OOTS...2013

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: OOTS...2013

Post by dbr »

Benjo wrote:Sabres up 7-4 over the Bruins with 13 seconds left and Lindy Ruff calls a timeout :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanek with two 5 points games already :o
Oh yeah and John Scott injured Shawn Thornton in a fight three minutes into this game (B's have no update on Thornton's status but have made an emergency call up which says it's probably not looking great).

Musta felt great for the Sabres but two things I never understood about guys like John Scott who can barely take a regular shift.. on one side of the coin why does anyone engage him at all? Thornton would have been in tough just to hold his own, even he is a more usefull player than Scott so why not just let him skate around looking for a tilt and getting burned as long as nobody engages?

On the flip side, I don't get why Scott picks Thornton (beyond the fact that he's the only Bruin likely to go) - I could get behind the concept of carrying a thug like Scott in the lineup if he was apt to go all Gino Odjick on the players who actually have it coming, but is a buffoon like Milan Lucic really sitting on the bench thinking "wow he injured Thornton, guess I'll have to have a bit more respect for Miller the next time I have him in my sights"? :hmmm:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gotta give some kudos to PA Parenteau! I thought he was a one year wonder but he's still scoring strong..

He just did a deflection from in front of the net for his 6th goal of the season.

Nice pick up for the AVs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:
Benjo wrote:Sabres up 7-4 over the Bruins with 13 seconds left and Lindy Ruff calls a timeout :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanek with two 5 points games already :o
Oh yeah and John Scott injured Shawn Thornton in a fight three minutes into this game (B's have no update on Thornton's status but have made an emergency call up which says it's probably not looking great).

Musta felt great for the Sabres but two things I never understood about guys like John Scott who can barely take a regular shift.. on one side of the coin why does anyone engage him at all? Thornton would have been in tough just to hold his own, even he is a more usefull player than Scott so why not just let him skate around looking for a tilt and getting burned as long as nobody engages?

On the flip side, I don't get why Scott picks Thornton (beyond the fact that he's the only Bruin likely to go) - I could get behind the concept of carrying a thug like Scott in the lineup if he was apt to go all Gino Odjick on the players who actually have it coming, but is a buffoon like Milan Lucic really sitting on the bench thinking "wow he injured Thornton, guess I'll have to have a bit more respect for Miller the next time I have him in my sights"? :hmmm:
Everybody plays an inch taller when a guy like Scott's in the line up.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote: Everybody plays an inch taller when a guy like Scott's in the line up.
Not really.

And quite frankly the Sabers would be better off with a good defensive minded forward then someone who can beat up Shawn Thorton.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Everybody plays an inch taller when a guy like Scott's in the line up.
Not really.

And quite frankly the Sabers would be better off with a good defensive minded forward then someone who can beat up Shawn Thorton.
Agree with Pot here. The designated goon is such an overrated role in todays game. You counter it by not having one. Scott ain't much of a player, but Thornton is probably the best player of the game of all the designated goons in the league.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Watch Mallet drop a guy in his last fight on the 30th - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5R_eCAzj8s
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Not really.

Agree with Pot here. The designated goon is such an overrated role in todays game. You counter it by not having one. Scott ain't much of a player, but Thornton is probably the best player of the game of all the designated goons in the league.
Whatever, read the score compare it to the score of any Boston - Buffalo game last season and where is Thornton now? Oh yeah, in the trainers room for the foreseeable future...

yes it would be awesome to have a tough guy who can play or even better a real player who can FINISH fights but failing that any goon is better than no goon. ( no one says you have to dress him every night BTW)

What has all finesse and no back bone ever won?
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Nobody will Fuck with the Sabres anymore with Scott around... Lucic won`t run Miller nobody is taking liberties with the 160 pound Ennis... The one thing about the Bruins numbers do add up... Thornton,Lucic,Mcquaid,Chara,Campbell,Ference,Boychuk.. What Scott did was to take the temperature of the room down a notch... Don`t look now in the Eastern conference but there is an arms race going on Boston,Rangers,Philly,Toronto,Habs,Buffalo,Pittsburgh it seems some of these eastern clubs all have at least added one guy if not 2 to play a certain way and its not a puck possession game... fighting is up this year...

Getting back to Thornton and some saying why would he fight a guy like Scott... I seem to recall a Velvet Lavender wearing Sport Thornton in a he said she said debate with Gallagher last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjRiUOW ... sults_main
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Not really.

I agree with UK on this one: An inch taller.

And you can't tell me Sabre fans weren't thrilled to bits with Scott's little number on Thornton.

Is "thrilling the fans" still worth something in this day & age? :mex:

As for "a good defensive minded forward", they DO have Ott, Hecht, and Pominville in their Top 9.

Agreed: They need more of dat dere.

But until they find some of dat dere, it doesn't kill them to have Scott on the 4th line (they don't play that line much).

What's killing them is their centres not named Ott can't win faceoffs and can't play defense (Hods, Grigs, Ennis)

.... Hecht can play centre and is good defensively but he's horrible in the dot.

Anyway, point is, they have bigger problems than Scott on the 4th line right now imesho.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

paddy wrote: ... fighting is up this year...
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Maybe we should make inquiries about Darcy Hordichuk. :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Maybe we should make inquiries about Darcy Hordichuk. :lol:
There is no room on your Vancouver Canucks for a goon that can't keep up.

Be he a Hordichuk or a Scott.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Marchand takin it...

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Flames dominate Hawks and lose in a SO. It was a good game and I could not decide who I wanted to win. Of course you always want the divisional opponent to lose but I could not bring myself to cheer for the hawks. In the end, Calgary deserved 2 points and Chicago did not deserve a single point. Final score, 3-2, Hawks in a SO. Cowpuke is taking it pretty well considering Hossa tied it up with 2.6 seconds and then Kane scored the winner in the SO. Emery was all world tonight.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Flames dominate Hawks and lose in a SO. It was a good game and I could not decide who I wanted to win. Of course you always want the divisional opponent to lose but I could not bring myself to cheer for the hawks. In the end, Calgary deserved 2 points and Chicago did not deserve a single point. Final score, 3-2, Hawks in a SO. Cowpuke is taking it pretty well considering Hossa tied it up with 2.6 seconds and then Kane scored the winner in the SO. Emery was all world tonight.
Quite a difference from the night before in Vancouver . It's like their game got re- routed to O'Hare at YVR or sommat...
Can you imagine the Sedins with all that time that Glencross was given in front of Emery.