GDT...blahcocks n nucks

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT...blahcocks n nucks

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Offense - We still lack it. And puleease do not mention, Booth. This has been a problem even with both Kesler and Booth in the line-up.
These two players have the ability to add probably 30 goals in this shortened season. How that wouldn't help the offence I have no idea. The offence last year conveniently took a nose dive in January last year. The exact same time oth these two were injured and really never regained their game and strength.

I do agree with you that the offence starts with the defence but it makes a huge difference when you have a guy like Kesler anchoring the second line. He makes such a difference in our end helping the defence break out and minimizing the oppositions scoring chances.

Booth also helps significantly in this regard, with his speed and ability along the wall to get the puck out of our zone it causes the oppositions defence to sit back and refrain from pinching nearly as much. You've probably noticed that we have failed more than a few times to get the puck out past our blue line especially outside of our top line. Booth and Kesler are such a threat with their speed and scoring ability that this area will improve immensely with them back.

It is fantastic to see Luongo playing his focused game right now. This is how he plays when his head is in the game. He finds the puck through traffic, occupies a ton of the net, plays his angles fantastically and smothers rebounds. I was a tad worried when Toews bumped hm and he got distracted that he might lose his cool but he stayed focused and kept his head in the game.

He is showing why he is such s tradeable asset and why Gillis is waiting for the right deal to trade him. He is a positional goalie and always has been, he doesn't rely on quick reflexes or extreme athleticism to make saves. This bodes well for him playing at a high caliber late into his thirties. I think a lot have people have forgotten ow well Luongo can play and this is only going to increase his trade value!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

We've all seen Luongo struggle at times when the pressure is really on. I think that accounts for his slow starts every season.

This year the pressure is off, he knows Cory's the guy and he knows his days here are numbered. He's relaxed and he's playing as well as he ever has right now.

The Hawks are scary up front but they aren't the chippy team they used to be. Hope Bolland's out for the season.

Keith is a scared little bitch.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Dude that's 3 out of 4 of your "goats" that you've been ranting about for 18 months(ok Zack maybe less)... What will you do if Boothy(yes, Boothy) comes back and lights it up??

Maybe you should let up on the Gillis. His moves need time to mature...sorta like the barrel full of grappa you're hiding in your cantina
When have I not said I have been wrong about a player. I will be the first to admit that I tend to judge a player on the 'What have you done for me lately' merits and can be a bit militant on not allowing any wiggle room for said players to improve but I will not waiver on Booth for he is too fucking stupid to improve. As ya know, I am a fan of players with good hockey sense and heads up play and not a fan of the Steve Bernier, Brent Sopel, David Booth idiots of the hockey world. I mean, do you honestly imagine Booth being capable of pulling off a heads up pass that Kassian made to Edler on Edlers goal? Not a chance.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Booth also helps significantly in this regard, with his speed and ability along the wall to get the puck out of our zone it causes the oppositions defence to sit back and refrain from pinching nearly as much. You've probably noticed that we have failed more than a few times to get the puck out past our blue line especially outside of our top line.
My god man are we not watching the same player or what. David 'the Pavel Bure blueline cheater' Booth and defense cannot be used in the same sentence unless it's pointing out the fact that HE CANNOT PLAY DEFENSE.

Trust me, if the Ballard/Tanev pairing continue with their great chemistry and the Raymond/Schroeder chemistry continue. David Booth will be let go, bought out what you may.

Next season this team will be without Malhotra and Booth in the line-up thank Docs good buddy there - the man in the sky
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

As Rummy pointed out, these Blackhawks aren't the same chippy and physical bunch of years' past, even though they were considerably less physical even last year.

But they have a ton of talent that can tear teams apart. Saad is another elusive forward with a ton of skill who might develop into a very good offensive player for Chicago. Once the Canucks get healthy they should be able to not only keep up offensively but also dominate the Blackhawks on the physical side of the game.

Without Kesler, the Canucks simply can't be over aggressive versus a team like Chicago and that's why you pretty much saw a stalemate after the first goal until midway through the third. Chicago didn't simplify their game until later in the third and they were able to make the Canucks run around chasing on quite a few shifts later in the game, which was a change from the structured and fluid defensive coverage for much of the match on the Canucks' side.

It still seems this team isn't up to full game-shape because they started to sag once again late in the game.

The Canucks will be able to dictate the pace versus many teams even without a good 2nd line, but against the top teams like Chicago, SJ, LA etc. Van basically has to rely on a solid defensive game, great goaltending and opportunistic offense to beat the top teams. So expect more of the same in these types of games until Kesler returns.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

coco_canuck wrote:
But they have a ton of talent that can tear teams apart. Saad is another elusive forward with a ton of skill who might develop into a very good offensive player for Chicago.
Really impressed with Saad's game last night.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Dude that's 3 out of 4 of your "goats" that you've been ranting about for 18 months(ok Zack maybe less)... What will you do if Boothy(yes, Boothy) comes back and lights it up??

Maybe you should let up on the Gillis. His moves need time to mature...sorta like the barrel full of grappa you're hiding in your cantina
When have I not said I have been wrong about a player. I will be the first to admit that I tend to judge a player on the 'What have you done for me lately' merits and can be a bit militant on not allowing any wiggle room for said players to improve but I will not waiver on Booth for he is too fucking stupid to improve. As ya know, I am a fan of players with good hockey sense and heads up play and not a fan of the Steve Bernier, Brent Sopel, David Booth idiots of the hockey world. I mean, do you honestly imagine Booth being capable of pulling off a heads up pass that Kassian made to Edler on Edlers goal? Not a chance.
I'll give you that. You do admit you're wrong but in fairness you need to recognize your position typically is one of unjustifiable impatience.
I don't see Booth making that play no but his game is more of a driving the net and hard on the puck forecheck.
I recognize that if Booth gets "on his game" he is a huge asset. Can you or are you blinded by hate to the point where you only see a bible thumping, bear baitin', injury prone, head down waste of 4.3 million in cap space salary dump?
If you need air...call it in
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Uncle Dan, don't take the bear bait.

Booth was 4th on the team last season in scoring chance differential. He did it in half a season and with a gimpy centre. He also didn't have all the offence zone starts that the Sedins did. You can't do that if you can't play defence.

While paired with a gimpy Kesler, they possessed the puck at strong rates while playing largely against other team's top 6. Booth was also 86th amongst all forwards in even strength goals scored per minute played. There are 90 first liners in the league, so he scored as a first liner at even strength.

If you want to critique Booth over his style, that's fine, but I don't understand getting upset at an apple because it's not an orange.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LOL. I can't believe people here are still trying to have honest hockey conversations with a self-admitted troll. Amazing. :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RoyalDude wrote: Really impressed with Saad's game last night.
Yeah, very shifty and assertive.

There was never a question about his skill but so far the work rate seems excellent. Little reason to think he won't be a good player.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Uncle Dan, don't take the bear bait.

Booth was 4th on the team last season in scoring chance differential. He did it in half a season and with a gimpy centre. He also didn't have all the offence zone starts that the Sedins did. You can't do that if you can't play defence.

While paired with a gimpy Kesler, they possessed the puck at strong rates while playing largely against other team's top 6. Booth was also 86th amongst all forwards in even strength goals scored per minute played. There are 90 first liners in the league, so he scored as a first liner at even strength.

If you want to critique Booth over his style, that's fine, but I don't understand getting upset at an apple because it's not an orange.
He lacks the brain power to play a puck possession game that this team prides itself on, you are right about Booth being an apple in a basket of oranges. They say you judge a player's hockey sense by how much he gives up possession of the puck to the other team. Burrows and the Sedins are the best on the Canucks at maintaining puck possession, Booth is by far the worst. Not too mention he couldn't stick handle his way out of a phone booth nor pass his way out of a phone booth. I can't stand him. He's a liability and a big waste of money. Can't wait til he is no longer a Canuck.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:LOL. I can't believe people here are still trying to have honest hockey conversations with a self-admitted troll. Amazing. :lol:
Is that all you have to contribute around here? Poster critiquing? Jump into the fray my good man and stop being a whiner.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I believe booth will come back and eliminate the nay sayers...given 5-7 games
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Zack Kassian - I am eating cow regarding Zack
Yo momma?? :P

All I can say about this game is

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:I believe booth will come back and eliminate the nay sayers...given 5-7 games
But that would mean Dude would hafta "eat cow" again! :lol:

It's nice that Kess and Booth are getting time on the ice together as they work their way back from injury.

These two developing some chemistry and being inserted into this lineup

+ solid forward coming back in Lou trade

= HELLO STANLEY!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.