So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by SKYO »

Potatoe1 wrote: Ballard has played like a 1.5 mill 6/7 defenseman, so yeah he is terribly over paid and the cap hit is very bad.
Booth on the other hand scored at a 23/82 pace with out significant ice time. His contract is probably fine if if the cap is in the high 60's low 70's.
With a shrinking cap he might be a little over paid but there is no comparison between his deal and Ballards. I also think Booth can improve his numbers if he can stay healthy, he was looking quite good before his leg injury.
Yeah I'm not worried about Booth, he will come back strong and has already showed signs of getting better here, plus he will be getting quality minutes with Kesler and 2nd unit powerplay time.
When he's fully healthy and get's more in tune with our systems I see him having a superb 2013-14' season, barring injury of course.

I'd like Ballard if he had a $1.5M cap hit for THIS situation on the Canucks as a bottom pairing 5th dman.

However I can really see KB flourishing on a team with not much pressure on them, while getting quality minutes (20-23 minutes per game) and powerplay/pk time, plus not playing with the bottom six forwards constantly! Like his best days with Phoenix when his partner was Morris iirc. Or in Florida with Boynton/Leopold.

Not to mention Ballard got to play with the better players on that team and he excelled! imo a team's management that has seen Ballard play when he was with Florida or Phoenix could pull the trigger to deal for him, while Ballards value is below what it should be and their team needing a viable top 4 dman.

This is what MG should be looking at right now, especially with all the injuries on defense around the league, MG could find a decent 3rd line center, who can sub in on the 2nd line immediately, in return for KB.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As for Edmonton being in on RL and without any of Oilers infamous top 4 coming here, the only deal that can blow the socks off of Canucks management and is semi realistic is Gagner, Paajarvi, and Klefbom for RL and maybe Rodin/Suave.

Thereby letting Edmonton keep their core best players and finally adding a bonafide #1 goalie in the process.

But I still like the Washington ideal of Johansson, Neuvirth and a bottom 6 player like Chimera or Beagle or Hendricks for Luongo + Raymond(who can take Johans spot on the top LW position then probably flourish with Ovechkin/Backstrom. However wasn't MG keen on Brouwer at one point? Only problem is his new contract is way overpriced at 3yrs/$11M.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

SKYO wrote:As for Edmonton being in on RL and without any of Oilers infamous top 4 coming here, the only deal that can blow the socks off of Canucks management and is semi realistic is Gagner, Paajarvi, and Klefbom for RL and maybe Rodin/Suave.

Thereby letting Edmonton keep their core best players and finally adding a bonafide #1 goalie in the process.

But I still like the Washington ideal of Johansson, Neuvirth and a bottom 6 player like Chimera or Beagle or Hendricks for Luongo + Raymond(who can take Johans spot on the top LW position then probably flourish with Ovechkin/Backstrom. However wasn't MG keen on Brouwer at one point? Only problem is his new contract is way overpriced at 3yrs/$11M.
not a snowballs chance in hell RL goes to edmonton.. as was said if coil involved its a 3 way deal sending RL elsewhere
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

SKYO wrote:However wasn't MG keen on Brouwer at one point? Only problem is his new contract is way overpriced at 3yrs/$11M.

Brouwer hits hard, plays good defence and can score 15-20 goals. Might be a bit overpaid with the cap shrinking, but I wouldn't call him way overpaid. I'd take him on my Canucks in the right trade
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
SKYO wrote:As for Edmonton being in on RL and without any of Oilers infamous top 4 coming here, the only deal that can blow the socks off of Canucks management and is semi realistic is Gagner, Paajarvi, and Klefbom for RL and maybe Rodin/Suave.

not a snowballs chance in hell RL goes to edmonton.. as was said if coil involved its a 3 way deal sending RL elsewhere
If Roberto's wife doesn't want him in Van then she sure as hell will veto Edmonchuk...just ask Mrs. Pronger....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

dbr wrote: Honestly I do wonder if the Canucks wouldn't have been better off trying to sign Zbynek Michalek, Paul Martin, Anton Volchenkov or even Jordan Leopold or Toni Lydman rather than trading for Ballard.

Lots of competent defenders went that summer.

Forgetting one other...Willie Mitchell.

For me the most regretable aspect of that trade is not Grabner..he's third if at all. I hated losing the 1st rounder but more than anything it spelled the end of Mitchell as a Canuck. I realize it would've been a gamble at the time given his health issues and it wasn't that we cast him aside as I believe we offered 3 and he took 3.5 from LA. With the additions of Ballard and Hamhuis we couldn't match.

Can you imagine having Mitchell, whoever we would've chosen with the 1st, and Grabner right now. Imagine having Mitch in the Finals against the Bruins.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I like Willie but he was done as a Canuck.

Mobility on the blue line is part of the Gillis philosophy and when they left neither Willie nor Mattias nor Sami had it.

Nevermind the injury situation, plus if I recall correctly Hockey Widow mentioned there were rumours that during the playoffs while Willie was out he made it known to the team that he would be more willing to return if negotiations were happening for an extension. If that's true I get where he was coming from, but still.. From the other side it could really be seen as burning a bridge.

Anyway the Canucks had been burned by injuries and lack of mobility on the blue line two years running, Mitchell was a part of both problems.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote: Mitchell was a part of both problems.
He should've gotten the damn puck out :evil:
I'd have let him go for that retarded play alone. Havlat probably sends him Xmas cards every year as a thank you
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Here is the trade

Forsberg
Carlson
Brouwer

for

Ballard
Luongo
Higgins

Gillis has always stated that he wants a good young player who is playing now (Carlson) and a prospect/pick (Forsberg) for Lou. We give them Ballard to replace Carlson and a swapping of bad contracts between Brouwer and Ballard.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Here is the trade

Forsberg
Carlson
Brouwer

for

Ballard
Luongo
Higgins

Gillis has always stated that he wants a good young player who is playing now (Carlson) and a prospect/pick (Forsberg) for Lou. We give them Ballard to replace Carlson and a swapping of bad contracts between Brouwer and Ballard.
Yeah some good options on Washington and NYI for a deal to be made.
Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote: Mitchell was a part of both problems.
He should've gotten the damn puck out :evil:
I'd have let him go for that retarded play alone. Havlat probably sends him Xmas cards every year as a thank you
lol yeah that was the final nail in the coffin for Mitchell's eventual departure, with everything DBR said above.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah, regarding Neiderrieter's trade demands, Gillis should be pursuing a trade with them, but would Lou waive for an Islander deal? Highly doubt it. But who knows maybe he holds a soft spot in his heart for them since they was the team that originally drafted him.

trade proposal

Luongo
Ballard
Higgins

Niederreiter
Visnovsky?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Forsberg
Carlson
Brouwer

for

Ballard
Luongo
Higgins

That would be the fleecing of all fleecing Dude. NO WAY IN HELL McPhee goes there.
More likely is they go into a rebuild and unload Green and OV
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:

Forsberg
Carlson
Brouwer

for

Ballard
Luongo
Higgins

That would be the fleecing of all fleecing Dude. NO WAY IN HELL McPhee goes there.
More likely is they go into a rebuild and unload Green and OV
From what I understand, Rebuild mode is not an option in Washington. That owner wants to win now. We can't be taking huge contracts back, so Green and Ovie are not an option for us, unless Gillis plans to use up his buyout option. From the sounds of it, Gillis does not want to go there.

Kuznetsov contract with his KHL team ends after this season, you know damn well he is coming to play in the NHL next year with Ovie. Why the hell would they be trading Ovie. Kuznetsov is the best prospect right now of all NHL teams. Most scouts consider him to be a better player than Tarasenko and Yakupov. With Kuznetsov waiting in the wings I see no reason why the likes of Forsberg, Wilson, Johansson and Carlson that untouchable. Carlson would be a tough one to snag. Not saying all of them, but parts of that 4 I could see being moveable.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Filip Forsberg would be the jewel I'd be angling for. I hear ya about Washington not going rebuild...it just seems to make the most sense from my perspective given they have a strong group coming up in a year or 2.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Toronto taken out 5 - 2.

Makes it more interesting with Toronto. Florida losing big time and Jose was taken out but he has played very well in his other 3 games so no rush from them.

Washington is interesting and if they don't make a move soon they could miss the playoffs.

Gillis is doing the right thing waiting to make a deal.