So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by coco_canuck »

Many seem to assume it was Washington Gillis & Gillman were scouting yesterday, but doesn't Pittsburgh make more sense as a mystery team that has to move a player, i.e. Fleury?

The flower has been pretty inconsistent the last few years, with terrible playoff performances and some ups and downs in the regular season.

A team like Toronto or even Florida could probably take on Fleury's contract that only has 2 more years on it without giving up significant assets.

This is probably never going to happen but I'd say it's more likely than a trade with Washington.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

So, to add to Coco's speculation, Bob McKenzie said (via twatter):

"With regard to VAN's Gillis-Gilman in WSH yesterday, Caps haven't spoken to VAN about Luongo and apparently no appetite to do so."

Also "Luongo's contract not one WSH would entertain. That said, Caps' netminding not sharp of late but will ride it with Neuwirth-Holtby for now."

And "Oh, yeah, for consipiracy theorists, WSH isn't talking to VAN, has no plans to talk to VAN on any goalie. BTW, VAN isn't trading Schneider."

So, in other words, nothing is new. Could be Washington, could be Pittsburgh, could be that Gillis and Gilman wanted to take in a NHL game for fun (not likely). Who knows, but speculating is becoming a bit of a serious hobby in Canuck Land.

I still maintain that the best strategy is to ride Luongo and Schneider here in this oddball shortened season, hope the team gets and can stay healthy, add where needed towards the trade deadline and make another huge push towards the holy grail.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

herb wrote: I still maintain that the best strategy is to ride Luongo and Schneider here in this oddball shortened season, hope the team gets and can stay healthy, add where needed towards the trade deadline and make another huge push towards the holy grail.
Yup, unless Gillis gets a deal he can't refuse, keeping both makes a whole lot of sense.

Some argue that it's a poor allocation of resources to have two goalies eating up $9.3M in cap space but it's not like the Canucks have available options they can spend that money on. With the cap going down next year it's about cutting salary and adding some valuable, cheap assets. Those types of assets don't help the team now, so why dump Luo's salary just for the sake of it when that's a better off-season move?

I think if the Canucks had signed Doan, that would have been a reasonable allocation of Luo's salary that would make a in-or-pre-season trade more appealing. That would have caused some issues for next year's cap but with two buy-outs and improved play from Ballard the situation may have not been all that dire.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

While Luongo is clearly the frontburner Canuck trade item, it could also be the case that G & g are scouting for a trade that does not involve Bobby Lou, or Schneider either, but maybe some other deal they may be concocting. I'd imagine GMMG's discussions with other GM's don't solely revolve around his goalies.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Boston Canucker wrote:While Luongo is clearly the frontburner Canuck trade item, it could also be the case that G & g are scouting for a trade that does not involve Bobby Lou, or Schneider either, but maybe some other deal they may be concocting. I'd imagine GMMG's discussions with other GM's don't solely revolve around his goalies.
Likely candidates, Ballard and/or Raymond.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

coco_canuck wrote: Yup, unless Gillis gets a deal he can't refuse, keeping both makes a whole lot of sense.

Some argue that it's a poor allocation of resources to have two goalies eating up $9.3M in cap space but it's not like the Canucks have available options they can spend that money on.
Theoretically, if the Canucks are foregoing the opportunity of having somebody else on their roster who could help the team in another way, then having two #1 goaltenders is wasteful. There is no evidence that this is the case.

I am inclined to believe that the inevitable Luongo trade will bag us "futures" in the form of prospects and/or draft picks instead of veteran help; therefore I don't think there is any rush in making a move. When the right deal comes along, a move will be made.

If this was a full 82 game season, I could get behind it being odd that Luongo is still around, but since this is a whacko condensed schedule season where depth is going to be at even more of a premium that usual, I think having both will be an asset more than a liability.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

herb wrote:So, to add to Coco's speculation, Bob McKenzie said (via twatter):

"With regard to VAN's Gillis-Gilman in WSH yesterday, Caps haven't spoken to VAN about Luongo and apparently no appetite to do so."

Also "Luongo's contract not one WSH would entertain. That said, Caps' netminding not sharp of late but will ride it with Neuwirth-Holtby for now."

And "Oh, yeah, for consipiracy theorists, WSH isn't talking to VAN, has no plans to talk to VAN on any goalie. BTW, VAN isn't trading Schneider."

So, in other words, nothing is new. Could be Washington, could be Pittsburgh, could be that Gillis and Gilman wanted to take in a NHL game for fun (not likely). Who knows, but speculating is becoming a bit of a serious hobby in Canuck Land.

I still maintain that the best strategy is to ride Luongo and Schneider here in this oddball shortened season, hope the team gets and can stay healthy, add where needed towards the trade deadline and make another huge push towards the holy grail.

Of course they are talking - why wouldn't the Caps ask about what one of the Nucks' goalies would be worth? Their goaltending this year has been horrid, they are a veteran team that thinks they have a chance to win the cup but they need a goalie. If they haven't asked Gillis what he wants then they are idiots.

That said, I have no idea what this trip was about. Gillis plays his cards close to his chest and will always be that way. I find it quite entertaining watching people trying to figure out what he's doing.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Anyone who thinks Luongo will still be here when the trade deadline's done is dreaming. The coaching staff loves Cory and Gillis isn't going into the playoffs with a 5.3 million-dollar distraction on the bench. Lou is relaxed and playing great right now but the powers that be know damn well that will change in the post-season.

The Canucks still have a viable shot at Stanley and to let that big a cap hit ride the pine in the playoffs when we have big need of an upgrade up front would be stupid. Gillis knows this and he's riding Luongo while he's hot to drive up the price while other teams watch their goaltenders falter and start to get desperate.

We should get a very good roster forward and a really good prospect for Lou if he keeps playing with any semblance of the way he is right now.

I doubt he'll still be here in March.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

coco_canuck wrote:
herb wrote: I still maintain that the best strategy is to ride Luongo and Schneider here in this oddball shortened season, hope the team gets and can stay healthy, add where needed towards the trade deadline and make another huge push towards the holy grail.
Yup, unless Gillis gets a deal he can't refuse, keeping both makes a whole lot of sense.

Some argue that it's a poor allocation of resources to have two goalies eating up $9.3M in cap space but it's not like the Canucks have available options they can spend that money on. With the cap going down next year it's about cutting salary and adding some valuable, cheap assets. Those types of assets don't help the team now, so why dump Luo's salary just for the sake of it when that's a better off-season move?.
I have to agree. We can always buy out Ballard if we need more salary room this summer. But, I'd love a nice 3-4 year cheap contract for an up-and-comer as aprt of any deal, and not a $4.5 mil long term deal for a Brooks Laich kinda guy (great player, but expensive, and 29)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Tciso wrote: But, I'd love a nice 3-4 year cheap contract for an up-and-comer as aprt of any deal, and not a $4.5 mil long term deal for a Brooks Laich kinda guy (great player, but expensive, and 29)
Just for shits and giggles, Burr is set to have a $4.5 cap hit next yr. Not that I'm a proponent of acquiring Laich.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

CFP! wrote:
Tciso wrote: But, I'd love a nice 3-4 year cheap contract for an up-and-comer as aprt of any deal, and not a $4.5 mil long term deal for a Brooks Laich kinda guy (great player, but expensive, and 29)
Just for shits and giggles, Burr is set to have a $4.5 cap hit next yr. Not that I'm a proponent of acquiring Laich.
Burrows, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa all at 4.5 - 4.6. Edler and Kesler at 5 ,Sedins at 6..... Schneids at 4..... that's 44 million for 9 players. Basically 20 million more for 14 other guys and that's after they turf Ballard and Booth. Brooks Laich aint coming here.

Lu is playing great..... no need to make this deal until the summer time . If it isn't a good hockey trade with some good young talent coming back and a solid ufa rental ( who is NOT the centerpiece of the deal) then fuck it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

At this point I'd rather keep Ballard and get rid of Garrison lol.

As Ballard and Tanev are the #1 pairing for the Canucks!

Too bad that's NOT going to happen though, but the way Ballard is playing and stock rising, we should be able to get a quality return, especially for the teams most pressing need - a 3rd line checking center who can put some decent points.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Just for the kicks... if they wanted this badly, Pittsburgh can afford both Luongo and MAF this season. More than 8m in free cap space. Also: Brandon Sutter was among the "six for Cody". Excellent up and coming player on excellent contract, that's obvious. Experienced and excellent backup in Vokoun. I also remember that the Canucks were heavily interested in Beau Bennett in his draft year. Connecting the dots in a homerish way... ;)

That said, if Pens are willing to go with 2 very good starters, why can't we?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Here's the problem with Bold Move Gillis, he needs to learn that you must always trade from a position of strength, when things are going well, the stock is high, in which he won't. Now's the time to pull the trigger.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mpp wrote:Just for the kicks... if they wanted this badly, Pittsburgh can afford both Luongo and MAF this season. More than 8m in free cap space. Also: Brandon Sutter was among the "six for Cody". Excellent up and coming player on excellent contract, that's obvious. Experienced and excellent backup in Vokoun. I also remember that the Canucks were heavily interested in Beau Bennett in his draft year. Connecting the dots in a homerish way... ;)

That said, if Pens are willing to go with 2 very good starters, why can't we?
Apparently Sutter is NOT GETTING TRADED! This is was discussed on radio yesterday.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau