Selke Trophy winner offered a more reserved assessment.

“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” said Kesler. “There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.

“The wrist gets achy once in a while, but nothing out of the ordinary. The shoulder is the biggest thing. I have to make sure it’s 100 per cent and the range of motion is there, but strength isn’t there at all. Once we get home, I’m really going to hammer that and take it day by day.”

Last season, Kesler was cleared for light contact after summer surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip and he returned to the lineup in just 14 days. He laboured through a season and struggled to score 22 goals before having the shoulder surgery May 8 and the wrist procedure June 27.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he stressed.

Vigneault seemed more hopeful, although he understands Kesler has yet to be medically cleared to play.

“To me, he looks real good on the ice and doing everything out there that a players can possibly do,” said the Canucks coach. “I’m not sure exactly where they are on the medical side. I don’t get involved until a player comes to me and the medical staff has cleared him to play. I don’t know what to tell you. On the ice, it doesn’t look like baby steps. It looks like leaps and bounds.”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Typical AV chomping at the bit to have players come back early. He's the same asshole who questioned Willie Mitchell's toughness a few years back.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I wouldn't care if came back a month before the playoffs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Typical AV chomping at the bit to have players come back early. He's the same asshole who questioned Willie Mitchell's toughness a few years back.
Interestingly enough Blobert, Dutter has voiced similar sentiments regarding Willie's ability to return to the Kings' lineup this season. Take it for what it's worth.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Typical AV chomping at the bit to have players come back early. He's the same asshole who questioned Willie Mitchell's toughness a few years back.
Interestingly enough Blobert, Dutter has voiced similar sentiments regarding Willie's ability to return to the Kings' lineup this season. Take it for what it's worth.
Yup, Sutter one week ago:

Mitchell was medically cleared to return to the lineup last week, but has refused to do so. After he refused to even skate on Sunday or Monday, Kings coach Darryl Sutter said that he's not "a doctor or a psychologist" so he can't explain it.

Sutter today:

"You know what, he's got doctor's clearance," Sutter said Wednesday. "He's got trainers' clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself. So do it."

Sutter is not a psychologist, but he IS an asshole! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Speculation is just speculation. Tomlinson is a few steps closer to the team than any of us, as is AV.

I'll go with their assessment (and the player's of course) rather than just guessing that because Kelser had a bad year last year it was purely because he came back too early and that it will happen again unless he stays out another two weeks.
FFS sake Mondi did you even read the article:

Last season, Kesler was cleared for light contact after summer surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip and he returned to the lineup in just 14 days. He laboured through a season and struggled to score 22 goals before having the shoulder surgery May 8 and the wrist procedure June 27.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” - Ryan Kesler

“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” said Kesler. “There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.

“The wrist gets achy once in a while, but nothing out of the ordinary. The shoulder is the biggest thing. I have to make sure it’s 100 per cent and the range of motion is there, but strength isn’t there at all. Once we get home, I’m really going to hammer that and take it day by day.”

Yeah, so he'll start to really hammer that this weekend. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:

Was going to mention that. The big difference is that Willie has been medically cleared to play but says he doesn't feel like he is 100%. No surprise as we know there is a huge difference between being medically cleared to play and playing at 100%.

In Vancouver there were questions about whether he would have come back had the Canucks been willing to re-negotiate an extension. They were not willing too until seasons end. He made it clear that without an extension he was not going to come back from the concussion until he was 100% and under contract somewhere.

I have no doubt Willie did suffer a major concussion. He had the whole light and noise sensitivity, the fatigue and cognitive problems. So I don't blame him for his stance. I don't blame him now either. Too many players come back before they are 100% and the risks they take can be career ending or in the least career altering. So good for Kesler saying he wants to be 100% this time around.
The only HW the Canucks need