GDT: Feb 4 - Canucks @ Oil 6:30 PM - SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Feb 4 - Canucks @ Oil 6:30 PM - SNet

Post by herb »

coco_canuck wrote:Other than the fact that it's too early to write Schroeder off, what I've seen so far in this small sample size is very encouraging.
Encouraging is a very good way to characterize Schroeder's play thus far. I didn't know what to expect. He was drafted as a skilled guy, but has put up pretty mediocre AHL numbers (100 points in 178 games...meh). He's done nothing to display he's a can't miss top six prospect, while on the flip side he is not displaying any of the typical symptoms of a guy who just ain't cut for the grind of NHL hockey (laziness, poor defensive effort, floating, dumb penalties, etc.).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe AV has been sheltering Schroeder's zone starts at all like we have seen with other young centers, which is another encouraging sign.

We will see.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hope you guys turn out to be right.

It's not like he's been bad or anything, I just don't see a high enough raw skill level to believe he will be a top-6 NHLer. He gets outmuscled in the faceoff circle pretty consistently so I definitely don't see him making it as a pivot, especially with the way AV values offensive zone faceoff wins.

Time will tell, but I'm not feeling it the way I felt it with Hodgson or even Kesler. You could see those players had something special to their game and outside of quickness I don't see that with Schroeder. I will compliment him on his defensive positioning and willingness to go into the corners though.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Another positive aspect of Schroeder's game at the NHL level so far is that he seems to have a knack for hitting his wingers at full stride.

It's been great for Mason Raymond and I imagine it would play right into David Booth's 'one move' as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:Another positive aspect of Schroeder's game at the NHL level so far is that he seems to have a knack for hitting his wingers at full stride.

It's been great for Mason Raymond and I imagine it would play right into David Booth's 'one move' as well.
David 'Taylor Hall Blinders' Booth's game does not suit the 'heads up' style of game that Schroeder and MayRay play. It's too much of a thinking mans game for ole 'one move' Booth.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:Another positive aspect of Schroeder's game at the NHL level so far is that he seems to have a knack for hitting his wingers at full stride.

David 'Taylor Hall Blinders' Booth's game does not suit the 'heads up' style of game that Schroeder and MayRay play. It's too much of a thinking mans game for ole 'one move' Booth.
Now who's taking the bait? :sly:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

It was pretty great to see Tanev rewarded for all his solid defensive play by finally getting a goal last night. The kid is built like a twig but can really take a hit, and he has to be the calmest rookie defenceman I've ever had the pleasure of watching in a Canucks sweater.

Also great to see the guys go bonkers for him when he scored. :lol: Good team-bonding moment last night.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A couple of things last night that took Edmonton off their game. Both were injuries. When they lost a D man and were forced into a 5 man rotation it caught up to them. There were a lot of missed assignments and cluster fuc&s resulting in a lot of odd man rushes for the Canucks. The second injury changed their ability to ice an effective third line and hurt them in the FO circle.

Both are signs of a young team with precious little experience and depth beyond their bounty of high flying young guns. Heck we struggle in games when we get reduced to 5 D men and our depth is a lot better. I just think Edmonton got worn down as the game went on and could not sustain the pressure they had in the first 10 minutes. It was one of those games where you just felt the Canucks could come back if they kept the pressure on and they did.

They may make the playoffs this year but they don't currently have the depth to go far.

I do like how over at Cowpuke they are all over Edmonton for being a bottom feeding team and yet it is the Flames that sit at the bottom. Talk about denial. Edmonton is up and coming, a few key positional players away from making a strike and becoming a regular playoff contender. The Flames are going no where now that they have reached the bottom.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:
Mëds wrote:How many more $5M fuck ups do we have to tolerate from #23..
Gee, it might be worth waiting for Edler's cap hit to catch up to that figure (nevermind his salary, in October 2014 :crazy: ) to start filling your boots with the whole "we paid $5m for this?!" routine.

Of course as you said yourself you've been on his case for years. I don't think his salary really matters to guys like you or Pauser. He can be an All Star, he can be the team's most productive defenseman, but as long as he blows his coverage, or turns over the puck to create a chance the other way every now and then, some posters will just keep bringing out the knives.

How many offensive defensemen in this league produce as much as Edler, are less prone to unsteadiness and don't make millions more than him? Maybe you'd prefer Dennis Wideman or James Wisniewski or Matt Carle?
Seeing all the back-and-forth about Edler reminded me of another ex-Canuck - 'ole Jovo-cop. Is it me, or are there some similarities between the two? Both are capable of solid defence but suffer head-smacking brain-farts. Both can move the puck and have howitzer shots. High-risk/high-reward - except their personalities could not be more different. How much was Jovo making at his peak? Just sayin...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Lancer wrote:
dbr wrote:
Mëds wrote:How many more $5M fuck ups do we have to tolerate from #23..
Gee, it might be worth waiting for Edler's cap hit to catch up to that figure (nevermind his salary, in October 2014 :crazy: ) to start filling your boots with the whole "we paid $5m for this?!" routine.

Of course as you said yourself you've been on his case for years. I don't think his salary really matters to guys like you or Pauser. He can be an All Star, he can be the team's most productive defenseman, but as long as he blows his coverage, or turns over the puck to create a chance the other way every now and then, some posters will just keep bringing out the knives.

How many offensive defensemen in this league produce as much as Edler, are less prone to unsteadiness and don't make millions more than him? Maybe you'd prefer Dennis Wideman or James Wisniewski or Matt Carle?
Seeing all the back-and-forth about Edler reminded me of another ex-Canuck - 'ole Jovo-cop. Is it me, or are there some similarities between the two? Both are capable of solid defence but suffer head-smacking brain-farts. Both can move the puck and have howitzer shots. High-risk/high-reward - except their personalities could not be more different. How much was Jovo making at his peak? Just sayin...

I don't get all this Edler bashing. What do you want him to do besides lead the team in points, ninth in league defenseman points,and used an average of 25 min. a game? Christ hes probably underpaid.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
An idiot such as my myself? :lol:

Time to take your methadone Royaldunce, because that sounds alarmingly close to a personal attack! You are a very angry fellow my friend, and we should hash this out down at creeper's place.

Look,I wasn't trying to make you urinate all over your Eberle jersey. Heck, between the nightly bedwettings and all the crack-pipe burns, that thing must be looking as haggard as the last tranny you "rescued" in your uninsured cargo van.

Chin up RD, things will get better. I mean they have to right? :lol:
I struck a nerve :mex:
Wait…. you get smacked down like a bitch... then you tell us that was what you wanted?? :shock:

Speaking of smacking down bitches: IN YO FACE "FAB FOUR"!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

okcanuck wrote: I don't get all this Edler bashing. What do you want him to do besides lead the team in points, ninth in league defenseman points,and used an average of 25 min. a game? Christ hes probably underpaid.
Yeah and do folks appreciate the fact he has been moved to the right side and all that entails?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
okcanuck wrote: I don't get all this Edler bashing. What do you want him to do besides lead the team in points, ninth in league defenseman points,and used an average of 25 min. a game? Christ hes probably underpaid.
Yeah and do folks appreciate the fact he has been moved to the right side and all that entails?

He was moved back was not to the left?

A team nemeses is finding that elusive right sided D man. We seem to have a keeper in Tanev but landing another for the top 4 would be good. Of course that would mean getting rid of one of the left sided D man we currently have.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Point is he's spent most of the season on the right (wrong) side... and with different partners.

Ballard is gonna hafta be the odd man out eventually.

Edler - New RH Guy
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev

I know he's been having a good season so far, but Ballard is gonzo alonso.

Ballard worked his ass off to get into top shape to get a head start in a shortened season.

Folks will catch up.

He'll be the odd man out eventually, no doot aboot it. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

herb wrote:- He was always reported as being a very strong (powerful) guy. Strength doesn't look like an issue (at this point)... One thing that has surprised me is that Schroeder has been pretty good along the boards.
Spot on. Schroeder has great balance and leg strength. That's good enough for him to be competitive along the boards; being shorter* can give a little leverage and maybe make use of his hands. During the regular season.

Unless he learns to be a lot pricklier, he's going to have a hard time in the playoffs when getting whacked in the head with random elbows one after another while along the boards isn't going to be called. With Raymond and Hansen as wings, there's no locational deterrent. If a dman comes in to protect him, that opens a hole for the opposition forwards to make a foray.

I"m really rooting for the kid to succeed, but is he a Gillis Regular Season/Playoffs Moneyball misread?

*biomechanics is complicated
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The comparisons to Gionta, St. Louis and Parise (though, I'd say ZP's in a different weight class, perhaps Camalleri is more appropriate) when dissecting Schroeder's game is relevant.

While I question what Schroeder's upside really is, since he's really only dominated a given league once (NCAA freshman season), I do see signs of enough ability to stick around for the long term. His willingness to go to the dirty areas are noted, but he will always need to play this way or he'll be destined for Europe. He's shown the awareness to play a decent two-way game, so if his defensive play does continue to improve, it will only increase his chances for success.

At the end of the day, his level of commitment is the only thing holding him back from succeeding, injuries aside. But if you want to compare his game to that of the aforementioned three, allowing him to develop on the wing might be his best recipe for success moving forward.