Canucks goalie controversy discussion thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Canucks goalie controversy discussion thread

Post by wafflecombine »

Just a spot where we can talk about our goalie situation in detail.

I saw this quote in an article this morning and though it was worth sharing and discussing.
NHL Insider - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6534 ... l:topheads

"We're past the point of disappointment and anger and frustration," Schneider said. "It is what it is. You just have to be a professional about it and handle it the right way and improve your game and try to get back into the net. I don't feel bad for myself. I don't think anyone else does. If I want to play, then I'll be better -- simple as that."

Most of the article is pretty positive but the tone of the quote from Schneider has me wondering how Schneider is handling this whole thing mentally. He's proven to be a great team-mate, great locker room guy and he and Lou are friends but deep down I think this whole situation is starting to bother him. We signed him to starter money in the off-season and likely (though I am speculating) made some pretty big promises to him.

Though I understand running with the hot hand and I really hope Lou plays like a demon tonight, I also really hope the next couple of starts belong to Cory, he plays lights out and the team actually plays like they can to help him. Though I am a huge Lou fan, I have come around to the notion that Schneider is our future and I don't want to see him soured...
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks goalie controversy discussion thread

Post by BladesofSteel »

Brought to you buy:

the TEAM 1040
Province Sports
and your friends at Maple Ridge Chrysler. "We're closer than you think."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think it's more than a reach to get to the conclusion that one of these guys has a problem with this situation that is severe enough that it's going to affect their conduct or play.

I know "goalie controversy" is a term that's used a lot in hockey and is more or less used in any situation where a team splits starts more or less evenly (but without a pre-established pattern), but the term controversy implies a debate that is being carried out in public and I can't think of anything further from the truth.

If the Canucks express some kind of policy towards the roles for Roberto and Cory and then subsequently backtrack on it, you've got a controversy. If guys are complaining in the media about their roles or how they are being handled by the team, you've got a controversy.

Until then you've just got two great goaltenders.

As for what I think of their roles this season - I think the team should split the games pretty well evenly (leaning towards whoever is hot at the time), then give Schneider most of the last 10 or so games to get into form for the start of the playoffs.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

No worries. I am simply borrowing the media description of the situation for the thread so we have a place to chat any/all things necessary in regard to having Lou and Cory in this current situation.

While I am not super concerned yet, I thought the tone of Cory's quote to the media was uncharacteristic of him and that it did show (whether real or manufactored by the media) some dissatisfaction with the current situation; for whatever reason.

While I am a huge fan and support both goalies, I also simply don't completely buy into the political spin being put on this by AV and MG on this issue. Please feel free to disagree with me but I do feel, whatever the outcome tonight (hoping for a solid win) that Cory needs to get the next 2-3 starts.

That gives him Oilers, Wild then Flames (assuming 3 starts)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

to me the enire situation is being played out as it is..simply beacause the right "trade" has not come forward.

Lou knows and corey knows Lou will be gone..its when is the question...so until then play your best and keep your head out of your ass....

Media is to report...if nothing interesting is available...develope something..lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

dbr wrote: Until then you've just got two great goaltenders.

As for what I think of their roles this season - I think the team should split the games pretty well evenly (leaning towards whoever is hot at the time), then give Schneider most of the last 10 or so games to get into form for the start of the playoffs.
Or unless one of them has a serious injury and has to miss a bunch of games.... :wow:

And then everyone will be talking about what a genius GMMG is. :D

How did losing Backstrom affect the Wild's playoff run last year?
How did losing Miller affect the sabre's playoff run last year?

(oh yeah, they never made the playoffs...)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

wafflecombine wrote:No worries. I am simply borrowing the media description of the situation for the thread so we have a place to chat any/all things necessary in regard to having Lou and Cory in this current situation.

While I am not super concerned yet, I thought the tone of Cory's quote to the media was uncharacteristic of him and that it did show (whether real or manufactored by the media) some dissatisfaction with the current situation; for whatever reason.

While I am a huge fan and support both goalies, I also simply don't completely buy into the political spin being put on this by AV and MG on this issue. Please feel free to disagree with me but I do feel, whatever the outcome tonight (hoping for a solid win) that Cory needs to get the next 2-3 starts.

That gives him Oilers, Wild then Flames (assuming 3 starts)
I'm not buying what the media is cooking here at all. Goalie controversy?! What goalie controversy? it's been pretty clear for at least two seasons now that the top job is being shared by two guys quite capable of being the sole number one. what's new?? Seriously.

Clearly the two have a good working relationship and are capable of putting the team first in the short term and by short term I mean the balance of this unusual lockout shortened season. Lets just keep out eye on the prize for gawds sake..

This media that's trying to create this controversy is the same media that sold out the Canucks on a regular basis during the finals against Boston and they can go f$&@" themselves as far as I am concerned.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

UK said:
they can go f$&@" themselves as far as I am concerned
what are you saying exactly? :twisted:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cory has waited patiently alot longer than most would and has always been the one to diffuse any talk of controversy.
The truth is Luongo has played better and he knows it. He needs to get his game back on track to the same level he has shown us all over the past 2 years because Luongo will lose again this year and then it'll be Schneids time.

This team needs to sharpen up in its own zone. Other than game 1, goaltending hasn't been an issue at all. I'd like to see our big 4 D-men wake up and start playing better.
If you need air...call it in
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Goalie controversy, goalie situation, stupid frackin media hype situation... call it whatever you like. I just made the thread so it was consolidated in one place rather than spread out accross multiple threads :)

All I am saying is the last interview Cory gave and the quote pulled was either a fluke or a possible sign of maybe there was something more too it. Regardless of its context, it caused me to raise an eyebrow.

I do agree with you Uncle Dan. In the past Cory has been excellent at being patient and diffusing any talk of controversy. That's why the quote seemed out of place. Its equally possible that the frustration that reads through in the quote is frustration at himself for not playing as well as he would want too.

Either way, the best way to solve all possible scenarios in my opinion is to give Cory the next few starts starting with the Oilers.

lol... so good that hockey is back. ;)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:UK said:
I dunno, I have trouble with "exactly" :D
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The quote does look out of place.

That being said (and I'm not going to go dig up examples of this, far too lazy) the way Cory talks I could see "We're past the point of disappointment and anger and frustration" meaning 'we're too mature to indulge in that' as much as 'we've already gone through that and despite the situation remaining the same we've moved on.'

The former simply means they're not going to go there whereas the latter would suggest that they've been there and done that and this has been something of an ordeal for everyone.

To be honest my choice to interpret that comment more charitably comes more from the respect Cory has earned over the years as a mature and articulate person than it does from the actual comment itself.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:UK said:
I dunno, I have trouble with "exactly" :D
Precisely as i thought... :eh:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I wonder how Blobby Mac is handling his Boi - Schneider's fall from grace?

It's the Luongo show now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

It doesn't matter what the media says or what the fans think. Those are just minor annoyances. More than anything it's how the Canucks are handling this internally. I hope too that Schneider doesn't sour on the organization but that will be dependent on what Vigneault and Gillis say and do. I just hope they recognize that both these men have been professional and respectful over the last few years so they should be treated accordingly.