LISTEN UP: IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING THIS SITE

Forum to ask technical questions about the board or make suggestions for the site.

Moderator: Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

LISTEN UP: IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING THIS SITE

Post by Brian CC »

Today I received a letter from a law firm about defamatory comments regarding an individual that were posted on these forums. I strongly suggest that some of you become familiar with the terms of use policy you agreed to when you signed up on these forums.

The post in question has been deleted to save myself from being sued, which as made very clear in the letter I received.

Some of you really need to think twice about what you're posting on this site, and I can tell you this, if it doesn't stop this forum will simply disappear. I don't need this grief in my life just so that you can be keyboard warriors and not be accountable for what you post here.

Again, please read the terms of use policy below that YOU AGREED to when signing up for this forum, particularly in this case, the paragraph in bold.

There will be no more warnings, if this continues, this board will be gone.

By accessing “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board”, “http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Vancouver Canucks Hockey :: CanucksCorner.com :: Message Board” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: LISTEN UP: IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING THIS SITE

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I didn't see the post in question. What or who was it regarding ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

It's not important, what is important is that people follow the terms set out below. I am dead serious...if it continues, this forum is history.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Brian CC wrote:It's not important, what is important is that people follow the terms set out below. I am dead serious...if it continues, this forum is history.
Fair enough.... i wasn't aware anything like that was posted.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Neither was I until I was sent the letter.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Brian, at the risk of rocking the boat a little, which is not my intent at all here, I do think that a little mo clarification needed here.

The definition of defamatory can be pretty broad. I mean in all reality members here border on that definition on a regular basis with just some of the slag that is hurled back and forth. It could also be construed that some of our comments regarding Canucks players could be deemed defamatory. So are we talking about a former member who was ridiculed on here in a personal way, or is this an outside individual who has an over active lawyer and agent that got wind of something said about their client and wanted to shut it up.

I don't think we need specific details, but something a little less vague would be nice. Legal agreements are so blanketing in their statements, I can see just with a perusal of the TOA we all agreed to when signing up that we are all probably at risk of breaching them at some point.

Again, not trying to poke a bear or anything here.....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote:...an outside individual who has an over active lawyer and agent that got wind of something said about their client and wanted to shut it up.
This was the case, and although we can slag a player's abilities, it's not a good idea to spread a rumour about his personal life. Player or otherwise.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

There was a post made here that made some very serious accusations towards an individual that were slanderous in nature and without any facts to back them up.

This is a hockey site, and some people tend to forget that or think because they sit behind a keyboard they can say whatever they want. The terms of use for this site are clearly outlined and this post clearly broke those terms.

That's all I'm saying on the matter, and I hope everyone makes themselves familiar with these terms and abides by them from here on out.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i'm sorry...i ran out of weed and got all emotional...
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Respect, if you're to blame and you're outing this on an internet board, you're for real. (or is it just a trick?)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

sorry Brian,that lockout was makin us all a li'l crazy

we will behave,

no worries,

seriously.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

If you play any of my posts backwards on an 8 track player you'll find slander all over the place. Lucky the "player in question" and his "lawyer of record" don't own an 8 track.

Edit: you know you've arrived when someone spends money trying to shut you up.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Brian, I assume you haven't been reading much of the threads lately. The inane, obscene and insulting posts are becoming endemic again. I suggest you check out the thread on the "Roster" (in the Canucks forum), especially the last couple of pages or so. It's gotten to the point that this pack of idiots is ruining every discussion by their back and forth obscenity or insult competition. If this doesn't change, I don't see the point in visiting this site anymore.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Any chance this thread can be moved off whatever sticky/lock its on??

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&start=45

The last post by Skyo is pure gold skyo. lol