Canucks goalie controversy discussion thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks goalie controversy discussion thread

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:I wonder how Blobby Mac is handling his Boi - Schneider's fall from grace?

It's the Luongo show now.
No "fall from grace" involved, the Canucks have two top-tier goaltenders.
Quality performances from Lu will only raise his trade value
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

No controversy indeed.

1) The better Luongo plays, the more return we'll be able to fetch; at the same time the team is also benefiting from his outstanding plays to keep up the rapid pace in this shortened season. It's a win-win situation.
2) Worst case is that we don't trade Luongo this season and have two top goalies sharing the games. It can only be a good thing for us. For other teams, it's just bad news. Because on any given night facing the Canucks, they have to play against a top goalie instead of a back-up. Other teams can only be jealous of our top-tier goaltending tandem.
3) Come playoff time, who knows what would happen. If Luongo will still be here, he could be that extra insurance we have in net. If not, then we know that time we'd have gotten some help from his trade.

Controversy??

Nah.

Schneider knows he's going to be here.
Luongo knows for sure he won't be here but not sure when.
AV just knows that he has two ace cards to play with and is not worried about the schedule or opponent's match-up.
Meanwhile, MG sitting there laughing at Toronto, Philly, or any other teams that lack a true no.1 starter, while waiting for the worthy offer.
In this shortened season, this situation can not be any better for the Canucks in my opinion.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I don't understand why people think there is a controversy here. We have the best goalie tandem in the league. What if Luongo had been traded in the off-season and Schneider couldn't handle the load . I've said from the get-go that I'm not convinced he can. He's looked somewhat shaky so far and his european experience during the lock-out was not impressive.

I like the idea of having both of them around as insurance especially in a shortened season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:I don't understand why people think there is a controversy here. We have the best goalie tandem in the league. What if Luongo had been traded in the off-season and Schneider couldn't handle the load . I've said from the get-go that I'm not convinced he can. He's looked somewhat shaky so far and his european experience during the lock-out was not impressive.

I like the idea of having both of them around as insurance especially in a shortened season.
Much to the chagrin of Blobby Mack, I am of the opinion that we should be keeping Luongo instead of Schneider, why? Cause we will not get full value in return for what Luongo provides for this team but we would with Schneider. It's smart business.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I am pleased with Lou's play. He looks loose and like he is having fun. i have enjoyed his taking potshots at elements of the media and even his little "ode to the shoot out poem" he made. It's good to see Lou finally being Lou.

All this said, I still want to see Cory get the start against the oilers and I want to see him play like a boss. If we do in fact have two number 1s then we need both playing like bosses and at this juncture. Lou is in the zone. Now lets get Cory there as well.

I am still not happy with the quality of our defensive coverage and damn do we every need more offence... But it seems to be coming slowly. Just wish the process would quicken.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

"@strombone1: Being a backup is a lot funner than I anticipated........." Love it

Too funny. Maybe Schneids should pump his tires a bit
If you need air...call it in
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

CrzyCanuck wrote:No controversy indeed.

1) The better Luongo plays, the more return we'll be able to fetch; at the same time the team is also benefiting from his outstanding plays to keep up the rapid pace in this shortened season. It's a win-win situation.
2) Worst case is that we don't trade Luongo this season and have two top goalies sharing the games. It can only be a good thing for us. For other teams, it's just bad news. Because on any given night facing the Canucks, they have to play against a top goalie instead of a back-up. Other teams can only be jealous of our top-tier goaltending tandem.
3) Come playoff time, who knows what would happen. If Luongo will still be here, he could be that extra insurance we have in net. If not, then we know that time we'd have gotten some help from his trade.

Controversy??

Nah.

Schneider knows he's going to be here.
Luongo knows for sure he won't be here but not sure when.
AV just knows that he has two ace cards to play with and is not worried about the schedule or opponent's match-up.
Meanwhile, MG sitting there laughing at Toronto, Philly, or any other teams that lack a true no.1 starter, while waiting for the worthy offer.
In this shortened season, this situation can not be any better for the Canucks in my opinion.
An excellent assessment of the situation.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

See Mike Liut acting like a whiny ***** today?
Canuck Cory Schneider’s agent hopes Roberto Luongo trade comes sooner rather than later

'We were hoping this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games,' says Mike Liut

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ca ... z2JzOrLO67
Whatever happened to the team comes first - not individuals attitude? :hmmm:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Yeah. I saw this as well and I think it lends some evidence to the comments Cory made after the prior game that struck me as odd.

The question is, does AV come back with Lou again or does he play Schneider... and then does that situation look like a squeaky wheel gets the grease moment where the person to complain (albeit via agent) get the start.

I really hope AV and MG got this covered. While it can be spun as an embarassment of riches, it can also blow up in their faces if they aren't careful.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Outside of the first 26 minutes of the season, Schneids has a .935% save percentage. There really is no controversy. Lou is playing hot, getting the CoHo treatment, and has a .949% save percentage since the first game of the season too. There are a heck of a lot of teams that need to be looking at either of these guys as their new starters, and GMMG is waiting patiently as teams like Tarana go 1-5 at home to start the season.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tciso wrote:Outside of the first 26 minutes of the season, Schneids has a .935% save percentage. There really is no controversy. Lou is playing hot, getting the CoHo treatment, and has a .949% save percentage since the first game of the season too. There are a heck of a lot of teams that need to be looking at either of these guys as their new starters, and GMMG is waiting patiently as teams like Tarana go 1-5 at home to start the season.
I don't know about that reasoning...AV said Cory is number Uno and he looks like an idiot right now, Play him or trade him or Luo, they are both starters. You can't let them both warm the bench, I don't care how Professional and Team they are it will effect them just as playing more effects confidence.

The only reason I can think they play Roberto the Cheater is to shop him...anything else..is uncivilized.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Tciso wrote:Outside of the first 26 minutes of the season, Schneids has a .935% save percentage. There really is no controversy. Lou is playing hot, getting the CoHo treatment, and has a .949% save percentage since the first game of the season too. There are a heck of a lot of teams that need to be looking at either of these guys as their new starters, and GMMG is waiting patiently as teams like Tarana go 1-5 at home to start the season.
Lou getting the CoHo treatment seems like a bit of a stretch. Starting against the Hawks and then against a very potent Oilers offense doesn't look like protected minutes to me.

But who knows what AV has up his sleeve. I do hope Cory gets the next start. He's gotta be hungry for an opportunity to showcase himself.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah Luongo wasn't red hot last game (albeit very good, but not stellar), time to give Schneider some starts now before he gets too rusty, we need him in game shape regardless, especially in this compressed schedule!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

wafflecombine wrote:
Lou getting the CoHo treatment seems like a bit of a stretch. Starting against the Hawks and then against a very potent Oilers offense doesn't look like protected minutes to me.

But who knows what AV has up his sleeve. I do hope Cory gets the next start. He's gotta be hungry for an opportunity to showcase himself.
I was more referring to playing him when he is hot, and giving him the exposure, not the "protected" minutes CoHo received. CoHo was getting more minutes though when he was being showcased too, to drive up his trade value. Lou is getting the minutes both because he is hot, and because imo, he is being showcased for trades.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Arachnid wrote:
I don't know about that reasoning...AV said Cory is number Uno and he looks like an idiot right now, Play him or trade him or Luo, they are both starters. You can't let them both warm the bench, I don't care how Professional and Team they are it will effect them just as playing more effects confidence.

The only reason I can think they play Roberto the Cheater is to shop him...anything else..is uncivilized.... 8-)

AV and MG are definitely shopping Lou, but, if the right deal does not come along, trading either of them is just bad business. I'd rather "look like an idiot" for having 2 #1 goalies than trading either one of them for less than they are worth, or for crap we don't need.

And, regarding being benched, look at Carey Price, or Tukka Rask. Both took the back seat to hot goalies during playoff drives, and both are now playing great. Schneider knows he is getting his fair share of the starts, and will get a heavy workload in the future. And, we also know he plays great, even with reduced numbers of games, so rust is not a factor to consider. If ego is a factor, then trade him. I don't think his ego is a problem either though.

As Taoism says "Only by doing nothing can we achieve everything" Regarding trading Lou this season, that is very wise advice.